+ Reply to Thread

Thread: High school Zines?

Default High school Zines?

My high school is really boring. No one ever attends any of the even half-promising events. So, in order to stir up some controversy, and some excitement (as well as help the local scene), I though about starting a zine.

The issue, is that I have no idea of how to go about it. I mean, I have ideas for one or two articles or columns, and I'm a semi-decent writer, but I'd like one or two orther working on it with me. How do I find people interested in it?

Also, if people could throw out some topics, or names for the zine, that'd be great. My school's called Alexander Mackenzie High School (or Alex Mack, A-Mack, and AMHS). Something that could play off one of those would be great, but it really doesn't matter too much.

Thanks!

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

Default Re: High school Zines?

steps..I use to do a zine in Highschool...it wasn't very good but I had alot of fun and met some very cool well knonw people in the punk community. is it for the school itself? if so don't you have a school newspaper? if it's for yourself get a peice of paper and write ideas down. I would go it alone till you have a solid format and people actually reading it. When idid my zine I did it by myself, everytime somone helped they took advantage of the situation be it band interviews or pictures or CD reviews. My zine was called Ejection Seat....it was just my ideas about the world andreviews about music...

bre.star's Avatar Senior Member

Alex Mack! I loved that show!!

Hey that's actually pretty cool. I think if anyone started a zine at my school I would respect that. Go for it! I guess you could have a rant collumn so kids could say about what they don't like about your school. CPRB has some good ideas. Maybe you get people involved by having a contest or something? You could promote local bands. You could sort of like a Dear Abby or Ask Anything collumn, those are always interesting... Talk about controversal stuff going on in your town, get peoples oppinions. The possibilities are endless! Good luck

When I was in high school I used to work on the school paper. We had to write legitimate articles (articles on school events, reviews of plays and concerts held at the school, sports events...), and we had a limited amount of space, but we still were able to write some fun articles, too... The most popular thing that we did was poll people. We would go around to study halls and ask people questions like, "What's your favorite band?" and stuff like that, and make a little chart (3 out of 50 people like Orgy, etc.) and add in some people's comments like, "I want to have wild animal sex with Jay Gordon. - Jane Doe"

Doing something like that would be cool, and when you go around polling people you'd be advertising your 'zine :-)

+ Reply to Thread