+ Reply to Thread

Thread: obscure phobias

poison's Avatar Senior Member

Default obscure phobias

was reading the quiet places's thread on hating flies and it got me thinking bout my obscure phobias...
    my first phobia is spiders and daddy-long-legs....i hate spiders because of the way they scuttle and the fact they can have big fat furry legs, daddy-long-legs are horrible..especially when you can hear them hitting against something like a window but you can't pinpoint them..does nothing for my paranoia!

my second phobia is mimes and clowns..i can't explain this one but there's just something eerie about them...*shudders*

my third phobia is ham. i find that i can't touch it (not even if its in a plastic packet in a supermarket), i CERTAINLY can't eat it, i can't even smell it...my sister sometimes chases me with ham but i sometimes have panic attack..i'm THAT afraid it'll touch my skin, but again i can't explain this phobia!

so..tell me of your weird phobias, help me feel less strange!

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

Default Re: obscure phobias

i have a fear of heights but only if im on a man made structure so thats kinda weird and people used to make fun of me

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

Ham!!! That is so funny!! Oh everybody hates clowns, clowns are creepy!!! But I do like spiders....

My phobias I guess are pretty normal. Lately I think my main phobia is not wanting to be with some horrible old millionaire.. Trying to talk myself out of dating broke beautiful boys who live off women... Is that a phobia? That's a bad habit.

skully's Avatar Senior Member
    northern jersey(my dad has been a bridge and tunnel rat my whole life and i am following in his footsteps)

i have a fear of loosing control. aka incredible hulk syndrome which is probably why i have the patience of a saint.

corachaos's Avatar Dorky Girl

Mine is pretty normal too. I am afraid of needles. NOt just a little affraid, like full on black out panic scared. I have nightmares, panic episodes, and insomnia before so much as a blood draw. I literally feel like I am going to die if I have to get a shot. When I was 6 months old a doctor lodged a needle in my thigh bone. Then broke it off. I still have the scar.

Second up is roaches. When I was 13 we lived in Houston for a year. They fumigated the apartment downstairs from us. The roaches swarned, throught the walls to where? My bed, of course, where I was sleeping. I was screaming my head off. My dad had to carry me to the shower to get them all off of me. *shudder* Roaches are evil.

Quote Originally Posted by KilLAtomiK
    i have a fear of heights but only if im on a man made structure so thats kinda weird and people used to make fun of me
    Dude, I'm just like you. I can't stand rollercoasters, or the CN tower. I can't look out of really high windows, either. But for some reason I'm fine in airplanes. It's really weird.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

im really afraid of being with large groups of people i have no idea why but i can get panic attacks at paries because of this unless I smoke a lot of dope or get drunk before going out

Trotter's Avatar Senior Member

I'm afraid of reverse vampires, they're hard to spot.

Morgue1313's Avatar Senior Member

Im afraid of fish. I run around screaming at the sight of a fish, or a picture or statue. I get panic attacks and I scream and cry. It relates back to a tramatizing time with my"spermdonor" aka father.

Large groups are a given, but Ive really over come a lot of my social phobia over the past 3 years.

I have a phobia of roaches(blah), clowns(eeek), and heights...ehehehehe....

Quote Originally Posted by franziska
    Dude, I'm just like you. I can't stand rollercoasters, or the CN tower. I can't look out of really high windows, either. But for some reason I'm fine in airplanes. It's really weird.
    damn at least im not the only one, i remember when i was youn i was horrified of being on the upper floor of a large building yet when i visited the grand canyon i was able to stand at the edge and not be scared at all

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

Well...
    As a child, (this is more of a paranoia/child fear) I was scared there was ALWAYS a man with a BOMB out side of my window on the roof. I dont really know why i had that fear though. Also, I am afraid of the ocean, in the middle of no where, with 5000 feet of water beneath you. When I was small, I was in a little pool, and I was in one of those floaty thingies... and BAM! It flipped over... I was under for a few seconds, before my mom realised that I had flipped over O.O So yeah... Deep water scares me...

bre.star's Avatar Senior Member

i have a gum phobia. i cannot chew gum, look at chewed gum, or even smell gum without getting really disgusted. it used to be so bad that i would vomit, but ive learned to control my gag reflex when i see gum... yuck and i especially HATE HATE HATE when people play with their gum...omg i want to puke. uggg and the lime-green gum. ahhhh.
    i also don't like weird looking ugly bugs, they scare the hell out of me.

