+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Comic Book to Feature HIV-Positive Hero

and your little dog too

Default Comic Book to Feature HIV-Positive Hero

from yahoo

By ANTHONY BREZNICAN, AP Entertainment Writer

LOS ANGELES - Along with fighting alien menaces and criminal masterminds, the "Green Arrow" comic book will now feature a sidekick engaged in a more personal struggle — this one against HIV (news - web sites).

It's the first major comic book to deal with HIV, and a dose of hard-edged reality to the usually fanciful world of costumed crime fighters.

In the latest issue of "Green Arrow," set for publication Wednesday, a teenage runaway named Mia — who has been in the care of the title hero for two years — discovers that her time spent as a street-dweller and prostitute has resulted in her picking up the virus.

Writer Judd Winick, who oversees the "Green Arrow" story line, said this is a way to explore socially conscious themes while also giving the Mia character extra motivation to make a difference in the world.

"We've been hinting all along the way that she's interested in taking up the mantle, being a sidekick, getting out there in the streets and helping out," Winick told The Associated Press. "Green Arrow won't hear of it."

The news that she has HIV leads her to push Green Arrow even more. Fighting crime, Winick said, is what she wants to do with her life. "So he allows her to slap on a costume and become his sidekick, which has the silly name of Speedy," Winick said. "It's not as a death wish, but she can't fool around anymore. This isn't about an abbreviated life span. It is about life having focus," he added.

Speedy was originally a boy sidekick, but the character is now grown up and goes by the more mature name of Arsenal.

Winick may be known to some from his stint on MTV's roommate reality-show, "The Real World" 1993, on which he appeared with Pedro Zamora, who died the next year after a public battle with AIDS (news - web sites).

That experience, along with other friends who have contracted the virus, made the Mia story line a personal one for the writer. He said he wanted to approach HIV from the point of view of other young people.

"Mia is coming to terms with it in the way most young people are. It isn't about death and dying. Young people, for good or for bad, are still pretty fearless. With drug combination therapy people are living a very long time," Winick told the AP. "She seems to be unafraid of death, she's mostly feeling like no one is ever going to love her. She's HIV-positive and who's going to want to be with her now?"

Mia won't be lonely for long. As Speedy, she will later join the popular "Teen Titans" DC Comics series alongside Robin, Cyborg and Raven in the popular youth hero series.

Although some may perceive the HIV story line as a downer, Winick said it's important for comics to address real-world matters.

"Comics have a long history of telling lessons," he said. "They tell stories through metaphor, but sometimes I feel we don't need the metaphor. Why should it be that Mia contracts some alien virus?"

___

On the Net:

http://www.dccomics.com/

Default Re: Comic Book to Feature HIV-Positive Hero

This kinda bugs me because Shadowhawk was fairly big for a while, and they were willing to do what I am willing to bet DC will not, let the guy die. Granted, he got aids by being violently injected, which was a bit of a cop out, but this comic was from like 10 or 15 years ago. I should be happy I guess that a bigger name is covering the subject, but the article is ignoring the past.

I wonder if DC will do their character the same respect of letting her die when the time comes. I am impressed every day Barbra Gordan stays in her wheelchair (god I am a geek ) but others keep coming back from the dead. We'll see how they handle it I guess.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Cafe_Post_Mortem
    This kinda bugs me because Shadowhawk was fairly big for a while, and they were willing to do what I am willing to bet DC will not, let the guy die. Granted, he got aids by being violently injected, which was a bit of a cop out, but this comic was from like 10 or 15 years ago. I should be happy I guess that a bigger name is covering the subject, but the article is ignoring the past.

I wonder if DC will do their character the same respect of letting her die when the time comes. I am impressed every day Barbra Gordan stays in her wheelchair (god I am a geek ) but others keep coming back from the dead. We'll see how they handle it I guess.

Wow, it totally pisses me off when media giants claim to be pioneers with one or another little property of theirs when there are real pioneers who have been in the trenches for years and who actually made the real difference. Why people can't congratulate themselves in PR for what they really did, instead of taking credit for what they didn't . . . well, I think it is both wrong and pretty stupid as people who are into the thing will know and the truth will eventually come out.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Way to catch up with reality DC...you're only about oh....nearly 20 years too late on the subject. This sounds like another lame attempt to boost sales of comics that are declining in sales...much along the lines of Marvels "Gay Hero in Alpha Flight" controversy of years back...to this day Marvel has yet to realize that Alpha Flight sold poorly cause it was a lame canadian x-men...I mean if you want some passion and chemistry make an all Latino X-Men...THAT'D Kick ass....

back to the point though...nice attempt to include the waking world but simply too late to be effective...make Superman have HIV...then that'd be something to talk about...or Batman...

