+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Merit vs. Personality

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Merit vs. Personality

Do you think someone should get a job because they work hard and have talent and skills or because they are personable and fun and easy to get along with?

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default Re: Merit vs. Personality

Personable and fun can sure make work go a lot smotther...but the talent and skill are what lead to growth, better product, and evolution. A healthy mix is needed in any business...I always figured about a 1/4th should have the personable and fun skills while the rest are more skill oriented...

But it sure does seem those who can talk, walk, and BS the best get the promotions.

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

I agree with tequila, actually when i do work I work hard and try to stay pearsonable for one reason..to many fucking nervous tightwads, bactstabbers and office whores(male and female) I like people to work hard but enjoy thier time and learn. A positive attitude and strong work ethic are very rare these days and I am proud to say I have both. It makes me mad when idiots get promos or other things. One thing I can tolerate is wehn family hires family or friends..it alwasy leads to trouble...also work is work I never make friends at work, leads to way to many problems. now when it comes to my buisness and work it's just me but the people I am involved with i see in everday life soo I do havea few aqauinatances.

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

I work alone, so the personability aspect has little meaning. However, other people need to be able to do the job professionally so that I don't get called upon to do it for them, or to jump into their place when they think up an excuse not to work.

Depends on the Job.

i think a person should get a job cuz of their talent and skills.
    just cuz you are fun and personable doesn't mean you can get the job done.
    i know one good example of that.this girl i know is a radio dj.she is the typical "nice" girl,fun,personable - but she has no skill in the music!!!
    there are plenty of jobs that i was turned down from cuz i wasn't your typical bubbly,talkative character.
    (fuck them)

purplepixie's Avatar Senior Member

both equally employers want people that have the skills and be able to work as a team...............then again that depends upon the job

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

I think it depends on the job. If it's someone who only works by themself. Merit all the way. But if they have to work with even a few people or talk on the phone I'd hope for a good mix of the two. I'd lean more towards personable against merit if I had to work with the person. If they can be trained that can be easier to deal with than someone who is a complete bastard.

Where I work we had that kind of situation. I had to work with a guy who was amazingly qualified knew his shit backwards. But he was such an absolute dick. He had zero people skills. We have to talk on the phone and be polite to coworkers. He couldn't even manage semi-polite. He hung up on people, told people what he would and wouldn't do (not good in my position) and it only took about a month and a half before he got laid off.

That taught me that skills don't always mean you can do the job effectively.

HempKnight's Avatar Large Member

As an employer, I had always tried to hire the person best suited for the job... which usually meant I would take someone who would be able to be personable more over qualifications... for the simple fact I'd rather have someone I could train to do the job without them having any previous ideas about how they could do it better to start with. I'd rather have a blank slate to work with having them start just as everyone else had and learn as they went from myself and the other employees who were at the very same point at one time.

Granted some positions had to go to qualified individuals, you can't just hire a tech or engineer because they are friendly or have a nice smile, but it does make the work day go by better if you have people around that you can actually stand and can get along with instead of wanting to stab out their fucking eyes with a fork.

+ Reply to Thread