+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you feel sorry for people who commit suicide?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Do you feel sorry for people who commit suicide?

Was just participating in a convo about this and was surprised and some of other people's answers. Do you feel sorry for people who commit suicide?

Default Re: Do you feel sorry for people who commit suicide?

I do... I was there once, I think everyone's been there. It just seems sad that there was nothing for them to hold on to, nothing strong enough to anchor them here. I can get why people would say no, though. Suicide is a matter of choice. Everyone has their own reasons for doing it (or not doing it).

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

it makes me sound like a dick ,but no..... hell no for 2 reasons.

1. they can't suck it up(lifes a bitch, theres always ways to adapt thats what humans do)

2. hey, they got the balls ,good for them
    well 3 things

3. darwin ,man, darwin ,mentally strong counts,too.

im sorry if that makes me soundd like a ass people but thats my experence with the people i've known who've done it. one recently (few months ago ,long fucked up story)

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

The one friend I've had that commited suicide, our group kinda figured he'd do it, it was just a matter of when. I'm sad that he's dead, but I don't feel sorry for him. People make decisions, some good, some bad, but that's what life is, a series of decisions. If you want to end your life, I'm not going to stop you, unless it's for a stupid reason like your boyfriend left you or your dog died....... I've heard of one guy that killed himself because his D+D character had died after he'd been using it for 6 years.
    I'm for euthanasia for the really sick, I'd rather die then to suffer from some of the shit that's out there. Let them find the cure for somebody else. I'm not going to live the rest of my life in agony.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

When I was younger yeah...now that I'm older I get angry at them...life is hard, you deal with it not cower out and give up.

I'm really pissed at Kurt Cobain...mainly cause he could have done so much had he stuck out his hard times. So many copy him, so many still idolize him, and yet none have equaled him since his death and sadly many have NOT learned that his actions caused more problems than anything...look at his "wife"...look at his kid...his legacy...his work...all fucked cause those he left behind turned out to be MORE fucked in the head than he was at his death and much more self destructive and irresponsible.

His former bandmates I have no ill will toward and exclude them from my above statement since in all truth the band had broken up before his death (a lil fact many forget) and they themselves knew it was Kurts "show" as it where not theirs...looking at the contracts signed at the time shows this. Kurt made nearly 75% of the cut the band god in terms of profits and what not.

Depends on the Situation, case, whatever you call that.

Each case or scenario is different.

I had planned to lurk for a bit longer, but I had to bite on this one.

Often times I do feel sorry for them. I don't feel sorry for people because they commited suicide, but because of the things that drove them to it. While I am sure there are some exceptions out there, most people do not commit suicide for no or trivial reasons. The trigger may be that your girfriend left you or that your D&D character died, but usually there is something else going on. Just because you don't understand doesn't mean they are wrong or that their problems are trivial. Kurt is a great example. Besides the drug problems, he had bowel and ucler issues as well as a lifetime of emotional issues. From every interview I heard or read, he did not want success at the level he got it and people focused on the "well he is rich and successful, he should be happy". It is hard to tell without being close to him, but did he really have a support system to fallback on? Also, pain tends to be largely about perspective. This makes it easy for people who cannot really relate to someones pain to trivialize it. Thus, it's not worth killing yourself over seems sensible to say to someone. We know Cancer hurts a lot so we can say that it could be worth death to end the pain.

Take a moment and put yourself in the shoes of a suicide. Generally speaking the body wants to live no matter what the brain says, so as your sitting thier trying to pull the trigger every cell in your body is screaming at you not to. What would bring you to that point where killing yourself is even a real possibility? What would cause you to reject every ounce of survival instinct? What could push you to believe that dead is better than not? Suicide is not a natural reaction to pain. Most of the people who say it is the easy way out have probably never tried it.

Which brings me to a question. Why is deciding to kill yourself to relieve physical pain somehow better or more noble than killing yourself to relieve emotional pain? I don't recomend either but why does physical truama warrent more sympathy than emotional?