This all screams of using a serious issue in a bad way too boost sales, cred, and ego.

side note: That dipstick twit from The Real World is still working on comics...fuck that industry needs new blood.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Cafe_Post_Mortem
    Shadowhawk pushed the buttons in a lot of ways...it tacked racism, black super heroes, revenge, the above mentioned HIV ...great series that is FINALLY coming back.

I remember the issue where you found out he was Black...no big deal now but back then it was like WTF?! A black guy as a cool superhero?!...I remember being a bit confused and having to really sort my feelings about it....I keep that issue close to my heart for that reason. Very underrated series that made you think far more than other comics of the age.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

eh. fuck super heroes they are just cops with capes. most of them are just propaghanda machines, they fought hitler in WWII era.. what a joke. they might as well join him. come on, superman (an insult to the name if there ever was one) is like the model aryan. fighting for "the american way", (and fuck all the other countries in the world, who cares about them?) by using violence to defeat everything that he is against, which also seems to ironically be what he's against- using violence to coerce others- as well.
    These lame ass so-called "real world social issues" comics are about as sub-culturally relevent as the animated movie A Shark's Tale. you want to have a real taboo super hero? How about making an Islamic superhero that fights against Isreali mad scientists trying to make doomsday devices. I'd like to see that one. maybe in about a thousand years.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    These lame ass so-called "real world social issues" comics are about as sub-culturally relevent as the animated movie A Shark's Tale. you want to have a real taboo super hero? How about making an Islamic superhero that fights against Isreali mad scientists trying to make doomsday devices. I'd like to see that one. maybe in about a thousand years.
    Actually if you go to Islamic countries you'd probably find it...

As far as your Superman comments go...they are so off base it's hilarious and I will tell you why...

You are not putting the character in the context of his age...he PRE-DATES WW2...he was also created by men who were as far from what you described as possible. Superman is not about violence...he's the ultimate boyscout who uses physical strength againt equally physical villians...he's like the guy you wish would stand up and beat up the local street gangs as a kid. I'm not a big fan personally but I've heard your comments many times and they stem from ignorence about the character...

And for even more proof how ill advised it is to think superman the aryan ideal...HITLER HIMSELF in Nazi papers condemned the character time and time again....Nazi papers trashed the character and his jewish creators...so if the third reich itself didn't buy into the outlook...it just doesn't stand.

I felt the same way at one point and had similar thoughts but oh how I was schooled about it...

Plus to be honest you can't go through life without using physical force in some way...it's just not possible.

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

back in the 80's, Speedy was a heroin junkie too, why do they always have to pick on Speedy?

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by hewhoisagod
    back in the 80's, Speedy was a heroin junkie too, why do they always have to pick on Speedy?
    Seriously...sucks to be a Green Arrow sidekick.

yeah, hitler didn't like him because he was always shown kicking his ass. I can understand that. doesn't mean that they weren't the same. I mean superman was clearly an earth racist, he favored humans above all the other alien races, and the only one's who matched him physically were other kryptonians. It's true that he does face conflict because he feels bad that he's always killing people, and the first people that he caused to die, was very distressing to him and alnost made him stop being a super hero, but nonetheless he still does it, it's clearly not the answer to use violence to counter violence, since everything he does ends up hurting people, and that's why lex luthor hates him.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

yeah, hitler didn't like him because he was always shown kicking his ass. I can understand that. doesn't mean that they weren't the same. I mean superman was clearly an earth racist, he favored humans above all the other alien races, and the only one's who matched him physically were other kryptonians. It's true that he does face conflict because he feels bad that he's always killing people, and the first people that he caused to die, was very distressing to him and alnost made him stop being a super hero, but nonetheless he still does it, it's clearly not the answer to use violence to counter violence, since everything he does ends up hurting people, and that's why lex luthor hates him.
    Wow this is convoluted...it's like one of those boy scout knots I could never get the hang of...

Superman is unique amoung the comic heroes for a few reasons that you left out...their is the comic book superman, the animated superman, and the TV superman...in each of these he varies and changes...with his mythology and personality tweaked a bit along with those he interacts with.

What you also leave out is that he's called in or appears as a LAST resort...Alien invasion comes...he's the line of defense called in (along with the assorted JL teams) to save the day and what not...that's his job really...to be the force against force when all else fails. He's also had to play the diplomat at times and is such a busy fella ole Martian Manhunter has to take up some slack...as far as killing people goes...he has one of the lowest bodycount of any hero ever created in the history of mythology both modern and old...he tends to put more in hospitals then graves.

Superman fights the nutjobs who will harm without question...and in more recent years has really been put through the paces of how to handle force against force...far more responsibly than any other hero as well.

