+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fallen Idols

Anna Evans's Avatar Senior Member

Default Fallen Idols

One of the more interesting things about what I do is getting to meet a lot of people I've admired for years, and seeing what they're like in person.

At first, I was invariably disappointed, because they were...well, human. Not the epic gods I'd built up in my imagination. Now, I've adjusted to the fact that the artists I love are more than likely going to be drunk when I meet them, but they'll still make beautiful art when they've sobered up.

Have you gotten to meet anyone you had put on a pedestal? Did it change how you saw their work, or even other people in their line of work/art? Did it change how you saw yourself?

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Fallen Idols

I've gotten to the point where I can't really be bothered to meet people anymore.........if I like something I'll buy it, sometimes I might be interested in how it's made but I really don't care about the person behind it.
    That could also be the fact that I'm not too big a people person

Cool.

I think I'm mainly meeting people because we all do essentially the same thing, so we all go to the same parties and events. I don't think I'd go out of my way to meet anyone otherwise; I've never been much for following bands around or waiting after poetry readings to get signatures.

Aza's Avatar Extradimensional Penguin
    My home is everywhere and nowhere. I am the quintessential hobo.

The only celebrity I've ever idolized was Ogre from Skinny Puppy... but after seeing "Repo, the Genetic Opera," I don't even think as highly of him as I used to. The only person I've ever idolized who never disappointed me was my own father. Celebrities are just people like you and I... and likely to be less worthy of idolization than most of the rest of us.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

yeah, I've met a few blokes that seemed like they'd be cool and they turned out to be dicks.

that's pretty much most people, not just artists or celebrities.

Bedlamite

I've almost always idolized people in my personal life higher than others, and it wasn't so much... disappointment as being crushed when they leaped off their pedestal to punch me in the head...

Proverbially. Most of the time.

toxicat's Avatar catty member

Aw, furget it; I tawt it said, "feline idols".

toxicat's Avatar catty member

Usually, the big, big stars are pretty darn humble. Maybe many of
    them are more secure. One can speculate until the cows come home, and I'm not saying their personal lives aren't full of drama, but it's what I've noticed.

I am a big fan of Concreter Blonde's music. Loved the band from the first I heard of them.

Johnette Napolitano cured me of the whole celebrity thing in one short day.

Got an autograph at an autograph signing. I didn't have money for the charity it was for, so she crossed out her autograph.

I still buy the music because, well i love the music. But it really did get me to separate the art from the artist.

On the flip side, Jim Mankey was really cool. And he is, imho, one of the most underrated guitarists out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    yeah, I've met a few blokes that seemed like they'd be cool and they turned out to be dicks.

that's pretty much most people, not just artists or celebrities.
    Yeah, pretty much.

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

I don't find it strange that "idols" turn out to be regular eatin' drinkin' shittin' fuckin' humans; I find it strange anyone expects them to be anything else. Folks might kill for my cellphone contacts, but if I went on Millionaire I wouldn't risk any of them as a 'friend' past the first question.

If you put someone on a pedestal, they only look good from a distance. Get close and all you notice is smelly feet.

Tito, after I discovered the real truth and who he really was.

Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    Tito, after I discovered the real truth and who he really was.
    Tito Jackson?

...I met Robert Anton Wilson once. I wasn't really expecting much, since he makes such a fuss about not idolizing people, especially him. I expected a normal human being. He went out of his way to be a massive prick, and he knew, that I knew it was all an act, and he did it anyway. I actually didn't want to meet him specifically for this reason, but my friends insisted. Ah well. I am more pissed off that he's dead, and I won't get any new books from him than I am that he acted like a prick.

I was 'friends' with a total f-list celeb. That guy didn't have to go out of his way to act like a massive bowel movement either, but he did. At least that guy knows if I see his face, or any of his lackeys I'll put my fist through it. It kind of really pissed me off though because he used my friendship, and then acted like a twat to me, and I should have seen it coming for miles because that's who he is, and how he treats his "friends". C'est la merde.

theDragon_svDragcos's Avatar "Vampyre" / Senior Member
    ...~"No where in paticular"~...I've never had any Regular home ~ I moved around a'Lot.

