+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First Performance

Default First Performance

Last night, my band played for our first time in front of people. It was only a small basement Halloween party, with about 20 people, but it went really, really well, and people liked us!

The only issue is that after about an hour or two of screaming, by throat turns to shit. Anyone know any way to stop that? Thanks.

Default Re: First Performance

Not sure, but I think Drinking Honey and Water is supposed to help a sore throat.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

you need to learn how to do it properly you should try more singing than screaming or you can permanantly burn your voice out this almost happened to me untill i learned proper techniques oh by the way red wine and pot are soothing to the throat when mixed

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

honey does work ,but i always use really hot heavily buttered grits,&mabey a coffe or somthing always does the trick for me,my voice goes to shit for like a week if i don't (those low growls for an ahour or 2 straight are a bitch man, im right there with ya!

hope that helps

Eternal throes's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar
    Not sure, but I think Drinking Honey and Water is supposed to help a sore throat.

It's honey, lemon and water but you should fallow kidthorazine's advice aswell.
    It would suck to lose your voice so earlie on in your career.

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

KIdthorazine is right, as person who use to do the od kungfu kick and oi!oi!oi! Learning how to sing is important, but more then that is how to project you voice uisng your Diaphram..not not the contraceptive...your stomach muscles. also how you appraoch the microphone....we'll call it mike for now....never have your head tilted back so you're singing up to the mike alwasy have it level to you and never have it so yer singing down to it. Don't sing using your throat......that's why it's soar....you get you force from your lungs and your throat or to be more exact your voice box controls the pitch while your stomach controls bass and range, you voice box also controls treble...there are some amazing vocalist out there...and to be honest I lve nothing more the hearing a powerful voice, yes screechy screaming vocals can be cool Like Bikini Kill or Atari Teenage Riot but if you wanna floor your audience a well trained full range female voice is just down right sexy and just the best thing in the world to listen to. Good luck.

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

as for the red wine and pot that's your choice but not suggested....

bre.star's Avatar Senior Member

yah im going to go with the crowd and say listen to kidthorazine and cprb. once you figure out how to use your voice, you wont put so much strain and it wont go to shit. just think about all the screamers in bands who go on tour and have to perform night after night! i wish i could scream, i cant, and if i do my voice goes to shit after like a minute hehe, while my cousin is friggin natural professional and gets mad that her voice doesnt get crackly, she thinks it sexy to have a crackly voice hehe.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

another thing, remember that if you are using a mic you dont have to sing overly loud because the mic will pick you up on pretty low levels just remember to distance yourself from monitors and amps for other instruments ive had problems with that because i sing and play guitar so i have to have the monitor for my axe close by but if you are singing it shouldnt be a problem just set the mic up level to your face especially if you are using a cardioid mic

Ouroboros's Avatar Senior Member

Just drink a lot of water and spit a lot. Seems to be it for me, even though I fuckin' hate water!

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

A lot of death metal singers have had to have surgery on their throat from all that growling........... I know I can't sing so I play bass.

morbid_lady's Avatar Senior Member

use ur diaphram (the one in ur stomach, not the contraceptive)

if that doesnt work try some fisherman's friends, the original ones, they tast like shit, but u get used to it, and they work really well.

Thanks everyone! All this is really important - I've just been informed we're doing another show in a couple weeks, and one a week after that. We're gonna have a website set up soon, once I manage to get some semi-decent pictures of the lot of us. Thanks for your advice!

Gargling with hot water also helps, although thats not really as effective.

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

Try to sing a bit softer. Don't blow your voice out. Get really close to the mic. I personally think it is a bit sexier to see a singer than can sort of whisper a bit as well as scream. Try turning the volume down on your inner metal voice.... Try to go soft then loud. You will be a better performer. Don't rehearse your voice too much the day before or the day of the show. Take it easy.

My favorite singers are the ones that whisper too. People like that, trust me! It has more impact

+ Reply to Thread