+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Not scene or booby related. DVD player related

Default Not scene or booby related. DVD player related

In the spirit of audiophile articles in playboy, I would like to propose a question out there that I can't get answered on the web or other forums. It's quite simple.

I've been through 4+ DVD players that all fail at what I need them to do.

Take a DVD with 400+ MP3's on them in DATA format and play them all randomly in a shuffle on repeat. That's it. Even if it's one time through.

Now I can find some that will shuffle play all files in ONE folder but only 140 max.

That's about it - All the rest only play a folder at a time and won't shuffle.

Ideally, I would like one that will not care about director hierarchy, will just read *.mp3 on the entire DVD, shuffle that data and play accordingly.

I know I can go the ipod or knock off mp3 player route (which I may) but my clients want a DVD player in case they, hell, I dunno, want to watch a DVD!

I thought the old APEX's did this but can't confirm. Best Buy are morons who don't know shit and don't keep remotes on hand to test them all.

^o^

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default Re: Not scene or booby related. DVD player related

Ok, I take it that they invested all their money into a big ass TV and sound system and the only stereo they have is a boombox from 1985? that is the only reason I can fathom why someone would want to go the entirely inconvenient route of using their DVD player for music.

No no no... nothing like that - It's just trying to kill two birds with one stone - They don't need blue-ray but I'm just trying to accommodate a DVD player with that option so there can be one less piece of shit in their media closet to deal with as they are not technophiles - they're technophobes... so the easier the better and nothing easier then applying old technology methods (CD) to the solution of endless music in their library.

If all else fails, I'll probably go the mp3 player route and be done with it or swap our her receiver to a Pioneer w/USB that apparently will do what I want w/a USB stick. My sister has one - I'll have to test it out - but I just wanted to check first as I know there's one out there that will do this - I just don't want to buy 100 DVD players and return them to find out... Cause I'm lazy like that.

ok - found one - mostly - Toshiba XDE-500 was working after all. I spazzed and thought when it said 140/140 mp3's found, that 140 was the max allowed and now what it read overall - duh... my programmers mind figured it would of had that 2nd number as the Max the system would be able to handle overall... like 140/999 or whatever -

It won't do a hierarchal read but that's fine - all mp3's plopped on the main dir will work.

woot

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Technically the PS/3 can run Linux. Code something up and run it on the hardware.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

my sony does a lot of shit................dunno if it'll do that.............of course 80% of what it can do will never get used

the sony's are notorious for not being able to play anything higher then 128KBps plus no shuffle. I tried one already... very strange considering the PS/3 is a nice piece of hardware yet all their other consumer stuff is crap. Except their headphones. My chewed up MDR-7506 headphones STILL sound brilliant and these are the same ones that I had BEFORE House of Usher

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I always use the stereo for music. I don't think I'll ever bother using a dvd player for that

..........Sony stuff ain't bad.............I guess as long as your like me and can't be bothered to use most of the features

+ Reply to Thread