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Cafe_Post_Mortem
    Which brings me to a question. Why is deciding to kill yourself to relieve physical pain somehow better or more noble than killing yourself to relieve emotional pain? I don't recomend either but why does physical truama warrent more sympathy than emotional?
    Because in all truth...if a person puts at least SOME effort into repairing said emotional trauma they can live a better life then they have come to know...while the same is true for physical trauma in some cases it's jsut not the case. A cousin of mine wanted to live and enjoy her life but a genetic heart and lung issue did not allow it and she passed away before she hit 20...a person suffering from depression CAN overcome it without giving into it...same with most emotional pain...psychological issues are another matter entirely but the mind can be repaired in ways the body cannot...and vice versa really. It's not so much about one gainign MORe sympathy..it's about context and what exactly the person is suffering from.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

you can't control anyone elses life, so ultimatley you either have to accept the choices that they make in life or death, or not. I feel sympathetic to thier suffering, but I don't feel sorry that they didn't stick around because that would be selfish to wish someone else be miserbale so that I could feel better, when they really just didn't want to take it anymore, and I would hope that at least they found a peace in thier actions.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

I absolutely do feel bad for them. I'm not sure if that is the same as feeling sorry, but I am sorry that they feel there are no better options left. Sometimes you just can't see the way out of the maze, but that doesn't always mean that there is no way out. However, I totally respect ones ability to make that choice for themselves. I think people should have the right, but I think that others should have some care for the folks around them and know when it looks like someone is losing hope. Sometimes I think people should be reminded that they always have the option to just change everything. If you feel it is the end, I think maybe a clean break is a good alternative option. Join the Peace Corps and build some people a new village or something. It just might give you a new perspective on your problems. If you were going to off yourself, you were dropping the obligations anyway, so just nothing is stopping you from using your abilities to help the world for a little while. Maybe your problems might sort themselves out along the way. And even if they don't, well, you may enjoy your new life anyway.

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

Of course I feel sorry for them. I have so many friends that have overdosed on drugs. That must be a kind of suicide. Or drug related deaths, killed in cars driven by people high on crack. And I have some friends that are just so way out there, I don't even know where they are or what they are doing because they are so involved in drugs. Alcohol too.

HempKnight's Avatar Large Member

Having to deal with death alot... I've lost quite a few friends and family over the years, been responsible for taking lives (justifiable homicides), watching people close to me die right in front of me... I've even been clinically dead myself a couple times, I find it hard to bring myself to make an absolute statement on just how I feel about a suicide.

I have have a good number of friends over the years who have killed themselves, some in all honesty had nothing more to live for and no amount of help or hope would have mattered. On the other hand I've watched a dear friend of mine, wither away from a brain tumor which ever attempt was made medically to resolve, even to the very end he had hope that something was going to happen to restore him. It didn't happen, he died at 42, leaving two beautiful daughters behind.

For the most part I feel more sorry for the people who are left in the wake of any kind of death, natural or otherwise, because you can feel bad, sorry or however about the person but they are still dead. It's the living ones that I feel most sorry for, especially with an unexplained death or whatever mysterious circumstances be it suicide, medical blunder or some such reason.

Being suicidal, living though an attempt or having to deal with the fact that someone has actually done it brings about a whole slew of emotions and everyone deals with the problems of life and stress differently. I don't begrudge anyone who has made the choice but find it difficult when there are many options available in this day and time. As a friend of mine would always tell people "Eat a bullet or get a shrink." I would almost have to finally agree with him at this point.

funkatron's Avatar Dead Agent

Sorry on some level, and at the same time resentful and angry.

I guess it depends on the situation. An elderly person who is in constant pain from chronic illness gets more of a pass from me than someone who still has some stuff left to live for, even if he or she can't see it.

I *do* begrudge a lot of people for offing themselves. Some will say that it's their choice, and that's true, but it's naive to think that our actions -- especially ones as drastic as this -- don't reverberate in the lives of others. We're social beings. It's our nature.

I've thought about suicide a lot. I've even come close a couple times, once just a few weeks ago. But I would be a fucking asshole to do that to my family, my friends, my coworkers, and ESPECIALLY my son. In a situation like mine -- and in many other situations I've seen where people *did* do it -- I think it's ultimately a terribly selfish thing to do.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

