+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reasons for losing a job...

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

Default Reasons for losing a job...

Man Fired For Using Computer To Search For Aliens

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Word to the wise, be careful for what you seach for. The search for extraterrestrial life has ended at the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services.

The department recently fired a computer programmer who admitted to using a state-owned computer server to process data for the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence project. Charles E. Smith told administrators he didn't think loading the SETI software on the server was much of a problem cause he wasn't using it during work hours. Department director Hayes disagreed. "I understand his desire to search for intelligent life in outer space, because obviously he doesn't find it in the mirror in the morning," Hayes said. "I think that people can be comfortable that security has beamed this man out of our building." Smith, who earned $60,000 a year, didn't return a phone call for comment.

Default Re: Reasons for losing a job...

If it didnt damage the company stuff or hurt people, then they shouldnt have fired him.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

yeah, I know a guy that went into work and his freinds, as a joke, told him that he was going to be fired, so he told his boss to go fuck himself. needless to say, he was actually fired after that.

purplepixie's Avatar Senior Member

do youy think i'd get fired for a lip pirceing cause i really want one

depends. where do you work?

Weblogger

Quote Originally Posted by purplepixie
    do youy think i'd get fired for a lip pirceing cause i really want one
    Does your employer have a dress policy? I know some firms in the UK are starting to get a little bit anti when it comes to employees who are in the public eye.

Of course, if you were in a West End boutique in London, that would be fine, but I think Kidderminster is a little bit off the fashion track.

hmmm i work in tesco as a shelf stacker......................................fum

Weblogger

Quote Originally Posted by purplepixie
    hmmm i work in tesco as a shelf stacker......................................fum
    That's during opening hours, right? I don't think that they'd object to one piercing, but I'd ask the store manager first to be on the safe side; it may be that you have to take it out during work times.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightingale
    That's during opening hours, right? I don't think that they'd object to one piercing, but I'd ask the store manager first to be on the safe side; it may be that you have to take it out during work times.
    well i already heve a nose pirceing (i had a ring in it for ages and they didnt have a problem with it but then they decided that they did and now its brken from all the taking it in and out and its not fair grrr cause i have to go to birmingham to get a new one)

they can't fire you for getting one, unless they sat first that you can't have one. but they can tell you you have to take it out during work hours, I'm pretty sure there are things that you can get to put in peircings so that they don't close up, but conceal the fact that you have a peircing.

Weblogger

For some reason nose piercings seemed to be acceptable for a while. I can see that they'd object to a lip piercing if they are being so anal about a nose piercing.

Of course, shelf-stacker at Tescos isn't your planned future, so perhaps there is still hope when you find a better minded employer.

Maybe ask your employer Pixie.

As far as the SETI screensaver, that's a pretty common application, but I cold see how someone could feel it might be a security risk or something to be transmitting data off the government computer, or maybe it was causing issues with their network.

well i think i will get it pirced asap if they saty anything at tesco i'll put a see through ball on it and see what they say if they fire me i dont care ill just get a new job this town is expanding so fast there must some jobs going

good plan. you shouldn't let a job stiffle you. there are jobs out there that have respect for the wishes of thier employees. I guess it all depends on your outlook, and if you are willing to risk joblessness for whatever it is that you want, for me It is, because what I do not want is to be tied down to a labor force that is futile and self-serving ( as in them, not me), and tiring to my self and my mental state, so I quit my job and it also allowed me to express avenues of my image that I couldn't while working a job (in my case and yours as well, that being peircings.) but I'm also poor and as I have little need for most possesions I am able to get by, but I can understand it would be harder for some people.

+ Reply to Thread