+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 28 of 28

Thread: Do you ever rehearse what you are going to say?

  1. #1
    Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Born in London. Lived everywhere.
    Posts
    7,181

    Default Do you ever rehearse what you are going to say?

    Do you ever rehearse what you are going to say? If so, what sorts of situations do you tend to do this for? Difficult phone calls? High pressure parties? Break-up conversations? Job interviews? Public speaking?

  2. #2
    malcolm's Avatar the bored one.
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Memphis originally
    Posts
    3,626

    Default Re: Do you ever rehearse what you are going to say?

    sometimes. usually for breakup situations but for some reason it never comes out as i rehearsed.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Do you ever rehearse what you are going to say?

    Not in that exact sense, but I tend to run arguments and even full-fledged debates through my mind when I'm not using it for anything else, just formulating opinions and see how they translate and hold up in more concrete verbal form. I don't really do it to prepare for specific events where I'll be sharing those opinions, although I occasionally end up using shreds or particularly versatile or catchy phrases if a situation does end up asking for it. Most of the time I'll have forgotten, but the process does make it easier to come up with alternative phrasings of a similar angle.

    I don't think I'd consider myself better prepared for having a single one-sided speech readied with zero on-the-spot adaptability. A lot of my interest in language and conversation stems from the communication of logic, and since the reasoning required to deal with a situation can change around completely at a single word or observation, my grasp of language will need to be equally versatile.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Do you ever rehearse what you are going to say?

    I remember doing it... same as raza did. But then I grown tired of debates and conversations.

    It feels like everything has been said already. Same as with clothes. It feels like all possible forms and combinations have been created. Now is only colors and patterns left to explore.

  5. #5
    Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Currently residing in my mind's eye
    Posts
    2,768

    Default Re: Do you ever rehearse what you are going to say?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raza
    Not in that exact sense, but I tend to run arguments and even full-fledged debates through my mind when I'm not using it for anything else, just formulating opinions and see how they translate and hold up in more concrete verbal form. I don't really do it to prepare for specific events where I'll be sharing those opinions, although I occasionally end up using shreds or particularly versatile or catchy phrases if a situation does end up asking for it. Most of the time I'll have forgotten, but the process does make it easier to come up with alternative phrasings of a similar angle.

    I don't think I'd consider myself better prepared for having a single one-sided speech readied with zero on-the-spot adaptability. A lot of my interest in language and conversation stems from the communication of logic, and since the reasoning required to deal with a situation can change around completely at a single word or observation, my grasp of language will need to be equally versatile.
    Wow! You are so into debates, you even debate yourself.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Do you ever rehearse what you are going to say?

    Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    It feels like everything has been said already. Same as with clothes. It feels like all possible forms and combinations have been created. Now is only colors and patterns left to explore.
    I think that kind of feeling stems mostly from a lack of imagination. That's not unique or even specific to you; as humans we just tend to judge everything from a frame of reference built around what we've already seen, but looking back people that thought they'd reached the peak were always wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones
    Wow! You are so into debates, you even debate yourself.
    Quite. In fact, they're generally the debates most worth having. The rest of you are useful for that self-image-through-social-reflection thing our minds do, but fuck if you say much of anything useful.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Do you ever rehearse what you are going to say?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raza
    I think that kind of feeling stems mostly from a lack of imagination. That's not unique or even specific to you; as humans we just tend to judge everything from a frame of reference built around what we've already seen, but looking back people that thought they'd reached the peak were always wrong.
    I'm aware that in future there will be new debates and new topics to talk about but it still feels empty around here. I have feeling that you can empathize with that feeling too.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Do you ever rehearse what you are going to say?

    Somewhat. 'Debate' sections and topics do tend to be dreadfully repetitive, and even if my own opinion doesn't fall into the spectrum that's always well-represented I will have heard it a dozen times before. It's not abortion rights, elections or even the pedo debate that occasionally make me realise new things about myself and where I stand in the world though; it's all the far more open ended subjects and questions on everyday thoughts that seem to have all the unexpected angles with their own validity to them.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Do you ever rehearse what you are going to say?

    It feels like everything has been said already. Same as with clothes. It feels like all possible forms and combinations have been created. Now is only colors and patterns left to explore.
    Color and patterns are metaphor to topics and points.

    As for the topic, rehearsing something is just sort of self mimicry. And what's mimicry else than a tool of evolution.

  10. #10
    Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    4,723

    Default Re: Do you ever rehearse what you are going to say?

    not really...................I do talk to myself a lot though

  11. #11

    Default Re: Do you ever rehearse what you are going to say?

    I do if it is important. Then I forget what I wrote down or the situation I was preparing for crops up before I am ready, like the time that my parents told me I should stop being Goth and reviewing porn in case one day I should somehow desire to join the ranks of the apathetic sheep by pulling the wool over my eyes. So instead I just exploded and my dad said I was mentally unstable. Of course I am going to be piss angry that you told me to change my fucking lifestyle, idiot! I had been dreading that conversation for months, though. So, all the rage that I kept bottled up just came out. Still, it was nothing compared to what I could have said. I could have verbally flayed his lifestyle, but I held my tongue. I love my parents, but... for fuck's sake... I'd rather be dead than adhere to the ridiculous social normative. I told them that, too. I think that they finally realized I was serious, though. So, that's good. Haven't gotten that talk, yet.