I feel sorry for anyone in emotional and physical pain. And yet I also think that it's your own choice how you want you life to be. I think some people's lives are so bad, and so miserable, that they would be happier dead. The same way you might be willing to kill an animal, if is was laying on the side of the road, with a shattered body, in horrible pain... If you would be willing to euthenize an animal, to ease it's suffering, or even a human, then I think there is a possibility that you could accept that someone's emotional life is also so miserable, they would be better off dead. Let's say you are mentally retarded, unable to get a job, unable to find a home, and you live on the street, and you are cold and hungry every night, and there is no way to rehabilitate yourself. You are just stuck in a shitty life, and you are miserable. No happiness, no fun, no love, etc... If you hate life, even if you are young, or old, then why stick around? My grandma is really old, and she wants to die. She does not like her life, and so I do not see why she should have to keep living. And I think the same can go for some younger people. But I think people who have the chance for a good life, and give up, are wimps. One of the best pieces of advice I ever got from someone, was the suggestion that if life makes you suicidal, then run away. Go someplace else. Start over. Try a new city, new job, new friends, or even a new country. Maybe join the army. Or the peace corps. Move to Alaska. Hop on a plane to south america, and live in the jungle. Try SOMETHING, rather than give up.

No I don;t i almost did it myslef once. And i look back on it and the reasons where rediculous. life sucks ass most the time but you haft to suck it up. after going threw that ide never think to do it again. Im sure everyone has a low time in there life where they contenplate it. And when they look back on it they say wtf was i thinking. Even if i was homeless and living on the streets with the crackheads going threw that gave me a stong will to live. Those that actually go threw with it needed halp and the cruel world said fuck you.

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

I feel sorry for the fact the couldn't find a way out and angry at the fact they let it control them so severeley there is so much to it and so complex, we can never know what another person is thinking we may in a rare insatnce share a similar situation or experience, but never the same reaction or idea or dealing mechanism with it. I think over all sorry that they didn't have somone who could shine a little light on their dark world and show them some positive ways out. Being lonely and having no physical contact with people and dealing with life can get to people and there are numerous other reasons, guilt shame, anger, confusion, fear..wahtever the case they need to realize that they as a single individual have gifts and skills and traights that should be shared with others and nurtered...and realize that theya s a person rawk, so what if others wanna pick on you or life gest tough...you make your own life no on else

Huntsab's Avatar Junior Member

I don't feel sorry for them.
    I feel sad for them that they feel this emotional rollercoaster.

My Girlfriend of 5 years is a cronic depressive and trying to tell her I love her is very difficult. She has low self esteem anmd will not accept compliments. Infact she chooses only to recognise the negative things I might say. Even when not directed at her. Sometimes I want to just scream at her and tell her to pull herself together (which stupidly I do sometimes when she gets really drunk and starts saying she wants to die and be with her mother.)

I find that having a good smoke of weed in the evenings helps her manage to cope. Although I have read evidence to the contary!

Macabre_Dreams's Avatar Morbid Freak

I don't feel sorry for them. We go our whole lives with people telling us to make our own decisions and to suck it up, and when they let it build inside them, they see things as irrational as possible without realizing it.

I feel sorry for the people they left. Some will wonder forever if they could've prevented it, if it was their fault.

poison's Avatar Senior Member

I feel sorry for the people they left. Some will wonder forever if they could've prevented it, if it was their fault.[/QUOTE]

i agree that the people left behind must be made miserable by the constant unanswerable questions they must face: whether or not they played a part, what they could have done differently...those questions could push them closer to the same fate.

i myself have contemplated suicide before but when i get to the point of going through with it i think how selfish i am, how if i can't put up with overriding emotions then why do i want others to suffer as i do...

so, i feel sorry for those who commit suicide because they must have had terrible problems but mostly my sympathy is directed to their friends and family who are forced to live their lives in emotional turmoil by one who couldn't cope with their own...

GasmaskGirl's Avatar Senior Member
    Ottawa Ontario, Canada (actually born in Saskatchewan Canada)

depends on the situation.

i had a close friend hang herself when we were 16. I felt so bad about what she went through (her uncle was doing things to her - something we found out about after she killed herself) and I was sorry for that. I wish she could have found a better way to deal with it. She had us all, she could have talked to us.

Pzychotic's Avatar Dark Entity

No

Ouroboros's Avatar Senior Member

My first reaction to hearing someone's commited suicide is, "Chicken shit".
    Life can be a bitch at times, but hey, you suck it up and move on. True, there are levels of pain, some of which I myself have not endured, but if I've been able to take what I've been dealt, anyone should be able to. Unless the world is ready to accept me as the most emocionally stable or strong person in existance.

