+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The new kid... (That'd be me)

Spike's Avatar Member

Default The new kid... (That'd be me)

Ok, so I'm supposed to introduce myself, right? I'm terrible at this stuff.... And Spike is a nickname, but I'm a girl, in case yer wondering.

A Virgo born in Florida in 1982, I grew up in a tiny town in Western Colorado and have been creating art for as long as I can remember. I have tried every 2-D medium I could get my hands on, but I prefer colored pencils and have recently started trying my hand at digitally coloring my inks as well. In 1992 I was diagnosed as a type 1 "brittle" diabetic, and spent a lot of time during my high school years in the hospital. So unfortunately, I didn't get to go to art college, but I've realized there's nothing a person can't teach themselves with books, practice and the desire to learn. (Amazon.com loves me.)

After high school I spent a few years in South Florida where I met the love of my life in 2002. (His girlfriend picked me up.) I've always been interested in tattooing but was never able to get an apprenticeship, so in 2005 I bought my first tattoo machine (and autoclave, and red cross contamination classes) off the internet. I had no idea what I was doing, just propped my leg up on the table and went at it. I did a half dozen tattoos on friends in my living room before quitting a government job in 2006 to start tattooing in a ghetto little shop in North Miami that didn't get much business, (and I didn't get taught jack shit either, I've figured it out on my own).

We got sick of the city life in 2007 and moved to a peaceful, woodsy house in Virginia where I started staying up late and doing a whole lot more drawing. With all the practice, my skills improved by leaps and bounds. Later that year I got a job at Ancient Art, where I worked for almost four years. I just worked my last day there today, now I'm taking a couple months "off" and draining my savings while I open my own shop closer to home. Build out on the new place started yesterday.

Random facts about me... I adore books and art, and nature, I specialize in pin ups. I like sleeping in, I don't watch tv, I'm a pervert and I like ice cream.

I still stay up late drawing, writing and listening to music. I find it's the best way to find myself and lose myself at the same time.

In case you're wondering, a "spike" is a druggie term for a needle and "jones" is an addiction. An 8th grade teacher gave me this name because there were already 3 other people in my class named "Kris" and at the time I was doing four or five insulin injections a day. Now I'm down to two, but as addicted to ink as I am, it still applies!

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Default Re: The new kid... (That'd be me)

Hello

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Welcome aboard!

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

hello

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

Hello and welcome! Where in Colorado were you living? I was born in Grand Junction and lived there, Clifton, Palisade and Denver.

Spike's Avatar Member

Synthetic Shock> Awesome! I grew up in Rifle, but lived in Boulder for almost a year toward the end. Used to go to Junction a lot. I miss the mountains... hiking, camping, snowboarding... I just took my snowboard out of the attic and took the bindings off. Gonna paint it cause I'm probably never gonna get to use it again.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

welcome.

Sup.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    I grew up in Rifle, but lived in Boulder for almost a year toward the end. Used to go to Junction a lot. I miss the mountains...
    Sounds like you Coloradans(?) name your towns like Forest and Amelia name their photoshoots. =P

Spike's Avatar Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Sup.

Sounds like you Coloradans(?) name your towns like Forest and Amelia name their photoshoots. =P
    Haha, indeed. There was a Silt and a Parachute near Rifle too.

+ Reply to Thread