I HAVE NEVER ~ "IDOLIZED" Any "CeLeBrItY",...
    there just other People as We are Pursuing their own Interests,
    As Many of Us do too,..

I Do "ADMIRE" Some Individuals,
    NOT BECAUSE They're FAMOUS,..
    but for The WORK Done,...

My FAVORITE ROCK n' ROLLER OF ALL,
    I MET "FOUR" TIMES Finally....
    just a Really Cool REAL Person,..
    ..NO GOD - No SuPeRhErO,..
    (*Gene Simmons, of "KISS"!)...

I Know other so Called "famous" people,..
    they're just "People" an' some are cool friends too,...
    "Diane Keeton", "Carol Kane",
    "Martin Landau", "Keifer sullivan"..."Tony todd",....
    are Cool an' I Got along Fine with them.
    ':-]

Xavialune's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cafe_Post_Mortem
    I am a big fan of Concreter Blonde's music. Loved the band from the first I heard of them.

Johnette Napolitano cured me of the whole celebrity thing in one short day.

Got an autograph at an autograph signing. I didn't have money for the charity it was for, so she crossed out her autograph.

I still buy the music because, well i love the music. But it really did get me to separate the art from the artist.

On the flip side, Jim Mankey was really cool. And he is, imho, one of the most underrated guitarists out there.
    What a bitch!

I think less of them now.I was a really big fan, too. Well eff her!

Id like to meet Mark Burgess (sp?) someday. The Chameleons I think are also one of the most underrated bands of all time.

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

I just realised I dont have any idols, there is only one person I want to be like but I wouldnt say he's my hero

Quote Originally Posted by Xavialune
    What a bitch!

I think less of them now.I was a really big fan, too. Well eff her!

Id like to meet Mark Burgess (sp?) someday. The Chameleons I think are also one of the most underrated bands of all time.
    Well, I still love the music, I just have to separate it from the personality. It kinda broke me of the celebrity thing, but I still love the music.

Besides Mankey was super nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Aza
    The only celebrity I've ever idolized was Ogre from Skinny Puppy... but after seeing "Repo, the Genetic Opera," I don't even think as highly of him as I used to. The only person I've ever idolized who never disappointed me was my own father. Celebrities are just people like you and I... and likely to be less worthy of idolization than most of the rest of us.
    I still haven't seen that. I keep saying I'm going to, and then keep not getting around to it. I ought to Netflix it, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly
    Tito Jackson?
    Josip Broz Tito

Xavialune's Avatar Senior Member

I know. But still...theres always that nag in the back of your head ya know? Like, I love the Sisters of Mercy, but I think Eldritch is a dickhead..so I'll never love them as much as I guess I should. (Idont like their later stuff anyway, or the fact they redid all their old stuff to sound like their shitty Vision Thing album...ick)

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

there's a few comic artists and flash artists i look up to like coop,jim balent, holly g, and stuff. met rick remender who did black heart billy and doll and creature as well as the last christmas he was kinda cool but he pisse dpeople off at the comic shop cus well, he was late getting there cus he had to stop at starbucks lol and jhonen vasquez is a nice guy from the few minutes i talked to him. arthur suydam is pretty laid back the first i met him. he gave me a weird look though when i told him im an artist cus he asked if i was a musician cus of my jacket (it's covered in buttons and pins and patches)

Quote Originally Posted by Xavialune
    I know. But still...theres always that nag in the back of your head ya know? Like, I love the Sisters of Mercy, but I think Eldritch is a dickhead..so I'll never love them as much as I guess I should. (Idont like their later stuff anyway, or the fact they redid all their old stuff to sound like their shitty Vision Thing album...ick)
    I fucking l.o.v.e SoM, and I think I actually admire them more for Andrew being a dick. I like that he did his thing and really, really avoided labels; it provided a nice counterpoint to me growing up, because I really embraced mine at 16 and still do at 22.

I used to think Perry Farrel was pretty awesome, but he's really fallen off.

I too really like the Sisters and also agree Andrew acts like a cunt. Vision thing is the weakest album, and he's fallen off. I'd be nice if he came out with some new songs.

I miss Anna Nicole Smith

+ Reply to Thread