... and that would be fucking scary.

Ouroboros's Avatar Senior Member

And yeah, my second reaction tends to wander towards, "Selfish ass".

... or something like that.

Caligula's Avatar Senior Member

Depends. Depends on why and how they do it. Some idiot jumped under a train last week, as a consequence I was three hours late and missed two important meetings. Arsehole. Sounds cold? Not as cold as someone who decides to put their friends and relatives through some truly dark shit. Even if they have no friends and relatives, there are more considerate ways of removing yourself from the gene pool. I don't suppose emergency workers like mopping up corpses any more than most folk.

Sometimes you've got to just grit your teeth and deal. As I've got older I've become less and less tolerant of our society of complainers and crybabies. It's no tougher today than it was in the past, it's just become fashionable to do without a spine. Everybody's a fucking case these days...

purplepixie's Avatar Senior Member

It really depends on why I suppose, one of my friends is suicidal or at least pretends to be and I dont feel sorry for her at all there is nothing wrong with her life its alot better than mine, besides which i'm convinced she only does it for attention anyway

Jasperino's Avatar Senior Member

[QUOTE=Tequila Zaire]
    I'm really pissed at Kurt Cobain...

Too bad it wasn't suicide.

And as far as people who do it, I feel more sorry for the people they leave behind to deal with it...

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

going of topic to mention kurt cobain if you reas the police reports or testimony by people that saw his body on the scene its apparent that he commited suicide whats interesting though is that it is suspected that he had been planning his suicide ever since he was a teenager just like he planned the rest of his carreer the same way so it is believed that cobains suicide may have been a way to insure that he would be immortalized instead of becoming a faded pop star

Caligula's Avatar Senior Member

I think he did it just to make it funnier when he sings about not having a gun.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

that may very well be true

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

interesting question I suppose I'll take time to think about how I really feel about them killing themselves when I see for myself where they ended up

and your little dog too

yes but I still hate their self-indulgance

No.

I've been through a lot of emotional pain my life but I never thought of killing myself I ain't a coward.

I take the expirience which made me feel horrible and I use to get stronger and not let things bother me.

skully's Avatar Senior Member
    northern jersey(my dad has been a bridge and tunnel rat my whole life and i am following in his footsteps)

on one hand i feel sorry for them that they couldn't "see the way out of the maze" as forest put it there have been plenty of people who packed a backpack and just picked up and left for somewhere and went on to have a great life. sometimes that sink or swim mentalitiy is what is needed. and i like forest's idea to join the peace corps... if your life is that bad that you want to kill yourself then what is stopping you from just leaving it behind its a big big world move somewhere else move to the other side of the states hell go to another country find another way of life.

on the other hand darwin and overpopulation... hey if you can't survive this world in whatever way it is then is it really such a bad thing... i mean people have been throwing nature's natural course of action WAY out of balance... and since the closest thing humans have to a natural predator is disease... is it such a bad thing to have another means of population control.

purplepixie's Avatar Senior Member

k new view from me there are two people who have commited suicide in the past two week in my area heres
    my convo from msn Nothing will benifit the human health and increase chances for suvival on earth as much as the evalution to a vegatarian diet says:
    RIP, Angel, I miss you more each day;
    And though you're not here now, your memory will never fade away.
    I'll never ever forget your smile, your laugh, the amount of bobbles in your hair (!) It'll take some time to realise that they're no longer there.
    My sweet friend, your wise words never faultered and always saw me through, Because I would not be who I am today
    purplepixie says:
    wat?
    purplepixie says:

Nothing will benifit the human health and increase chances for suvival on earth as much as the evalution to a vegatarian diet says:
    if I hadn't learnt from you.
    Angel, I know the world sometimes made you feel that you were wrong, A sweet smiling face hid that you grew tired of being strong. But no matter what is said and done, I'll be here waiting, always, Hoping, praying that one day, I will hear you laugh and see
    Nothing will benifit the human health and increase chances for suvival on earth as much as the evalution to a vegatarian diet says:
    thers more
    purplepixie says:
    again i say wat?
    see you smile again.

Always.

