+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LA Ink - are sweeping romantic gestures or serious future talk good for a first date?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default LA Ink - are sweeping romantic gestures or serious future talk good for a first date?

People keep talking about the LA Ink show and I regularly drive past the shop, so I finally watched a couple episodes. In this week's episode, the receptionist who gets on everybody's nerves is set up on a blind date with a guy in an apparently successful band. So the band guy Jason (whose band they never mention due to TLC's weird anti-promo reality show rules) takes the receptionist Aubry to a date at a roller rink he knows the owner of where they have the place all to themselves (and the reality show camera crew.) Aubry starts talking about how she wants to have a baby and a husband or maybe just have a baby on her own. This is a first date.

Is making a sweeping romantic gesture like reserving a whole roller rink for a private date a good first date move or does it set up a relationship for disappointment when every day is not like that?

Is it appropriate to talk about marriage and kids on a first date, before you have gotten to know somebody or does that seem like a big needy turn-off even to someone who is marriage and family-minded?

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Default Re: LA Ink - are sweeping romantic gestures or serious future talk good for a first date?

I think you should show up smacked out, possibly drunk, with no money, like Aubry's other first date did. She complained and acted like she went home early, but somehow showed up late to work with the dark glasses and hangover on. She was clearly suffering from a late late night so it seems like it must have actually worked for the guy.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Default Re: LA Ink - are sweeping romantic gestures or serious future talk good for a first date?

Babies and marriage...On the first date? Shit...If you're trying to nab a dude, wait at least a fuckin' year into the relationship. That receptionist is doomed.

As far as making a big "first date"?...That's for the cameras...Or for somebody hard up. Either way...A relationship killer...

But, that's reality television...It's all for the cameras. Even when I hear some "bachelor" or "bachlorette" is now marrying the dude or woman that courted them and who they picked....95% chance it'll end up in divorce or they won't even make it to the alter.

It all makes for good "gossip" T.V....And it's the same reason I don't go to a strip joint OR watch reality T.V....Because it's all make believe.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I think Jack Rudy said it best when asked what advice he'd give to people who are trying to become tattoo artists: "Don't." He said a lot of other stuff, but I think I'll leave it at that.

Corey Miller is awesome and he needs to abandon that sinking ship.

Kat can get syphilis and burn in hell.

I think the sweeping rent a roller rink gesture is only good for a vacation or tour short thing. If the relationship has a set amount of time it can't be longer than it can be fun to pull out all the stops for a really passionate fling.

I saw that episode too and that girl would have had me making excuses to get the fuck out of there so fast.

Bedlamite

I think it depends what you are going for. If casual dating for fun, without wanting to know where it might go, then yeah, talking about marriage and babies can be a little inappropriate.

On the other hand, I think knowing how the other person feels about the future gives you a better idea of weather you are going to be compatible as people. If they are being honest.

+ Reply to Thread