+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Billy Corgan Speaks Out on Alex Jones Infowars

Default Billy Corgan Speaks Out on Alex Jones Infowars

Billy Corgan just gave a really interesting interview on Alex Jones' Infowars show where he talked about the difficulty people are having maintaining the societal illusion being propagated by current Government entities and mainstream media. His new album is titled
    Read the full article

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Billy Corgan Speaks Out on Alex Jones Infowars

The GMO issue he brings up was an interesting one. We have a GMO labeling initiative on the November ballot. I have some trepidation that a State body would be able to apply it uniformly. Should it be a matter of law? Remain with Organic Consumer Groups? He brings up a lot of good stuff though. I just don't what the best way to handle that concern would be.

OEC

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

It sure is really hard to avoid the poisons these days.

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack View Post
    It sure is really hard to avoid the poisons these days.
    No question there. I am just still undecided on whether we can use private means to inform consumers or if a state initiative would be to the peoples' benefit. I think we do have the resources to at least aid in these decisions, but we have a ways to go (understatement)

Anyways, here is what will appear on the ballot:

http://carighttoknow.org/

I'm still undecided as to whether it would work in practice. I'd love to just vote for it and have everything work out. There is no question GMOs are a serious problem.

OEC

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

I am generally for unburdening the State of it's oversight responsibilities, but I feel like it's letting the elephant guard the peanuts in this case. GMO, like corn in particular, are so heavily subsidized by the State and are so heavily represented by lobbyists and such, that I feel like the chances of a reasonable policy being put into place are essentially zero.

I am generally for unburdening the State of it's oversight responsibilities, but I feel like it's letting the elephant guard the peanuts in this case. GMO, like corn in particular, are so heavily subsidized by the State and are so heavily represented by lobbyists and such, that I feel like the chances of a reasonable policy being put into place are essentially zero.
    Yeah, I have same problem with state oversight. The farm subsidies alone are just insidious. Even going beyond GMO, they favor big agribusiness over the family farmer (I believe 80-90% goes to them?) I belong to a Co-op here, but like you said, do we really know? He raises one hell of a question. I don't know an answer beyond the Organic Consumer groups. Even there, something may slip in despite the good intent of the group overall.

OEC

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

It's why I bought some acreage and am growing heritage food for myself.

. GMO, like corn in particular, are so heavily subsidized by the State and are so heavily represented by lobbyists and such, that I feel like the chances of a reasonable policy being put into place are essentially zero.
    True story- A friend posted something critical of High Fructose Corn Syrup on his modestly followed futurism blog. Not long afterwards a poster showed up in the comments section arguing that HFCS had gotten a bad rap, and began posting links to industry websites that tried to portray HFCS as a health food.

What this poor PR flack couldn't know was that another poster/friend on the site had been spending his time perfecting his SEO kung fu skills and this friend proceeded to track down the PR firm, employee info and personal info of the pro-HFCS poster and published them on the blog. "This is who you are. This is what you do for a living. These are the people who hired you." (This guy likes to hunt spammers for fun.)

Oops.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly View Post
    True story- A friend posted something critical of High Fructose Corn Syrup on his modestly followed futurism blog. Not long afterwards a poster showed up in the comments section arguing that HFCS had gotten a bad rap, and began posting links to industry websites that tried to portray HFCS as a health food.

What this poor PR flack couldn't know was that another poster/friend on the site had been spending his time perfecting his SEO kung fu skills and this friend proceeded to track down the PR firm, employee info and personal info of the pro-HFCS poster and published them on the blog. "This is who you are. This is what you do for a living. These are the people who hired you." (This guy likes to hunt spammers for fun.)

Oops.
    Haha damn. Exposed the astroturf. This is such a frustrating issue. Our food supply is being compromised. I'm mostly going the co-op route, but nothing is certain. I can't realistically grow all my own food at present.

OEC

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

It's why I moved to the country. I'm too old for bars, clubs, fetish gear and all that palaver anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerpunk View Post
    It's why I moved to the country. I'm too old for bars, clubs, fetish gear and all that palaver anyway.
    That's awesome. Right now, it is more family and other commitments that keep me here. May change over the next year. I don't really make it past the local pub (save the occasional live band) these days.

OEC

+ Reply to Thread