+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What is healthy to eat in the morning?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default What is healthy to eat in the morning?

I hear that eating in the morning is better for sustainable energy and that sort of thing and that downing an iced latte does not counting as eating breakfast. But I am totally stumped on what to eat in the morning and I think I am spending more time wondering about morning food than eating it. What is healthy, not too carby or sweet, and is good for get up and go?

Bloodcountess's Avatar Member

Default Re: What is healthy to eat in the morning?

It is important to eat bread or something else with fibres, like cereals.
    I like eating bread with tomato ketchup, it is quite fast to prepare too...
    But maybe kinda weird, yeah...

Sceptic_Messiah's Avatar Senior Member

fried bacon........it makes u less grumpy through out the day apparently and keeps people in a better mood

poison's Avatar Senior Member

i don't excatly know what is healthy but since i'm on a healthier diet than i'm used to....when i eat breakfast (which is becoming more often, tho' i don't usually want to eat at 6:00am!) i eat bran flakes with semi-skimmed milk....and i DO enjoy them ,so many people complain they taste horrible!

corachaos's Avatar Dorky Girl

An egg or two scrambled with a small bit of cheese. or
    A begal with low fat cream cheese. 0r
    V8. or
    A Sonic or Mc Donald's Breakfast Burrito. or
    A Slim Fast. or
    A serving of beef jerky.

:-)

My favourite breakfast food has always been oatmeal. I cook up a bowl in the microwave and then add milk and lots of cinnamon-sugar. mmm... yummy

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Well eggs is a good choice, there's always kippers and kidney pie, bagels aren't necessarily low carb but Kashi Cereal with soy milk is always good (get the one that's the "rocks" not the "twigs" you'll see what I mean). Wow, other than that everything is sweet and doughy and/or fried. If I was you I'd skip the serving of Beef Jerky, more nitrates than one needs that early. If you hadn't ruled out sweets I'd have suggested white chocolate reeses with your iced latte. Happy eating.
    K

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

Cereals esp hot cereals unless your on that crappy atkins diet you want to make sure your getting a decent amount of carbs in the morning because that is where your body gets most of its energy so eating bagels and things like that help allot too also eggs haggis is great if you can stomach it

Hula Hoop Supervisor

One of those Zone bars...damn things are like a meal unto themselves.

purplepixie's Avatar Senior Member

im back at college so im back on fried bacon, sausages,eggs, fried toast and beans yum yum............................................... ......i wonder why im still skinny

probably because i rarely eat if ever through the rest of the day

Mother Superior

purplepixie: May I ask, what is fried bread? I assumed it was bread buttered then toasted maybe?

AmeliaG: A piece of fruit and cereal is excellent, and keeps you full for quite along time. If I have a heavy breakfast I am way too tired to do anything remotely productive. Eating breakfast will help you in not eating and possibly resisting a lot of other food during the day i.e snacking. I also read when you get a craving for something that isn't good for you,wait 10 minutes,most of the time that craving will pass.

I was having the same dilemma myself, I eat a lot of vegetables but who wants to be face to face with a carrot when they first wake up? Yogurt is very good for you because it has enzymes that help you digest your food, but don't get any diet or light yogurt because it has aspartame, a neurotoxin. Natural yogurt is best, with natural sweeteners like fruits and a little honey. Eggs are a great idea, especially boiled. If you're going to eat bread products whole grain wheat is the way to go, the less processed the better, especially since white bread often contains processed sugars and bleach that can be addictive and certainly isn't good for you. Bananas, oranges, apples (but not red delicious, they are genetically altered and leach nutrients from your body), cranberries, etc..

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

holy shit dude, you don't know what fried bread is? it's this stuff made by the indians.. hm. and since the native-americans don't call themselves "indians" nor do they fry stuff, it's probibly some jive made by a honky white man. actually I think it's spanish in origin. anyways, it's good. you should try some.

Fruit!

I usually have an apple, an orange, two kiwis, and a banana....I usually parcel these out through the day until I get up to lunch. Spoil yourself and have some strawberries too !

Hmmm...I should have mentioned I'm a veggie in my intro thread, shouldn't I?

Fried bread is nice, but very high fat n' cholesterol...haven't had it in years, but it's something you have to try!

Slave326667's Avatar Slave & Master.

What I found to work extremely well as breakfast, is a nice bakery bought bagel, with some cheese of some sort on one side, with some lettuce in the middle, and get creative with the other side of your bagel ITS FUN!, and some kind af fruit, grapefruit goes quite well, then I'm usually good for quite some time, and I'm a fairly active person, so thats saying something. I think the fats you consume in the morning are what does it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirren
    purplepixie: May I ask, what is fried bread? I assumed it was bread buttered then toasted maybe?

AmeliaG: A piece of fruit and cereal is excellent, and keeps you full for quite along time. If I have a heavy breakfast I am way too tired to do anything remotely productive. Eating breakfast will help you in not eating and possibly resisting a lot of other food during the day i.e snacking. I also read when you get a craving for something that isn't good for you,wait 10 minutes,most of the time that craving will pass.
    fried bread is simply bread thats been fried until it kind of resembles toast its the best thing in the world well at least i think it is alot of people hate it

countessnichole's Avatar Wicca, Friend, Lover.

A bowl of Apple Jacks and a glass of chocolate milk... At least that's good for me.

milk&honey(energy shoot) and banan or apple

force your self..... it's gonna give you good feeling from morning....

