+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Attack of the Blogs!

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default Attack of the Blogs!

Reading through this recent wired article got me thinking about how easy it would be abuse such a quick and simple form of mass communication.

Anyone taking a lil tour down livejournal way would notice that people with friends list the size of small townships could easily be picked to spread whatever story they could be manipulated into buying as truth. It's happens all the time with simple gossip...and could happen more so with important issues. Once you get a mob of blogging mouthpeices together you could essnetially spread anything as fact be it through simple anger or long winded "facts"...the kind you see scewed by assorted political parties.

While that may be rather obvious it can also be used to bully and intimidate given the oh so loving nature of the internet. More and more the big brother worries of an all seeing all critical and controling government is coming to pass through the public themselves who take it as their own duty to "correct" the mistakes, behaviour, and general personality of a person who is at odds with them.

the mentality of "I don't like what you said...so I'm gonna get all my friends list to harass and badmouth you!" is not all that uncommon. Take it up a few levels and you have a genuine cause for worry. Age old tactics being used in a bright new way...scary to say the least given how many people look to assorted blogs for "truthful" news. Understandable given the nature of mainstream news but not exactly any better...but this is the day and age where political entertainment shows like The Daily Show rank as credible new sources for some people....that's really no better than entertainment tonight or going back a bit the tabloid news shows like A Current Affair.

Is mass media doomed or is it finally too bloated and corrupt for its own good?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Re: Attack of the Blogs!

I think the increasingly obvious corruption of traditional mass media coupled with the creepiness of phony blog promo makes for a larger cultural sense of loss of faith, an inability to truly believe anything.

I have it on very reliable authority that our only real competitor does a lot of fake blog stuff to promote their interests, so I never know when a stranger puts a discouraging comment in my journal (or even on this boards, remember that pedar guy) if I should discuss an issue with them because I could change a real person's mind or if they are just being paid to distract me.

To my way of thinking, that is an almost unbearable level of lack of trust to take into daily life. For future generations, I think it will be a simple norm. Either that or we will end up with a police state because people won't be able to stand the constant uncertainty.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    I think the increasingly obvious corruption of traditional mass media coupled with the creepiness of phony blog promo makes for a larger cultural sense of loss of faith, an inability to truly believe anything.

OEC If anyone takes blogs that seriously, they have problems. I've just started blogging for fun. I suppose I may not be taking it seriously enough, but I doubt many people would rely on them for accurate information.

I have it on very reliable authority that our only real competitor does a lot of fake blog stuff to promote their interests, so I never know when a stranger puts a discouraging comment in my journal (or even on this boards, remember that pedar guy) if I should discuss an issue with them because I could change a real person's mind or if they are just being paid to distract me.

OEC Don't discuss it with them. I hate to be so cynical, but I seriously doubt such people are offering constructive criticism 99 out of 100 times.

To my way of thinking, that is an almost unbearable level of lack of trust to take into daily life. For future generations, I think it will be a simple norm. Either that or we will end up with a police state because people won't be able to stand the constant uncertainty.
    OEC - Perhaps. I hope people just take that *!@# with a grain of salt. You may be right, tho. Admittedly, I have the advantage of having no ambition of making money with my online endeavors at this time. It's just a hobby for me.

OEC

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

I think the popularization of the blogger media form for the most part acts as a gossip amplifier. Many people have not developed the mental filters required to weed out seemingly popular yet unsubstantiated information which they find themselves surrounded by. Not just yet anyway. I'm not sure I will like the world better when they do develop a strong sense of disbelief in everything around them either.

+ Reply to Thread