+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What would you think if Life was Like D&D, or some similar stuff.

Default What would you think if Life was Like D&D, or some similar stuff.

I would love to be an adventurer.

You would get to get paid for killing monsters.
    You get to hang out with a party of your closest friends.
    You go to cool places, and meet cool people.
    That would be awesome.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

Default Re: What would you think if Life was Like D&D, or some similar stuff.

Uhh that would be cool I would have to be a Malkavian from Vampire: The Masquerade because tottaly insane vampires kick ass

Who would want to be in My party of adventurers?

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Uhhm...

You can be whatever you want to be. Sure, there are real rules in real life, but if you want to adventure around, go for it. You want to be an unpredictable oddball, go for it. I think roleplaying games are a good tool for discovering some aspects of who you actually are and perhaps who you would like to be in real life, so long as you don't take it too far. On the otherhand, I think a lot of the restraints people put on themselves are totally artificial and they are not as powerless to become what they want to be as they might think they are.

Thurbane316's Avatar Throbbing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar
    I would love to be an adventurer.

You would get to get paid for killing monsters.
    You get to hang out with a party of your closest friends.
    You go to cool places, and meet cool people.
    That would be awesome.
    I'm a strictly 2nd edition or earlier type of guy (3rd ed bored me silly) - I'd be a half-elf fighter/mage - mmm, versatile!

Besides, I'm sure some A-hole would have to come try to lop my head off with an axe, so I'm just fine with real life...

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    Uhhm...

You can be whatever you want to be. Sure, there are real rules in real life, but if you want to adventure around, go for it. You want to be an unpredictable oddball, go for it. I think roleplaying games are a good tool for discovering some aspects of who you actually are and perhaps who you would like to be in real life, so long as you don't take it too far. On the otherhand, I think a lot of the restraints people put on themselves are totally artificial and they are not as powerless to become what they want to be as they might think they are.
    But what about the going out and slaying Monsters and getting paid for it while having fun?

My alignment in any case is Chaotic Neutral.

But what about the going out and slaying Monsters and getting paid for it while having fun?
    Join the Army or get into competitive martial arts.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Become a whale hunter in Japan.

Forestghost's Avatar Knowlege is power!

I would definately adopt the personality and skills of my favorite ever character. She was a half-elf magic-user/thief...VERY COOL. She would always go around seducing important people then slitting their throats in the night after any needed information was "taken"! hehehehehe, being chaotic evil is COOL!

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Happy 30th anniversary to the game of D&D!
    K

I've been playing for about twenty of those thirty years...so many memories...

As my first post, Hello Forrest. So no wonder you laughed at my FL reference. We are neighbors?

D&D is a great escape. I have a suggestion though. There is a great game out there called DungeonSiege. There is a great community with it. The game is about $20. Be sure and pick up the DS Legends of Arrainia version because it both original and the LOA expansion.

I have fond memory's of D&D. I don't get to play anymore. I still rememeber the time I rolled a Cleric and then a Paladin. Many a night at Ga Tech, being a techno geek and playing all night long.

Now real life. I have many ogers swinging axes at my head. I would love to be Legolas.

Flash

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

you mean if nerds in thier basement decided my every move?

wait a minute..

fuck you bill gates!

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    Join the Army or get into competitive martial arts.
    Army? As soon as war breaks out and you get to go out and slay monsters, everyone starts bitching and complaining.

The thing I hate about most Americans is thier paralizing fear of death. A D&D world where the Reaper is around the corner, and every morning you wake up glad to be alive knowing that your going to make a serious diffrence or die? Yeah, I think it would be an improvement.

I've always been a ShadowRun fan... but that would be a little to harsh.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by BurntSoulWalking
    Army? As soon as war breaks out and you get to go out and slay monsters, everyone starts bitching and complaining.

The thing I hate about most Americans is thier paralizing fear of death. A D&D world where the Reaper is around the corner, and every morning you wake up glad to be alive knowing that your going to make a serious diffrence or die? Yeah, I think it would be an improvement.