Sophie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

PLEASE PASS ON AND NEVER FORGET HER(poem for amy)

purplepixie says:
    who?
    purplepixie says:

purplepixie says:

amy a girl in yr ten in kingy
    purplepixie says:
    the one that put a bullet in her brain?
    i dunno how she killed herself
    purplepixie says:
    hhmmmm
    purplepixie says:
    theer seems to be alot of that recently
    purplepixie says:
    i went in to the pub the other day and they were like so and so shot himself
    purplepixie says:
    I have no sympathy for those who choose to kill themselves esp when there in high school, in high school most ppl are depressed most people get over it
    i have sympaphy
    purplepixie says:
    well i do not think about how many people that they will fuck up in doing it, suicide is selfish i was depressed i didnt kill myself
    wel dun
    its pased ur bed time yug lady
    purplepixie says:
    i know
    purplepixie says:
    yawn
    u shud be tuked in bed now
    purplepixie says:
    besides why are people pretending to like her now they didnt like her when she was alive but as soon as shes dead it all like i knew her i was her bestfriend bla bla bla lots of happy memories bla bla bla lets write a poem and pretend like we cared
    purplepixie says:
    its the same with that guy in worcester last week
    soph was her best frend
    purplepixie says:
    i mean if they did care she wouldnt feel like she had to kill herself in the firest place
    purplepixie says:
    sophie is probably lieing
    purplepixie says:
    pretty stupid she only had one more year to stick it out then she would have been happier
    spose
    purplepixie says:
    rant over

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    Was just participating in a convo about this and was surprised and some of other people's answers. Do you feel sorry for people who commit suicide?
    I've seen a lot of death in my time (no pun intended). The most tragic was the molestation and murder of a friend's family member when she was just 12. 2 of my friends died in their 20s of "natural causes" and several have committed suicide. It took me years just to get past the anger phase. My inability to deal with death, frankly, is a major impetus for my beginning to write again and even taking in opinions on sites like blue blood.

I wish I could say I felt sorry for them, but I do not. I have finally been able to feel grief and bad for the circumstances under which they departed. Like Forrest said, there is always a way out of a situation without killing yourself. Nothing in life is so horrific that one need make such a permanent choice.

OEC

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Ive been suicidal MANY times, and have flatlined twice. I cant say it was better or worse that I lived, but I absolutely feel bad and feel sympathy for people who resort to doing it.

Just a few months ago I attempted it, for the simple fact that I cant go to LA without my life being on the line from an ex who has stated he will kill me. Dont you think Id love to go back and see my friends, and live there like I want to? I felt I would be better off not alive, since I wouldnt be able to see people I care about and do as I choose. Im happy that Im not dead, as I now have a wonderful fiance and alot going for my life, but at the same time, I fear for my life and thats no way to live.

SO I can see how a very miute thing can set someone off, and I do feel bad for them. Its like an emotional prison.

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

why not report him to the police? yes I know the man in blue yadda yadda but babe....no one and no man has a right to make aperson live in fear. the is no cloud that can stop the sun from shinnin' take that fucker outta the pic.

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Quote Originally Posted by CPRB
    why not report him to the police? yes I know the man in blue yadda yadda but babe....no one and no man has a right to make aperson live in fear. the is no cloud that can stop the sun from shinnin' take that fucker outta the pic.
    They wouldnt do anything since Im in AZ and hes in Los Angeles. Id have to live there to file anything is what they told me. But I travel there alot for business, so Im stuck;[

Id like to take him outta the pic, and it wouldnt be with the help of the man in blue either;p

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

yeah, sadly, unless you're the president, the cops don't take threats seriously. if they happen to come upon you being murdered then they'll take it seriosuly... pretty much until that happens, they don't bother doing anything about it.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Jax
    Just a few months ago I attempted it, for the simple fact that I cant go to LA without my life being on the line from an ex who has stated he will kill me. Dont you think Id love to go back and see my friends, and live there like I want to? I felt I would be better off not alive, since I wouldnt be able to see people I care about and do as I choose. Im happy that Im not dead, as I now have a wonderful fiance and alot going for my life, but at the same time, I fear for my life and thats no way to live.
    Spend some time with a lawyer and see what your options are cause threatening to kill a person does not have a limitation due to geographical reason...if anything threats that go across state lines are quite serious. With the right set up you can make this fella's like nice lil slice of hell...provided you want to take the initiative...can't stay a vicitm.

If you want to live in L.A. then you should...can't let fear or lack of a police style bodyguard stop you...go on the offensive.

+ Reply to Thread