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

Red River Ceral, It's a warm ceraland has flax and rye seed and other grains, I have witha little milk and bucwheat honey, it's similar ot Kasha which is popular in the Slavic countries. Purple Pixies breafast is good too as a Kiekos ideas. I oftern will have tea firts thing or hot choclate and then grab a coffee, I have learned I am one of those people that are like a deisel engine and I take time to warm up and wake up in the morning breafast deffinetly helps. The thing that is good about getting grains like warm cereals and healthy bread..I LOVE RYHE BREAD TOAST!!!! is it is bulky and stay with you longer not making you so hungry.

Fruit is always good in the morning,yummy and clean burning.Protein shakes,if you can find one that doesn't taste like ass.I like frosted mini wheats or quaker oats(the real stuff not instant) w/ bananas and raisins too.

and your little dog too

maalox

bre.star's Avatar Senior Member

i eat honey nut cheerios every morning

"i lowered my cholesterol!!!"

hrmm but really if you dont mind eating cereal and you want something super healthy, full of protein, low in carbs, and good in taste, try Kashi Go Lean Crunch. Make sure its the go lean CRUNCH because its the best tasting one.... the only downside to it is that if u eat too much ull end up farting because it has a lot of fiber...

oatmeal and some fruit are ideal

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

capn crunch or lucky charms

Belladonna's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    Cereals esp hot cereals unless your on that crappy atkins diet you want to make sure your getting a decent amount of carbs in the morning because that is where your body gets most of its energy so eating bagels and things like that help allot too also eggs haggis is great if you can stomach it
    what is haggis. it sounds gross.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Belladonna

It is pretty gross. I watched my mother eat it more than once in Scotland.

Lamb Chomps : Salty, Rare, and Bloody!

and your little dog too

Quote Originally Posted by Belladonna
    recipe for haggis from rampantscotland.com

Ingredients:
    Set of sheep's heart, lungs and liver (cleaned by a butcher)
    One beef bung
    3 cups finely chopped suet
    One cup medium ground oatmeal
    Two medium onions, finely chopped
    One cup beef stock
    One teaspoon salt
    ½ teaspoon pepper
    One teaspoon nutmeg
    ½ teaspoon mace
    Method:
    Trim off any excess fat and sinew from the sheep's intestine and, if present, discard the windpipe. Place in a large pan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for an hour or possibly longer to ensure that they are all tender. Drain and cool.

Some chefs toast the oatmeal in an oven until it is thoroughly dried out (but not browned or burnt!)

Finely chop the meat and combine in a large bowl with the suet, oatmeal, finely chopped onions, beef stock, salt, pepper, nutmeg and mace. Make sure the ingredients are mixed well. Stuff the meat and spices mixture into the beef bung which should be over half full. Then press out the air and tie the open ends tightly with string. Make sure that you leave room for the mixture to expand or else it may burst while cooking. If it looks as though it may do that, prick with a sharp needle to reduce the pressure.

Place in a pot and cover with water. Bring to the boil and immediately reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for three hours. Avoid boiling vigorously to avoid bursting the skin.

Serve hot with "champit tatties and bashit neeps" (mashed/creamed potato and turnip/swede). For added flavour, you can add some nutmeg to the potatoes and allspice to the turnip/swede. Some people like to pour a little whisky over their haggis - Drambuie is even better! Don't go overboard on this or you'll make the hggis cold.

HelenaHotpants's Avatar Exception, not the rule

I tried those Nouriche fruit and yogurt smoothies....
    Ewww! Avoid at all costs unless you like chemically aftertastes. Better off to just eat a yogurt itself.

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

Healthy to eat in the morning?

ME!

Ok seriously if I do eat breakfast I like yougurt or fruit. Toast especially. Although eating a big meal after waking tends to leave me cranky and sleepy.

Not that I'm frequently cranky...o_0

I like having apple sauce (unsweetened) with a slice of litely buttered toast. I'm Native (Ojibwe) and I occassionally have some fry bread, mostly at Pow-wows (a Native social gathering). Some people like to use fry bread and turn it into a taco (Indian taco). It is topped with chili, cheese, lettus, tomato and whatever suits your fancy (I like onions).

Zoe_Zoebaboe's Avatar Senior Member

I like eating peach oatmeal.

Yum!!

The good thing about breakfast is that it doesn't have to be a huge thing, just something to tise you over till lunch. A bannana and an orange works well also

that depends a lot on how your body processes certain foods, blood sugar levels, etc. I have 16 oz. of soymilk with some sugar free carnation instant breakfast, & a heap of vitamins. other people need something more substantial in the morning. eggs are great with all the protein & taurine, but I would recommend the whites only. or if you eat the whole egg, don't use cheese. on or t'other. an egg white spinach fritatta with a bit of parmesan sprinkled on it gives you a nice protein kick in the morning as well. and also, a lot of it depends upon what your goal is. general health? weight loss? prolonging life? different strokes for different folks, ya know!

DPietz's Avatar Member

Can you count it as breakfast if your first meal is 2 in the afternoon?

Or do I have to count the overpriced bagel I get from the campus dinning hall?

~D

I'm on the low-carb thing too, usally when I eat breakfast, I have some eggs and MorningStar Farms vegetarian-sausage (which in my opinion as a BIG-TIME sausage eater it the BEST fake sausage around).

Oh, and dont forget the coffee strong enough to melt the finish off your car. Especially now that this new study says coffee is actually "good for you" (preventing heart disease I think).

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

eat haggis...

+ Reply to Thread