+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fate?

SomethingSelfrighteous's Avatar Dancing Jesus Figurine

Default Fate?

Do you believe in fate? Im just asking because last night in one of my alcohol induced debates with myself i got to thinking. If fate exists, and like, i just decided to put a bullet in my head, but im not meant to die, i would be okay...right? but in hindsight id rather not test that theory out

Mother Superior

Default Re: Fate?

I agree with you. If technically it wasn't your time to die and you shot yourself in the head, you'd live. I knew a girl who tried to committ suicide over 9 times, finally on the 10th time she succeeded. People think it was just her attempting to get some sort of needed attention and that it went too far accidently. I don't know if I agree with their theory. She would do really horrific things to try to end her life and she always ended up in the hospital with major scars all over herself and feeling duped that she woke up. I personally think she was really trying to die and got her wish. I have done so many destructive things and technically I should be dead but I am here, so I think fate does play a part in people's lives. It could also be some type of bizarre intervention, where it could come from , I have no idea.

Pzychotic's Avatar Dark Entity

Not necessarily fate but a little joke the god's have given us called free will... The choice is always and undoubtedly yours as to wether you live or die in a situation as that... As for any other kind of death it would be fate, but suicide is a choice...

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

hm. kind of seems to me not to worry about when you'll die, only to realise that you WILL die, someday, tommorrow, 60 years from now.... doesn't matter. and with that thought in mind, maybe think about and worry about what you should be doing before that happens.

the thing is whether you really believe in fate or not or heaven and hell is bullshit, because you'll never know if you were right, and if you do find out, you won't be able to tell anyone else.You could test fate by sitting in a room and never doing anything, and if you ended up never doing anything you can say, see fate had no plan for me I just stay there... or maybe that was fate's plan for you, to do nothing. My point is it's much more fullfilling to just do whatever you want to do, and if it was part of a divine plan, then so be it, and if not, you still got to do what you wanted to do, and maybe that'll make you happy and not have to worry so much about what will happen in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    hm. kind of seems to me not to worry about when you'll die, only to realise that you WILL die, someday, tommorrow, 60 years from now.... doesn't matter. and with that thought in mind, maybe think about and worry about what you should be doing before that happens.
    to quote family guy, "we only die because we accept it as the end"

are you commallacalla from DT.net?

i can honestly say...no

oh. sorry. you sound like him/her and have the same avatar.

hmm...another hypnotoad enthusiast...a kindred spirit possibly...i may have to check out this website you spoke of

naw. it's not as good as this one. that's why i'm always on here and never on there anymore.

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

I dunno what to say about this thread...don't have to many drunken debates by yourself...seems maybe when yolu do you think some very od nihilistic things....have a drunken debate with friends..that way if fate is kind and yer a funny drunk you will not be the one recieving the abuse.

countessnichole's Avatar Wicca, Friend, Lover.

I believe things happen for a reason and I stopped believing in coinceidences, because far too many things happen to me as a result to another. Fate is a very strong word and I wonder what mine would be almost daily.

skully's Avatar Senior Member
    northern jersey(my dad has been a bridge and tunnel rat my whole life and i am following in his footsteps)

unless you have some sort of deal with miss cleo fate and free will are argumentivly the same thing

unless you know the final outcome then you can't change anything thus every choice you make is either free will or predetermined

if you believe in fate: you didn't decide to put a bullet in your head where THEN fate stepped in and you live. You were fated to survive a self shot bullet to the head.

if you believe in free will: you decided to put a bullet in your head and you decided to hold the gun in such a way (or flinch while pulling the trigger) that allowed the bullet to avoid anything that couldn't be fixed ...allowing you to live.

so believe whatever will get you through the day just remember since you don't know for sure it is up to you do keep trying if you hope to succeed. if you just want to leave things to the winds then chances are high that you are fated to be a failure.
    agains this hole conversation is mute if you know what your fate is supposed to be.

true... there is something about fate... but mostly you are responsible one for your fate.... you made it

GasmaskGirl's Avatar Senior Member
    Ottawa Ontario, Canada (actually born in Saskatchewan Canada)

I believe in fate to an extent. I believe that things happen for a reason. Everything (good or bad) was meant to happen to you as a learning experience so your soul can mature and grow.
    However, this doesn't give you superpowers. If you killed yourself (and killing yourself is never meant to be. nobody's destiny is to kill themselves) of course you would die. And then your soul would have to keep trying (like falling down the chute in chutes and ladders) until it's learned the lessons and experienced what it needs to experience in order to grow.
    At least that's my belief

northern jersey(my dad has been a bridge and tunnel rat my whole life and i am following in his footsteps)

Quote Originally Posted by GasmaskGirl
    I believe in fate to an extent. I believe that things happen for a reason. Everything (good or bad) was meant to happen to you as a learning experience so your soul can mature and grow.
    However, this doesn't give you superpowers. If you killed yourself (and killing yourself is never meant to be. nobody's destiny is to kill themselves) of course you would die. And then your soul would have to keep trying (like falling down the chute in chutes and ladders) until it's learned the lessons and experienced what it needs to experience in order to grow.
    At least that's my belief
    that is a very interesting belief do you mind if i ask how you came to it. i'm always interested in where people get there influences from(or lack there of)

why can't people kill themselves? that's just christian dogma. it's you fucking life, if you don't want to live it, that's your right.

the afterlife and reincarnation is just a bullshit excuse to say that this world doesn't matter, and that what happens afterwards is important. fuck that shit. what if you just have one life, and when you die your gone. finito? then what? your fucked. we all know that we have this life, whther there's more to come, so in the highly likely event that that's all there is, don't leave it up to some higher purpose to live it for you, live your own life and make it count.