Forestghost's Avatar Knowlege is power!

As I mentioned in the "hating flies" thread, I believe I have a leech phobia. I can't stand them. When I am near a lake or stream I need someone to reassure me for like 20 minutes that there are no leeches or that NO they cannot jump out of the water and get me. I'll never put my foot in the water if there are any reeds or underwater plants nearby (a favorite hiding place for the slimey little fuckers)

Oh, and jellyfish get my heart pounding too...I can look at them in a tank at the Aquarium....but If I see one when I am swimming in the Ocean, I basically run on top of the water to get out!!!

I'm afraid of the dark, I sleep with a sign that practically lights up the entire room and I always have a flashlight next to me.

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

Heights, but I love parachuting.

purplepixie's Avatar Senior Member

Heights thats normal I know infact I think everyone is afraid of heights to a certain degree but me to a far extreme of getting to the top of a mountain and having a panic attack then breaking down in tears

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

im not afraid of height at all maybe i would freakout if i was walking a tightrope or something (ive actually considered trying that) but i actually like heights quite a bit being up high makes me feel safe thats why i sleep in a hammock most of the time

URGHHHH... I can't come up with any phobia that I could have
    Am I normal?

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

When I had braces, I was ALWAYS paranoid that one of the brackets/hook thingies would penetrate my lip. About 3 weeks before I got them off, that happened.

In the right corner of my lip, a hook pointing up, and a hook pointing down. So my lip was screwed. I had JUST been punched, and knocked out before I realised this... so I was a little dazed and confused... so i tried opening my mouth to get it off... but that didn't work (obviously). So then some sense came into my mind. I closed my mouth, and pulled up and the hook pointing up was out. Then I pulled down on the hook pointing down. and the hook was out. I had a concussion for like 1-2 weeks. I also had to go to the E.R. for stitches.

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

a fear of alack of control of my fear. fear is good if intellectually assualted andremidied it cna strengthen who you are. fear also gives you bouderies whihc can be good. I have aphobia of people using certain words to impress people...I have my BS sesnor on extra sensitive.

Ouroboros's Avatar Senior Member

I can think of nothing that I fear, other than a loss of control or reason. The closest that comes to my mind is my disgust for pigeons or insects, but I'd sooner stomp on/kick such annoyances than run cowering from them.

... I'm afraid of change.

i really don't understand how people can be afraid of clowns.it saddens me with laughter.
    anyhow,i saw an episode of maury povich once where a girl was afraid of CHALK!!! it turns out that her grandpa told her (when she was little) that it was made from dead people's skin!!!

oh god i cannot hold in the laughter anymore

Morgue1313's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by satanika
    i really don't understand how people can be afraid of clowns.it saddens me with laughter.
    anyhow,i saw an episode of maury povich once where a girl was afraid of CHALK!!! it turns out that her grandpa told her (when she was little) that it was made from dead people's skin!!!

oh god i cannot hold in the laughter anymore

On another Maury there was a woman afraid of tin foil, and one of cotton balls. The cotton ball one made sense, since the lady as a toddler fell and had to be in a full body cast and those things are lined in cotton. So her earliest memories are of being immobilized and covered in cotton.

Eternal throes's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by franziska
    amusment park rides that spin fast at high altittudes or anything of that nature completly freak me out I just hate the feeling mostly because its slightly more intense version of the way I normaly feel.
    Airplanes don't scare me I just get head aches.

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Roaches and germs!

Poisondove's Avatar Member

earwigs *in a little voice*

Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    URGHHHH... I can't come up with any phobia that I could have
    Am I normal?
    if your not afraid of anything you might be crazy because fear is what keeps you alive so long as you dont panic. your fear tells you what is safe and what isint like standing to close to the edge of a tall building, being near a dangerous animal like a spider or a nake, or being within a ten foot radius of a clown aka "the clown death zone"

Goat on Fire's Avatar Senior Member
    Beograd, Srbija (the way its originally spelled)

I have a phobia of insects... most of them. Dogs scare the hell out of me too. There's a few more, but I don't feel like... discomforting myself, by thinking of them right now.

My probalby worst phobia of all of them is beeing burried alive, for no particular reason at all (based on no trauma)...

Goat on Fire's Avatar Senior Member
    Beograd, Srbija (the way its originally spelled)

Oh, and although I'm straight, I have a disguist towards/phobia of homophobes.

feet, dammit;

and no more lamisil commercials while i'm watching TV and eating at the same time

+ Reply to Thread