+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Guitar Industrial and Heavy Metal

Default Guitar Industrial and Heavy Metal

I think there is no difference between guitar industrial and heavy fucking metal. It is all marketing by stupid record labels who drive sales with music fashion.

Huntsab's Avatar Junior Member

Default Re: Guitar Industrial and Heavy Metal

Its that distorted thrash sound. Very popular

I think Black Metal is making new ground nowadays. Adding synthersisers with grindcore riffs.

Thurbane316's Avatar Throbbing Member

Personally, I don't like pigeon holes for music. I mean, I like metal, goth, punk, insustrial, experimental, indie rock, classical and some techno and hiphop; who care's if it overlaps a little? So long as it's got a good beat, and you can dig it.

The only stuff that is truly awful is soulless pop music, manufactured by fat, greedy producers and not written by the artists themselves.

My 2 cents...

- Thurbane

what? industrial and heavy metal is VERY different... industrial uses much more distortion and less chorus, the solos are much shorter and less artful, guitars are tuned way down, it's more brutal-sounding...

now if you said death metal, the difference would be less pronounced, but industrial and heavy metal don't have very much in common except for the fact that both styles primarily use power chords...

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

It's pretty obvious that a lot of newer metal bands are influenced by older industrial bands like Ministry. But there are some differences in industrial music as well, not every band uses guitars, like Front 242, Das Ich or Nitzer Ebb. But then you have others that are very guitar heavy like Die Krupps or Ministry.
    I think now the differences between metal and industrial is more in the vocal styles and the rythm involved, where it sounds more like a machine than music.

Quote Originally Posted by incog
    I think there is no difference between guitar industrial and heavy fucking metal. It is all marketing by stupid record labels who drive sales with music fashion.
    when you say guitar industrial I see Fear Factory, and when you say heavy fucking metal I see Iron Maiden.... so.... there is "nooooo" diference, definitely not =)

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

yeah, exactly.. when i think of industrial I think of bands like front 242 and wumspcut. so ugh metal.. what? I don't think so. I guess this new guitar industrial you speak of would be a combination of the two...
    Ok. let me put it this way, if it's made on a computer and uses a drum machine and mixers, it's not heavy metal. If it uses drums, guitars and bass, it's not industrial. Otherwise it's kind of a grey area I guess.

The thing that confuses me the most is "grindcore riffs"... by 'riffs' do you mean 'one chord' ?

Thurbane316's Avatar Throbbing Member

Part of the problem is "pigeon holes" for music (like I said above) - what one person calls industrial, another may call thrash, techno, electronica, experimental noise, EBM or a million other things. Also, genres change over time. I've yet to find a definitive definition of "industrial" that doesn't overlap with something else. And different labels developed different sounds - two of the earliest "industrial" labels, Wax Trax and Zoth Ommog, fielded two different flavours of bands.

Skinny Puppy, Front 242, Front Line Assembly, Leather Strip, Mentallo and the Fixer, X Marks the Pedwalk, Nitzer Ebb, Ministry, Skrew, Revco, Lead Into Gold etc. all fall under the umbrella of industrial, but all have distinctive sounds. I've even heard true ancients like Kraftwerk and Gary Numan described as "industrial"...

+ Reply to Thread