+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Red Wine

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

Default Red Wine

Anyone like red wine? I just found a great zinfandel, not too expensive, about $8.99 a bottle. Rosenblum's Zinfandel from California. Really excellent. I am not sure if you can get it everywhere, I am in Manhattan.

Any other good, reasonably priced red wines?

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

Default Re: Red Wine

i dont know much about wine so i dont know what makes it great altho there is a good one we drink at my house evry thanksgiving at adinner i cant remember the name right now but il let you know when i remember the name or i call up my uncle who brings the bottle evry year

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

I love drinking red wine. Mostly I get the good wines from one or other of our supermarkets; it's amazing what you can get in a normal market for quality without the price.

What kinds of wines do you find in Germany?

Weblogger

Practically anything you can think of. By US standards (and French, come to think of it) the supermarkets here are small, but the selection of wines is proportionally large. There are Californian, Australian, French and German, Tunisien, Australian, Italian, Hungarian and many other wines. Many years ago, when the 1989 wines first came out, I built up a small cellar. 89 was a marvellous year for German wines, and I had something like thirty cases of different sorts. Sadly I had to go and fight a war or something minor and got back to find that my (now) ex-wife had placed all the wines on the balcony over winter. She tried to say how surprised she was when the bottles started exploding, but didn't have the brain power to bring the remaining ones in. Three bottles survived.

When I get back from my small trip out this evening I'll pull out a bottle of red and toast you with it.

So they basically have wines from all over, just like in Manhattan!! What are German wines like? I think the only German wine I remember was I think a dessert wine, a Reisling, is that correct? I could be wrong.

I always get the California wines! But I would like to try a German wine. Maybe I will look for a 1989...

Yes, and I will be toasting you tonight, in my Manhattan apartment, with my chandelier and candles, and Rosenblum Zinfandel!!

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

when the 2003 french wines come out, those should be pretty damn good

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

My Uncle grows for Kenwood Winery (Cabernet Sauvignon). It's incredibly dry. They also have Pinot Noir and Zinfandel which you might really like.

OEC

I've given up on red wines. It seems like all I've tried have been gritty and bitter. I think I'll go to a wine tasting to find out which ones are actually good, and stop wasting money on buying an entire bottle of something I won't like. However, I am a big fan of Reisling..... with something that sweet, who even needs a dessert?

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    My Uncle grows for Kenwood Winery (Cabernet Sauvignon). It's incredibly dry. They also have Pinot Noir and Zinfandel which you might really like.

OEC
    Yes, Kenwood is good, I should try some of those. How cool to have an uncle in the wine business! Love your one eyed cat by the way!!

Quote Originally Posted by hewhoisagod
    when the 2003 french wines come out, those should be pretty damn good

Have you ever tried a Marquaux? I swear, it is the BEST red wine I have had in my life. My friend (A supreme court judge punk rocker, can you believe) is a real wine expert and we had dinner, and I swear it is the best wine. Expensive, but really great.

The only other French wines I am familiar with are the Chateau LaFete which NO ONE could ever afford, and Chateau de Rothschild, which used to have some pretty affordable wine.

So was 2003 supposed to have been a good year for wine?

Quote Originally Posted by macabrette
    I've given up on red wines. It seems like all I've tried have been gritty and bitter. I think I'll go to a wine tasting to find out which ones are actually good, and stop wasting money on buying an entire bottle of something I won't like. However, I am a big fan of Reisling..... with something that sweet, who even needs a dessert?
    YOu are so right, there is NOTHING worse than bad red wine. But good red wine is just the best thing in the world. Especially with steak, or just some cheese...

I can't wait to go home and have my wine!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MistressJennifer
    Yes, Kenwood is good, I should try some of those. How cool to have an uncle in the wine business! Love your one eyed cat by the way!!
    It definitely is. All the mud involved and squishing the grapes (those saved for personal consumption) is just amazing when you are a kid. My cat is getting a nearly twin brother oec in early November. Will have pics up. I'm sure they'd both like you too Don't worry tho, they hate relationships too. I'll bring u a bottle if I'm ever in NYC when you play.

OEC

Weblogger

So they basically have wines from all over, just like in Manhattan!! What are German wines like? I think the only German wine I remember was I think a dessert wine, a Reisling, is that correct? I could be wrong.

I always get the California wines! But I would like to try a German wine. Maybe I will look for a 1989...

Yes, and I will be toasting you tonight, in my Manhattan apartment, with my chandelier and candles, and Rosenblum Zinfandel!!
    I don't know whether you'll have much luck finding an 89 now, but it would be worth a try. There have been a few good years since too.

This evening I drank a bottle of my House Wine (which I always have here for guests and similar), a Château de Mornag Mandragon (Grand Cru). I can't quite manage the chandelier and candles at the moment, since I am still renovating this old house, but a 60 watt bulb works wonders too!

Anyone like red wine? I just found a great zinfandel, not too expensive, about $8.99 a bottle. Rosenblum's Zinfandel from California. Really excellent. I am not sure if you can get it everywhere, I am in Manhattan.