In terms of ole lex...he's the ultimate in evil big business bastards...pure ego driven machiavellian insanity all rolled into one balled headed bad ass package...he hates superman for a variety of reasons but the main has always been superman's interuption of his plans and practices...like an FTC thug come to life for him really.

I guess we just don't see eye to eye on ol' big S. I've always liked batman better, myself.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

I guess we just don't see eye to eye on ol' big S. I've always liked batman better, myself.
    Same here...he has better stories and a more developed character.

Y'know, writer Peter David wrote an excellent comment piece about the time of the Northstar/Alpha Flight gay issue, including the theory that supervillains would now be scared to slug it out with him, especially if they drew blood whilst bleeding themselves, as they would most likely think gay=HIV+. He also wrote an excellent issue of The Incredible Hulk (one of many) which dealt with the issue of HIV (amongst other things) as well.

Now with this turn of events, there's no room for doubt I guess. I'm sure Judd Winick will handle it well though...it's an issue that's very close to his heart, for obvious reasons, and he's already tackled the issue to much critical acclaim with 'Pedro and Me'. Plus he seemed like a pretty decent fellow whenever I chatted with him on the CBLDF Making Waves cruise down to Mexico...Eisner, Miller, Gaiman, and Quentin Tarantino's mother too! If only there was a gratuitous name-dropping smiley for this forum!
    Last edited by Hypnotic Vampire; 10-17-2004 at 12:53 AM. Reason: An odd line appeared at the end of the message, from the body of the post itself

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotic Vampire
    Y'know, writer Peter David wrote an excellent comment piece about the time of the Northstar/Alpha Flight gay issue, including the theory that supervillains would now be scared to slug it out with him, especially if they drew blood whilst bleeding themselves, as they would most likely think gay=HIV+. He also wrote an excellent issue of The Incredible Hulk (one of many) which dealt with the issue of HIV (amongst other things) as well.

Now with this turn of events, there's no room for doubt I guess. I'm sure Judd Winick will handle it well though...it's an issue that's very close to his heart, for obvious reasons, and he's already tackled the issue to much critical acclaim with 'Pedro and Me'. Plus he seemed like a pretty decent fellow whenever I chatted with him on the CBLDF Making Waves cruise down to Mexico...Eisner, Miller, Gaiman, and Quentin Tarantino's mother too! If only there was a gratuitous name-dropping smiley for this forum!

Well you sold me on it...I'll have to check it out then. I just have this thing against Real World Cast Members...I want to hunt them down a la The Running Man...not entirely sure why I want to do that but I think their is some Manchurian Candidate kinda voodoo going on.

The Peter David stuff was indeed quite excellent...but he's always been one of my fav and to me the definative Spider-Man writer...as much flack as I'd get for saying that....HIS spidey has some great heart and unique crafting that took it way beyond what Stan Lee envisioned.

Heard about the cruise...sounds like quite a time was had...feel free to name drop all you want...I don't think comic creators carry the same cache as other celebs so it's not so much name dropping as it is name introducing. Get a chance to talk to Eisner and the like?

Eisner was the toughest one to get any time with...in the bar they had set aside for us to use, they had these kind of wavy couches with fixed tables in front of them, so if you were behind the table, you had to ask people at the ends to get up and let you out...one evening I saw Eisner sandwiched in one of these things, pinned in either side by two fanboy types who were pumping him for info and opinion like there was no tomorrow....one of them was even taking notes in a little ringbound journal.

Who were these fanboys? Neil Gaiman and Frank Miller! Eisner is truly the fanboy wet dream comic creator's fanboy wet dream comic creator...if that makes sense. Frank Miller was kind of sick when he came on the boat, so he missed a few days of the action, but made up for it once he had his sea legs. There were plenty of folk on the cruise...Mart Nodell, Evan Dorkin and Sarah Dwyer, Neal Adams, Los Bros. Hernandez, Kurt Busiek, Mark Waid, Brian Pulido (a super nice guy), Dennis Kitchen, Bob Schreck, Diana Schutz, Gary Groth (group hiss from pros and fans alike when his presence was announced!), Chris Ware, Adrian Tomine, Judd Winick, Jill Thompson (HUGE Undertaker fan) and loads of others too, like the chap who owns Graphitti Designs whose name has escaped me !? Then mix in sundry fans/retailers (about a 60/40 male/female split, funnily enough)...it was halcyon days!

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Man I'd of been just as fanboyish around Eisner...his work is what keeps me dreaming. How can you look at his pages and NOT want to do comics?

Yeah...I've already got that Eisner/Miller thing on my Christmas wishlist!

+ Reply to Thread