I've always been a ShadowRun fan... but that would be a little to harsh.
    That's daily life in any country though...unless you're a lazy fuck. A serious diffrence can be any number of things...from work to family related.

As far as Americans being paralized with fear of death...not sure that's true...look at all the crazy ass extreme sports they spawned...no culture so fearful of death would have spawned skateboardering..various motorsports...moonshine...the mass importation of drugs...etc.

American's play with death pretty regularly...hell just drive down the freeways in L.A. at around 5pm for a nice example of it.

Hey, what's with people sterotyping the D&D players? I would have thought this would be the last forum where people would stereotype based on media images.

Not all D&Ders or other role playing games fans are geeks who live in their parents basements. And if they are, so what?

I've played D&D with geeks, freaks, punx, goths, accountants, carpenters, veteranians, IT gurus, manual labourers and unemployed "bums". Some play it ultra seriously, some play it casually. D&D and other RPGs can be a fun release from work, social and others pressures, as much as a cutting, alcohol or drugs can be.

*sheesh*

Sorry for those who weren't on this train of thought (I know most of the comments were made in jest), but my beloved hobby needed some Bracers of Defense...

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    spawned...no culture so fearful of death would have spawned skateboardering..various motorsports...moonshine...the mass importation of drugs...etc.
    Do you really think American's spawned Moonshine? (you are refering to the seriously strong, homemade alcoholic beverage used during the prohibition?) My husband and his relatives from the Maritimes (in Canada) would have to argue with you. *shrugs*

Anyway, that has nothing to do with this post, so I'll just drop it.

Seriously though, in retrospect, is life truely that different from D&D? I mean, life is random (represented by the dice rolls in D&D). We decide what our actions are (much like D&D). Some supreme "power" controls fate, be it a god, or mother nature, or another form of randomness (represented by the dungeon master in D&D). We choose our alignments and our careers (much like D&D). We are born within a certain race and with certain genetic attributes, some of which can be improved with experience (much like D&D).

Of course D&D has cool magic and monsters and dungeons and stuff..but you catch my meaning!

GasmaskGirl's Avatar Senior Member
    Ottawa Ontario, Canada (actually born in Saskatchewan Canada)

I have never played D&D. But even though it sounds totally dorky, it sounds fun

skully's Avatar Senior Member
    northern jersey(my dad has been a bridge and tunnel rat my whole life and i am following in his footsteps)

"I think roleplaying games are a good tool for discovering some aspects of who you actually are and perhaps who you would like to be in real life, so long as you don't take it too far "

thats my favorite part of it. (that and live action if done right can come across more like a big improv show rather then gaming)

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Forestghost
    Do you really think American's spawned Moonshine? (you are refering to the seriously strong, homemade alcoholic beverage used during the prohibition?) My husband and his relatives from the Maritimes (in Canada) would have to argue with you. *shrugs*
    Never said they originated it...but a culture obsessed with mortality would never have adopted it and spawned their own variations on it. Moonshine as far as making homemade liqour is part of every culture and has no one origin.

Understood Tequila...

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by GasmaskGirl
    I have never played D&D. But even though it sounds totally dorky, it sounds fun
    Out of curiosity how does it sound dorky?

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

ive never played any rpg like D&D im more familiar with the video game type so id say it would kick ass to be a summoner or a black mage like in final fantasy

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I don't know... a self-contained realm where characters who's every action is plotted out and scripted, do battle against each other with the potential to weild massive power so that they can gain money and experience and fight off monsters sounds pretty dorky to me...

That's why I turned off the Presidential Debate and played D&D instead!

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

whenver I wonder about life immitating d&d i always think about that cartoon in one of the first edition rulebooks wher a party of adventurers is playing a game where they're all businessmen and the suchlike , of cours I'm comfortable with my insanity so it's all the same to me

+ Reply to Thread