+ Reply to Thread

Thread: is there a healing/comfort power to dolls?

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

Default is there a healing/comfort power to dolls?

some of my freinds understand it some dont but anyway, i have a thing about collecting plushies or dolls. mostly spooky or monster ones though like the skeleanimals and pooka the goblin cat and i have a cthulu plushie too. 9the black and orange halloween one.

but i've always believed that dolls are more than just little toys we have that we setup on display to look at. i think about things like voodoo practice in which dolls are used as a targeted avatar or statuary where idols are found because idols are after all, a type of doll.

recently between my ex having her breast cancer scare and my mom with her operation, i've been under a lot of mental fatigue so ive gotten accustomed to sleeping with my sally monkey doll (shes the monkey skeleanimal ive got the pink one) and i hug my pooka from time to time too.

when i went to visit my mom in the hospital before bringing h rhome, i grabbed her an emporer penguin plushie fromt eh gift shop and told her it was so someone could be there with her in case i was late or couldnt make it down to see her and she says it helped. since shes been home, kevin, what shenamed him, hasnt left her bedside.

i believe dolls can be a very dependable silent friend when there's noone else to turn to personally. but some of my friends think they're just toys.

what about you?

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

Default Re: is there a healing/comfort power to dolls?

dolls creep me out.

im sorry

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm
    im sorry
    heres a piccy of my dolls. the cat is pooka from the comic book tarot witch of the blackrose by jim balent and holly golightly and the pink monkey one is my sally monkey, the one i sleep with. they're nott oo spooky i hope lol

You have to ask yourself the question, "Do they comfort me and bring me power?"

If you feel more at ease in their presense, or you feel like your more powerful, than chances are that you are indeed more comfortable and more powerful. Anything can be a power focus and comfort object so long as it bring comfort and power to your subconcious mind. A 10 inch dildo named Chocolate Thunder could bring you power, if something like that did in fact bring you power and comfort (I don't mean physical comfort... or maybe I do )

Oh, and I read about the 10 in dildo in short story by Sherman Alexie.

well, my sally monkey and pooka especially make me feel comfy, my cthulu kinda freaks me out but that's cus its cthulu and even in plushie form, he's creepy. wouldnt say powerful though,

i would rely power on my crystal and fairy bell necklace and my red agate stone earring i occassionally wear. (i always wear my necklace but i have sensitive ears and the earring makes my ear itch)

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

I had a pentacle necklace but I broke the chain and I only just found a replacement, and now I have to go to my girlfriends house cos I left the pendant on her desk so I woldnt lose it. does that cunt? xD

Clockwork Jello's Avatar Droog

Of course they have power. They have it because you give it to them. Same reasons placebos work. I believe very heavily in faith and energy. This is just an example. I mean it all works on the same sympatheic principles as a curse, just in opposite I guess. You place the that comforting energy into it because of how you perceive it.

At least, that is what I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk
    I had a pentacle necklace but I broke the chain and I only just found a replacement, and now I have to go to my girlfriends house cos I left the pendant on her desk so I woldnt lose it. does that cunt? xD
    I'm wierd about my jewelwry too.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm
    im sorry
    why? different strokes for different folks.........

i dunno really. i guess im just used to saying it?

I think the two are not mutually exclusive. Obviously they are toys, but if you're developing feelings towards them as you would a living creature, then apparently they can be a unilateral kind of friend, also.

And yes, that gives them 'comforting powers'; or rather, your mind has the ability to be comforted, and the doll triggers it.

It's not really a mystical thing, just an onorthodox application of the human psyche.

Quote Originally Posted by Raza
    It's not really a mystical thing, just an onorthodox application of the human psyche.
    That's all mysticism really is.

ROGIZOID's Avatar The Grey Child

Dolls are awesome decoration.
    They show the inner child of people.

But i do not think there is any comfort outside the squisky soft feeling of them.
    They do not give me peace of mind.
    But boy do i love to cuddle lol.
    <3

he likes to do that. that was a response to what valerian posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Valerian Reign
    That's all mysticism really is.
    At the best of times. There's a lot of mysticism that is neither unorthodox nor applicable, but I will agree that none of it is mystical.

Does your body energies like chakra apply as a mysticism?

So I'm envisioning these swirls of colored energy filling in a bunch forms and turning them in at a desk now...

Anyway, I'd say so, yeah. Any 'energy' that doesn't appear in physics of chemistry would be either that or fiction, or both.

Lol @ scientists who pick a theory and then go looking for observable phenomina for it to explain.

Iunno. That doesn't really tell me anything useful. There's many ways by which light, electromagnetism and radiation may be created, and those few paragraphs don't even begin to explore possible sources within or without the test subject, let alone exhaust them to the point where their observations could be titled unexplained and thereby require a new hypothesis. Aside from that, they'd really need some sort of idea of what a chakra is supposed to be and do before they can attempt to falsify or find evidence for it through experimentation.

Do Realdolls count? If I were rich, I'd buy like 15 of those things and set them all over the house. Like one of them taking a shit in the bathroom. Maybe another one looking out window. A couple around the dinner table. That would be kind of fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Toe Cutter
    Do Realdolls count? If I were rich, I'd buy like 15 of those things and set them all over the house. Like one of them taking a shit in the bathroom. Maybe another one looking out window. A couple around the dinner table. That would be kind of fresh.
    oh! you talking about the really expensive sex dolls? lol those are trippy. i think they even ahve an anime feature now where you can make their skin like pink and green and shit give em big eyes and stuff. that would be trippy.

+ Reply to Thread