Thread: psychobilly /rockabilly?

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

Default Re: psychobilly /rockabilly?

hey man,just say fuck 'em

morning what the hell man you always do this shit,but he just got here

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

hey, im sorry that I have to resort to such brutality, it is a greater shame upon me than anything... but I can't stand being misunderstood. I made it very clear that my attack was on the practices of epitaph records- not upon any one's choice of bands, personal taste, or personality especially... yet I am met with personal critisism and challenges against me, so I must respond accordingly to brutes.

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
    The Sharks
    Flat Duo Jets
    The Scoffed

Here is a stupid question, but am going to ask it.

What is Tom Waits classified as because I seem to have a problem classifying him?

CorporateGoth's Avatar Devout follower of Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    hey, im sorry that I have to resort to such brutality, it is a greater shame upon me than anything... but I can't stand being misunderstood. I made it very clear that my attack was on the practices of epitaph records- not upon any one's choice of bands, personal taste, or personality especially... yet I am met with personal critisism and challenges against me, so I must respond accordingly to brutes.
    Fucking Whaaaah!

CorporateGoth's Avatar Devout follower of Bob

which part? the fact that the music of the sixties, seventies, and early 80's didn't soudn the same as the music from the fifties? there's a reason for that, it was because people were able to think up new things.
    and as far as epitaph being a major label? well there bands dominate the "aternative" radio charts, and they act like they are underground so it's even worse for people that aren't into "mainstream" music to listen to them, because they are big enough and have the marketting power that all they do is overpower real underground labels, and sell the same old bullshit we've heard for years and claim it as 'rebelous" or the "hot new thing" and it keeps fresh talent and independant musicians from being heard, unless they sign to epitaph of course, which doesn't even promote radical ideas or expressions. in fact many bands on there label they refused to release their material; because it was too contraverisal, which led many of thier bands to break away from them.
    Why does a bands worth have to be dictated by which record label they are sighned to or distributes their work? I find that being so desperate to stay "underground" can be as conforming as signing to the largest label around. It should be about the end result, not who signs the checks.... And Ill be the first to say that Epitaph isnt really my scene, so I am not here to argue their ethics cause I dont really know shit about them. However, Ive heard truly great artists and albums signed to huge labels. Of course signing to a major has been the death knell for many, but not all.

Deadbolt

Quote Originally Posted by Azazel3
    Deadbolt
    i just found out about them through that psycho comp at Hot Topic. i've only heard the song "Billy's Dead", but it's fucking great.

you made nothing clear to anyone. you churned out illiterate dissertations crying about corporate involvement in a scene (which i'll state again) that you know nothing about.

stick to conor oberst, tough guy hardcore and wanna-grind.

Ichigo's Avatar Senior Member

Sorry, I don't like rockabilly or psychobilly. I don't like the sound of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichigo
    Sorry, I don't like rockabilly or psychobilly. I don't like the sound of it.
    then it must be because you don't understand the scene. see if you were intelligent enough to type out a doctorate thesis on the subject, you'd know that all other music sucks and if you think otherwise, it's your own fault.

hey sorry if that sounded mean, but no one should be entitled to thier own opinions or be allowed to add anything counter to the majority views. from now on I'm going to be just like Todd Van Orsdel, because he's so smart and great, and if you don't think so, then I'm not going to listen to anything you say.

to be serious for a moment, yes I do listen to conor oberst. people may judge him for his senitmental and sometimes overly whiny vocals, but he is a gifted artist at writing poetic stylings, even if they are not to everyone's liking. Furthermore, it is often overlooked that conor collaborates with a multitude of talented musicians that are greatly underappreictaed in the public eye. Bright Eyes is by no means a one-man band, by far it's the opposite.

I do not listen to tough guy hardcore. you lose a hundred scene points for not being "with it".

I don't really need to remark on your comment about wannabe grind, it should be obvious. those bands that I listen to mainly being Charles Bronson- weren't great talented musicians. honestly, they sucked. they played one chord. what they contributed with thier unmatched charisma was a revitalising of a genre that had degraded from something vaguely resembling heavy metal's roots to the commercial, flamboyent and excessively silly metal of the 80's and early ninties.

anyone heard that song "night of the vampire"? shit, I don't remember who does it. don't know if it's considered "psycho/rockabilly" whateva. It's like " if you're walking and it's raining, don't slip in mud; 'cuz if you do, you'll slip in blood" haha. it's pretty lame, but that's what makes it cool and catchy.

which part? the fact that the music of the sixties, seventies, and early 80's didn't soudn the same as the music from the fifties? there's a reason for that, it was because people were able to think up new things.
    and as far as epitaph being a major label? well there bands dominate the "aternative" radio charts, and they act like they are underground so it's even worse for people that aren't into "mainstream" music to listen to them, because they are big enough and have the marketting power that all they do is overpower real underground labels, and sell the same old bullshit we've heard for years and claim it as 'rebelous" or the "hot new thing" and it keeps fresh talent and independant musicians from being heard, unless they sign to epitaph of course, which doesn't even promote radical ideas or expressions. in fact many bands on there label they refused to release their material; because it was too contraverisal, which led many of thier bands to break away from them.
    After this FASCINATING little tirade I noticed you posting a polar oppisite sentiment in originality conformity......Indy bands can be on a major label....they are still hanging out with their old friends they still play to the same crowd..God forbid they should make money doing what they love?If another small indy artist doesn't have a major label deal they aren't MORE indy they are just not selling enough records to get picked up.....You are forcing talented bands to stay small to CONFORM to YOUR ideal of the industry....GET OVER YOURSELF YOU ELITEST BASTARD YOU ARE NOT THAT FUCKING IMPORTANT>>>>and by the way your taste in music does suck....that's why the bands you like aren't on major labels....

thanks for the flattery, I wasn't aware that I had so much control over the music industry. I fell really special now. you've just made my day.

Oh yeah, and on a side note, did you ever bother to think that maybe doing what people love Isn't making money? It really shows a shallowness on your part that you only consider doing something supposedly out of love for it's rewards, as opposed to the joy in simply doing what you love. That's why the bands that I like aren't on major labels, it's not about the mainstream or the undeground, it's about the bottom line of an artists integrity. you claim I'm forcing the bands to conform to MY ideal, but i've seen no one refute the fact that epitaph censors it's bands, and does the very same thing that you accuse the "underground" of doing, blocking talented musicians from making thier own art. at the end of the day it's about if a band does what they do for the joy of it, and creates the kind of art that they want. so fuck you very much for the presupposition that anyone should cater to you. I like the bands that I like, and no one cares what you think but yourself. you guy's need to stop acting out of a third grade mentality that if you don't like it ,it sucks.( way to be so tolerant and un-elitist.) and by the way saying something "sucks" is really a valid argument on the pros and cons of an issue. why don't you try actaully using real reasons to support your argument, like I did of epitaph records.

Ichigo's Avatar Senior Member

Wow, that wasn't very nice. I do have an opinion on it, but I was just too lazy to write it out. I dislike music from the 50s, or that sounds like music from the 50s. I never liked that type of music, so that's why I don't listen to it.

+ Reply to Thread