+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Weird on Film

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default Weird on Film

Over the years strange, eccentric, odd, and down right strange characters have populated films for good or ill. Some are genuinely interesting and others seem like blatent pandering. For every Edward Scissorhands their are dozens of "Goth Kid #6".

While all that is acceptable and fun...it seems only on film does such odd behaviour and characters tolorated. In day to day life we all know that the farther you are from the mainstream the more difficult the life. Unless you are an actor of course then you can act as odd as you want and earn profit and praise...look at the numerous actors awarded praise for playing drunks and drug addicts...

When was the last time Crack Head Bob from down the block praised for his "stark reality".

Films like Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind or a series like Twin Peaks kind of make one wonder why on film people like that are entertianing yet in real life people like that are viciously torn down?

It's really kind of sad that film has become more diverse and acceptingof eccentricities than real life...rather angering too since most of the actors who portray such actors are pretty damned dull off screen...or weird in a bad way like Gwyneth Paltrow and her lil Apple named kid...I can already see that kid saying "The hell were you thinking mom? Naming me after a food group is not original and cool...Sour Apple maybe...but APPLE?!"...then some sort of Lizzie Borden event occurs where we all rejoice as no more Coldplay albums and Paltrow movies are ever made again...

OK that last part was a bit wandering fantasy...

Default Re: Weird on Film

that's deep man

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

And what do you imagine Moon Unit Zappa would say, assuming she could reach her father through a Medium?

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Nightingale
    And what do you imagine Moon Unit Zappa would say, assuming she could reach her father through a Medium?
    Having meet a few of the Zappa kids through the years...they are the real deal in terms of eccentrics.

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Having meet a few of the Zappa kids through the years...they are the real deal in terms of eccentrics.
    It's a fortunate child who can live up to the name their parents gave them.

Macabre_Dreams's Avatar Morbid Freak

People like to stereotype goths ... and usually it isn't good. Edward Scissorhands, I think, was a mixture -- a balance. Even though he killed the jock, it wasn't really his fault, and everyone around started to get weary of him ... Kinda feels like life.

-MD

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

I think becasue movie is fantasy and not reality so it's awww cute it last for 2 hours and I can go home. often those outside the box often seem to flow and are unrestricted in movement and those inside the box realize some of the beauty in the obtuse pattern of an eccentric persons life and feels a threatened jealousy foe thier percieved self restrictions...aslo the fact that eccentrics sometimes and often don't give a damn about what others think...

+ Reply to Thread