    But... things would have gone more smoothly if I had written down an awesome rebuttal because I definitely anticipated such a question.

  12. #12
    toxicat's Avatar catty member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    SF
    Posts
    390

    Default Re: Do you ever rehearse what you are going to say?

    if I have a play or a monologue!

  13. #13

    Default Re: Do you ever rehearse what you are going to say?

    Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    Color and patterns are metaphor to topics and points.
    Awesome.

    ('Awesome' is a metaphor for 'I don't see it.')

  14. #14

    Default Re: Do you ever rehearse what you are going to say?

    I don't blame you.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Do you ever rehearse what you are going to say?

    I blame the economy.

  16. #16
    malcolm's Avatar the bored one.
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Memphis originally
    Posts
    3,626

    Default Re: Do you ever rehearse what you are going to say?

    and i blame michael bay:

  17. #17

    Default Re: Do you ever rehearse what you are going to say?

    I dunno who that is, but yay for kittens.

  18. #18
    malcolm's Avatar the bored one.
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Memphis originally
    Posts
    3,626

    Default Re: Do you ever rehearse what you are going to say?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raza
    I dunno who that is, but yay for kittens.
    he was playing jenga until michael bay came along and added about 90% too much lightning bolts, explosions and fires to it.

  19. #19
    toxicat's Avatar catty member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    SF
    Posts
    390

    Default Re: Do you ever rehearse what you are going to say?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raza
    I dunno who that is, but yay for kittens.
    indeed!
    (Cat pass up the op to second a kittenic diversion post.)

  20. #20

    Default Re: Do you ever rehearse what you are going to say?

    I occasionally rehearse what I have to say if it's something important, but then I throw out the script. The rehearsal is to help me make sure I have all of my thoughts in order and that they make sense.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Do you ever rehearse what you are going to say?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raza
    Not in that exact sense, but I tend to run arguments and even full-fledged debates through my mind when I'm not using it for anything else, just formulating opinions and see how they translate and hold up in more concrete verbal form. I don't really do it to prepare for specific events where I'll be sharing those opinions, although I occasionally end up using shreds or particularly versatile or catchy phrases if a situation does end up asking for it. Most of the time I'll have forgotten, but the process does make it easier to come up with alternative phrasings of a similar angle.

    I don't think I'd consider myself better prepared for having a single one-sided speech readied with zero on-the-spot adaptability. A lot of my interest in language and conversation stems from the communication of logic, and since the reasoning required to deal with a situation can change around completely at a single word or observation, my grasp of language will need to be equally versatile.
    Your first paragraph actually describes really well what I do. My interest in language and conversation stems more from the communication of feelings and ideas than logic, though. While I am hardly an opponent of logic, I am just a little wary of it, as many totally wrong things can be logically argued, and as many questions don't necessarily have a logical, yes/no type answer.

  22. #22
    athenahollow's Avatar Smut Peddler
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    522

    Default Re: Do you ever rehearse what you are going to say?

    I don't rehearse before, but I always kick myself for thinking of something wittier to say afterwards.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Do you ever rehearse what you are going to say?

    All the time. It's embarrassing when someone catches you doing it, though.

  24. #24
    VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    the planet zorg.
    Posts
    2,205

    Default Re: Do you ever rehearse what you are going to say?

    no, but maybe I should. I am the queen of inappropriate sometimes.

  25. #25
    mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada;)
    Posts
    1,562

    Default Re: Do you ever rehearse what you are going to say?

    Only when I'm calling in sick to work, and I'm not sick.

  26. #26
    Dusk's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    759

    Default Re: Do you ever rehearse what you are going to say?

    I do sometimes, then I open my mouth and something completely different comes out.

  27. #27

    Default Re: Do you ever rehearse what you are going to say?

    Quote Originally Posted by batzilla
    Your first paragraph actually describes really well what I do. My interest in language and conversation stems more from the communication of feelings and ideas than logic, though. While I am hardly an opponent of logic, I am just a little wary of it, as many totally wrong things can be logically argued, and as many questions don't necessarily have a logical, yes/no type answer.
    If they can be logically argued, how do you know they're wrong?

  28. #28
    Dusk's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    759

    Default Re: Do you ever rehearse what you are going to say?

    Epically when they have logic that backs their side up, logic that is as flawless as what your using

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Blue Blood
Trappings | Personalities | Galleries | Entertainment | Art | Books | Music | Popcorn | Sex | Happenings | Oddities | Trade/Business | Manifesto | Media | Community
Blue Blood | Contact Us | Advertise | Submissions | About Blue Blood | Links | $Webmasters$
Interested in being a Blue Blood model, writer, illustrator, or photographer? Get in touch