+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Would you kill a loved one . . .

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Would you kill a loved one . . .

Would you kill a loved one or assist them in killing themselves if they asked you to?

Default Re: Would you kill a loved one . . .

That depends on why.

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

I would. I know there are much better places then this world. I wish someone would have helped me in that same way.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

If they were terminal and suffering, it would be a possibility, but there would have to be pretty much no hope left otherwise. If theye were just really unhappy, no way. I'd help them find a better path.

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

only loved one i got is the fiencee and no 'cuz i couldn't live without her.

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Camby Savelle
    I know there are much better places then this world.
    how do you know for sure?

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

If I love someone enough to not see them suffer, then yes I would. Other than that, life is what you make of it. I may feel like I'm from a different planet not just a different state. But I make do with what I have. Sometimes shit happens.

I could look the other way while someone killed themselves if I knew that's what they really wanted, but I couldn't bring myself to assist except in the case of war. But I'm not a soldier, so I seriously doubt I'll ever be in a situation where I'd kill someone in order to prevent them from being tortured by the enemy.

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

Quote Originally Posted by KilLAtomiK
    how do you know for sure?
    you don't always have to have proof. sometimes believing is enough.

Depends on circumstance. I could only imagine what it would be like if my sister survived her car accident. She would probably be terminal and suffering. So, I guess I'm thankful she died and didn't have to suffer the torment in this world. I think that it would be better for some people to die in those circumstances.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    Would you kill a loved one or assist them in killing themselves if they asked you to?

No, Not under any circumstances. I believe life is a natural process to be cherished.
    There is no problem in life that cannot be overcome without resorting to suicide. If they were in pain, I would make sure the pain was alleviated and they were allowed to die naturally. I've seen suicide firsthand, it is unnecessary and wrong unless death is absolutely imminent.

OEC

Forestghost's Avatar Knowlege is power!

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    No, Not under any circumstances. I believe life is a natural process to be cherished.
    There is no problem in life that cannot be overcome without resorting to suicide. If they were in pain, I would make sure the pain was alleviated and they were allowed to die naturally. I've seen suicide firsthand, it is unnecessary and wrong unless death is absolutely imminent.

OEC
    Yes, Life is a natural process....and sometimes we humans screw with that in the wrong way. By this I mean forcing people to live when they are in mental and physical pain by using machines and drugs. Hey, if they want to be kept alive, that's their choice, but if they want to go when it really is their time...don't prolong it....pull the plug...or even better, don't plug them in in the first place. I wouldn't actually kill them if they weren't going to die naturally, but if they need machines to survive...I would definately pull the plug!
    (not that it wouldn't be hard....emotions take over and make things like that 100000000 times harder)

Quote Originally Posted by Forestghost
    Yes, Life is a natural process....and sometimes we humans screw with that in the wrong way. By this I mean forcing people to live when they are in mental and physical pain by using machines and drugs. Hey, if they want to be kept alive, that's their choice, but if they want to go when it really is their time...don't prolong it....pull the plug...or even better, don't plug them in in the first place. I wouldn't actually kill them if they weren't going to die naturally, but if they need machines to survive...I would definately pull the plug!
    (not that it wouldn't be hard....emotions take over and make things like that 100000000 times harder)
    True. My grandma passed a way about a month ago. She died in her home and around her loved ones. Her heart actually kept beating due to the pacemaker. In the future, I intend to make sure all my relatives who want to, die naturally. Her death was a great transition except the battery that wouldn't die.

OEC

purplepixie's Avatar Senior Member

No one would ask for help in suicide over depression would they?
    Mercy killing over illness maybe depends on who and chances of survival

[QUOTE=purplepixie]No one would ask for help in suicide over depression would they?

Sure they would. It happens every day.

OEC

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

OH god Amelia, heavy one here... No, I couldn't do it... Not someone I loved. No...

ravenofdeath's Avatar Lord of Death

Im compelled to say yes i would but only if they would help me at the same time because if my g/f wanted to die i couldnt live withoput her. So i would ask her to assist in killing me. Then i would help kill her, so in conclusion, only if she helped me.

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

Yes. Once I was convinced that there was no hope and that drugs and other remedies would only be prolonging the pain and (mental) suffering. For me it would be the same as putting a beloved pet out of its misery, although on a slightly higher level.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Sure...hell their are a few I'd help along before they even knew that's what they wanted.

kellie's Avatar Senior Member

There was a huge debate here in Atlanta 2 years ago about this. A woman whose son and husband were dieing of huntingtons disease, killed them both with a shotgun while they lay in bed in a nursing home. Now, I think she was doing them a huge favor. I dont remember what the courts decided on though.
    So, yes. I think you should help a loved one not suffer anymore if all other methods to improve their quality of life have failed.

Forestghost's Avatar Knowlege is power!