Any other good, reasonably priced red wines?
    Drunk Date into Kinky Stuff = FREE Red Wine. Bwuahahahaaha.

Damniel's Avatar Senior Member

There are some quality red wines here in mexico and not too expensive, i guess you'll have no problem finding the, not that they are cheap super market wine but they export them and have great quiality, my father might start his own vid, 'cause the weather here is great for de vid's. i hope he can do it.

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

So was 2003 supposed to have been a good year for wine?
    They had a really nasty heat wave in France that year......it happened during growing season for grapes and made them smaller and sweeter......... unfortunately a lot of people died from the heat........ but people are saying it will probably be one very good year for wines.

morbid_lady's Avatar Senior Member

i love merlot, always have.
    and there was that stuff dad got me for Gr8 grad. i think it was a rosette though.

Living Dead Girl

I'm more of a white wine person myself...

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

I do adore a good red wine. Unfortunately I have to be careful with it.One glass too many turns me into a motor mouth. I was actually holding my tongue in my hand and was still attempting to talk. Wish some one had had a video camera or something. I don't consider myself a connisour (or a speller) of fine wines, but like art, I know what I like. THe stuff my girlfriend gives me on my birthday every year is the best, it's given with love (and it's free!).
    K

Oh I know, motor mouth here too!!! I also start to annunciate more, really over do it so that no one will know I am tipsy, so I start to sound like a drunken socialite!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightingale
    I don't know whether you'll have much luck finding an 89 now, but it would be worth a try. There have been a few good years since too.

This evening I drank a bottle of my House Wine (which I always have here for guests and similar), a Château de Mornag Mandragon (Grand Cru). I can't quite manage the chandelier and candles at the moment, since I am still renovating this old house, but a 60 watt bulb works wonders too!
    Yes, my wine expert friend says that any Grand Cru is good. I had my Rosenblum Zinfandel!!!! I thought of you darling!!!

Oh I know, motor mouth here too!!! I also start to annunciate more, really over do it so that no one will know I am tipsy, so I start to sound like a drunken socialite!!!!
    I tend to stumble over litter boxes while maintaining hours long monologues lol I really have to be careful. Champagne is even worse.

OEC

Stumble over litter boxes!!! That's a good one...

Stumble over litter boxes!!! That's a good one...
    I have damage to my inner ear which causes a balance disorder which I overcompensate for.
    I actually never sound like I'm drunk, but I'll very casually just start dropping glasses and act like nothing's happened.

OEC

purplepixie's Avatar Senior Member

red is better than white

skully's Avatar Senior Member
    northern jersey(my dad has been a bridge and tunnel rat my whole life and i am following in his footsteps)

many of my friends would swear by "trader joe's" wine... they said there was a big enough selection to find what you like and the prices were always cheap. not sure if there are any trader joe's around nyc/nj but there are a few in boston and a bunch of other new england states, so i am sure it will make its way down here eventually if not already.

northern jersey(my dad has been a bridge and tunnel rat my whole life and i am following in his footsteps)

oh and the only wine i will drink is a merlot when mixxed with chambord and i believe cranberry

the drink is called a "blood bath"
    (my bartender friends got the recipie from a bartender at "mothers" in nyc and it is good)

Quote Originally Posted by skully
    oh and the only wine i will drink is a merlot when mixxed with chambord and i believe cranberry

the drink is called a "blood bath"
    (my bartender friends got the recipie from a bartender at "mothers" in nyc and it is good)
    I must try that one!! Wasn't "Mother's" a good club? I miss it. They closed down all the good clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by skully
    many of my friends would swear by "trader joe's" wine... they said there was a big enough selection to find what you like and the prices were always cheap. not sure if there are any trader joe's around nyc/nj but there are a few in boston and a bunch of other new england states, so i am sure it will make its way down here eventually if not already.

OH, they are so right about Trader Joes, I used to get great wines for what, $3.99, $4.99. They don't have them in Manhattan, probably around the outskirts somewhere. Trader Joes was the BEST!

electricgoblin's Avatar Member

Any spanish one, specially from Rioja

Scott's Avatar Senior Member

I am a total wine-o
    I love red wine..
    I'm not an expert or anything but mostly I like Cabernet, Merlot, or Shiraz
    often i find myself picking up whatever is the pau hana special at the store..
    but sometimes i treat myself to something nicer.

I must try that one!! Wasn't "Mother's" a good club? I miss it. They closed down all the good clubs.

LOL a big running joke with all my friends is they close any club that my friends go to that i want to go to...

mothers, the bank, limelight(while it was still kool) tequila joe's in jersey and a few other clubs that everyone loves that gets closed before i go to it.

kellie's Avatar Senior Member

My favorite red wine is Sangiovese. Ruffino makes a damn good sangiovese, and a great sangiovese/merlot blend.

Quote Originally Posted by kellie
    My favorite red wine is Sangiovese. Ruffino makes a damn good sangiovese, and a great sangiovese/merlot blend.
    Wow, I have never even heard of that one. I should try it, I will enquire at my local wine store.

+ Reply to Thread