I used to think, eh sure fate exists but whatever, Iwas pretty apathetic about it and focused on things that I found more interesting like science (yep, geekwad here). Then, there was the very strange way I met my lover and the years of hints and clues that led up to it. It's kind-of a long story, if you want to know PM me, I don't want to take up the entire thread!

Also, I get visions of certain places before I move there, that is how I know I am in the right place...the places I did not see before I was there turned out to be bad news. Still, I don't put much faith in fate (heh), despite these interesting things happening to me. I want to study it, but where do you begin bringing science in to study fate and metaphysics?

Quote Originally Posted by countessnichole
    I believe things happen for a reason and I stopped believing in coinceidences, because far too many things happen to me as a result to another. Fate is a very strong word and I wonder what mine would be almost daily.
    Do you have any good stories about your more-than-coincidence experiences? I'm all ears..

Morning Glory i don't know if you ate a big bowl of anger this morning because it sure as hell is showing in the posts you're making today.... but... Telling someone that their spiritual beliefs are bullshit is extremely immature. Who are you? God? I suppose you know all the answers? Nobody is telling you what to believe, so why are you telling them what to believe?
    Your notion that believing in an afterlife means that your life doesn't matter is not what anyone was trying to say. In fact it's the opposite. If there is an afterlife, then it in fact is very important what you do with your life!
    Again, these are all my beliefs, and I don't push my beliefs on anyone or get angry when someone else has different beliefs than me. I do, however, get angry when people spout gibberish and tell other people their beliefs are bullshit.

nobody knows, nobody knows, and you will never truly know until the day you die

Quote Originally Posted by skully
    that is a very interesting belief do you mind if i ask how you came to it. i'm always interested in where people get there influences from(or lack there of)
    it's just something i have come to believe over the years. i've never really had anyone tell me this, i just believe it myself.

i've been through a lot of bad experiences (hell, who hasn't?) but i've always managed to pull through. Then I came to realize that these experiences make me who I am. For example, a really bad relationship I had with an ex boyfriend (who was a totally abusive lunatic asshole) was one of the worse things in life I've had to deal with - but I wouldn't take it back in a million years. It made me the person I am today and it made me stronger, it has allowed me to recognize that sort of behaviour and avoid more potentially dangerous relationships, and it gave me the knowledge from experience to help other people who are in the same situation that I was in. Sure if it never happened to me my life would have been fine and I would have been happy. But I would also lack the wisdom gained from that bad experience.

Another situation along the same lines... I was sexually abused at a young age. I'll spare the details, but lets just say it was a very damaging experience that weighed heavily on me for a long, long time. Eventually I was able to come out of my shell about it and talk about it with people - and guess what? By my coming out and talking about it, I was able to help two other people who were abused as well. Both of them confided in me and I was able to talk with them and help them and make them feel better, and they told me they were so grateful to finally be able to talk to someone about something that hurt them so badly, and it made me feel so good to be able to help people, and make something good out of something that was so bad.

that post wasn't directed completley toward you gasmaskgirl. sorry if I sound angry, it's not my intention to sound preachy or judgemental, I am just an exuberant speaking and that's how I post. I respect your beleifs. I'm just saying that you can't bet on a perfect nirvana, so you shouldn't take for granted what you can do now, is all.

Well, morning glory, i understand. It is important to be passionate about what you believe in and you are right - nobody knows what the truth is and no one will know until they die. I was just a little put off by your hostility, that's all.

I don't beleive in fate. The way I see it, if fate existed, why be alive? You'd just be a pawn in a game you have no control over.

Quote Originally Posted by greyxideals
    I don't beleive in fate. The way I see it, if fate existed, why be alive? You'd just be a pawn in a game you have no control over.
    i agree, that is why i only believe in fate to an extent. I believe that things happen to you for a reason, but it is YOU who decides what to do, and which path to take based on how you handle the situation.

I think that there is a path set out for us, one that is determined by our own actions. if we had the ability to see what that was, well then I guess life would be a lot easiwer.

Quote Originally Posted by GasmaskGirl
    it's just something i have come to believe over the years. i've never really had anyone tell me this, i just believe it myself.

i've been through a lot of bad experiences (hell, who hasn't?) but i've always managed to pull through. Then I came to realize that these experiences make me who I am. For example, a really bad relationship I had with an ex boyfriend (who was a totally abusive lunatic asshole) was one of the worse things in life I've had to deal with - but I wouldn't take it back in a million years. It made me the person I am today and it made me stronger, it has allowed me to recognize that sort of behaviour and avoid more potentially dangerous relationships, and it gave me the knowledge from experience to help other people who are in the same situation that I was in.
    that goes back to a very big part of a persons charachter traits. what might be considered to be a negative trait comes from the same place that gives that person a very positive trait (ie: a person who is stubborn is considered negative but a person who is determined or steadfast is considered a postive trait) but thats a different post all together, one that i think i will make right now.

+ Reply to Thread