Quote Originally Posted by kellie
    There was a huge debate here in Atlanta 2 years ago about this. A woman whose son and husband were dieing of huntingtons disease, killed them both with a shotgun while they lay in bed in a nursing home. Now, I think she was doing them a huge favor. I dont remember what the courts decided on though.
    So, yes. I think you should help a loved one not suffer anymore if all other methods to improve their quality of life have failed.
    Well, there are probably better ways to do it that with a shotgun though....I mean, she could have snuck in a bunch of sleeping pills, or something like that. A shotgun IS pretty guaranteed and instant, but it is a pretty brutal way to do it. I mean, comeon...could you take a SHOTGUN to someone you loved? Or would you rather just help them drift into that eternal sleep? *shrugs*

HempKnight's Avatar Large Member

Well... coming from Kevorkian country, I would have to say yes, only in the most desperate of circumstances after all medical hope was exhausted.

After watching my mother go through years of pain and suffering before her death from a debilatating disease, if there had been no hope of quality of life and it was her wish, I would have respected her desire to end her pain... not that I would agree with it nor would she ever had asked... choosing a humane and painless way through drugs or other means (hemlock or such).

I have a DNR (do not resuscitate) order in my medical records, I do not want to be kept alive by an extraordinary means... I have been clinically dead twice before and I figure a third time that it's meant to be the final one.

Quote Originally Posted by Forestghost
    Well, there are probably better ways to do it that with a shotgun though....I mean, she could have snuck in a bunch of sleeping pills, or something like that. A shotgun IS pretty guaranteed and instant, but it is a pretty brutal way to do it. I mean, comeon...could you take a SHOTGUN to someone you loved? Or would you rather just help them drift into that eternal sleep? *shrugs*

Well, the only way you can overdose and die is from a pill that is going to stop your heart or stop your breathing. There are not to many pills that will actually do that. And theres still a chance that person will survive. A shotgun is a sure fire way to get the job done right. So yea, I would opt for a gun myself. The lady was terribly upset about the whole ordeal of course, Im sure she will think about that decision for the rest of her life. She is still in therapy, or so I hear.

Pzychotic's Avatar Dark Entity

No

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by kellie
    Well, the only way you can overdose and die is from a pill that is going to stop your heart or stop your breathing. There are not to many pills that will actually do that. And theres still a chance that person will survive. A shotgun is a sure fire way to get the job done right. So yea, I would opt for a gun myself. The lady was terribly upset about the whole ordeal of course, Im sure she will think about that decision for the rest of her life. She is still in therapy, or so I hear.
    Ever seen a crime scene after a shotgun suicide or killing? Not a fun thing to clean up...be easier to take a bunch of pills and alchohol.

CeruleanFire's Avatar Senior Member

difficult question to answer, but then again, if you have cared for someone suffering from a terminal illness, you would really have to think it through, if you cant keep them comfortable with enormous amounts of pain medicine, and they are in agony...what do you do? I dont condone assisted killing in the way they speak of, but if someone is suffering, and they need pain medication, such as morphine, can someone administer deadly doses, just to ease the persons suffering? even if it only means that your slowing their respiratory rate to such a level as their brain stem might cease to function, but otherwise they are in agony...can you do it? can you do it if your the nurse, with a doctors order, and the permission of the patient and the family of the afflicted one? Ive seen nurses who can do both, and neither. Its a tough question, I guess it has to do with a persons beliefs, and their viewpoint. For that reason alone, I will always be a huge supporter of Hospice programs. Talk to people involved in those programs, its invaluable.

Quote Originally Posted by CeruleanFire
    difficult question to answer, but then again, if you have cared for someone suffering from a terminal illness, you would really have to think it through, if you cant keep them comfortable with enormous amounts of pain medicine, and they are in agony...what do you do? I dont condone assisted killing in the way they speak of, but if someone is suffering, and they need pain medication, such as morphine, can someone administer deadly doses, just to ease the persons suffering? even if it only means that your slowing their respiratory rate to such a level as their brain stem might cease to function, but otherwise they are in agony...can you do it? can you do it if your the nurse, with a doctors order, and the permission of the patient and the family of the afflicted one? Ive seen nurses who can do both, and neither. Its a tough question, I guess it has to do with a persons beliefs, and their viewpoint. For that reason alone, I will always be a huge supporter of Hospice programs. Talk to people involved in those programs, its invaluable.
    We had 24 hour hospice nurses for both my grandparents who died recently. They were incredibly professional and dignified at all times. Hospice programs are definitely something to cherish and support. I am eternally grateful to them for making my relatives suffer less both physically and psychologically.

OEC

DharmaLion's Avatar Devil's Advocate

absolutely, without question......and I hope someone does the same for me when I am shitting my pants and eating through a tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Ever seen a crime scene after a shotgun suicide or killing? Not a fun thing to clean up...be easier to take a bunch of pills and alchohol.
    Yes, but I was referring to killing someone else that has huntingtons disease. They cant swallow, much less take a bunch of pills and alcohol. So, the only options this woman had was either shooting, or stabbing to death. Unless she had access to injectable opiates in large quantities, which she did not.

Ive seen a few dead people after they have killed themselves, but never with a gun. I saw one of my patients after he threw himself in front of a truck though.

Scar's Avatar Senior Member

I think there are a lot of situations where I would say yes and a lot where I would say no. It would really depend on the specifics. I think if the reason they had for wanting to die was permanent, and they could not resolve it, then perhaps. But if they just had a problem that could be fixed, well then of course not. But I would not actually kill them with my own 2 hands, maybe I would find them some pills or some other peaceful way to die.

yes no questions asked... thats all I can say...

+ Reply to Thread