+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can someone explain this to me?

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

Default Can someone explain this to me?

NEW YORK - Sixty-six ABC affiliates, covering nearly one-third of the country, ultimately decided not to air the movie “Saving Private Ryan” on Veterans Day due to skittishness over whether the Federal Communications Commission would deem it indecent.

The FCC received complaints about ABC’s broadcast and will review them to decide whether to open an investigation, a spokeswoman said Friday.

There are a total of 225 ABC stations. All 10 stations owned and operated by the network showed the movie, but affiliates in Boston, Atlanta, Dallas, Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Nashville, Honolulu, Phoenix, Orlando, Fla., and Charlotte, N.C., were among those that did not.

Steven Spielberg’s Oscar-winning movie opens with a violent depiction of the D-Day invasion and includes profanity. Thursday’s airing was the third time it had been shown on ABC.

“The overwhelming majority of viewers were comfortable with our decision to run ‘Saving Private Ryan’ and if the FCC wants us to respond to a complaint, we will,” ABC spokeswoman Susan Sewell said.

The stations were made nervous by the FCC’s September decision to fine CBS a record $550,000 for showing a brief flash of Janet Jackson’s breast during the Super Bowl halftime show. The FCC could impose an indecency fine of up to $32,500 on each station that aired “Saving Private Ryan.”

Default Re: Can someone explain this to me?

They should realy back off with all the censorship stuff.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Yeah the FCC has become like a thug beating you up for money...it needs to be stopped cause what they are doing should not be considered legal in ANY WAY.

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

But is it the FCC who is actually applying this pressure, or is it the fear of the company directors that the FCC might see it that way and react?

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

well ever since that howard stern thing everyone has been really afraid of the FCC the FCC just has to ruin everything you know that they are primarily responsible for the corporate takeover of radio in this country as well and its just gotten worse ever since Bush has been in office

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

There used to be a group for that censored movies before they went to the theater. It wasn't until the late 60's in the US when you could cuss, have sex, and show graphic violence in a theater. It's pretty obvious to tell when they did that, look at movies from the 30s to the 60s and then look at movies that came out like in 72 like A Clockwork Orange and The Godfather.

The FCC needs to seriously back off on what is allowed to be shown. I do like the fact that they're there to make sure that some networks don't run a monopoly in a city. But to determine what other people watch is a first amendment violation.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

yes i beleive the FCC is in need of serious reform or they are going to start banning movies soon o they still do that in the UK? But yeah the i think the FCC should only focus on things like communication monopolies especially in radio because two are three corporate radio networks offer pretty much the only radio programming in most areas other than PBS and now of course you have the highly unregulate sattelite radio but only two companies provide that so its becoming a major problem

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Nightingale
    But is it the FCC who is actually applying this pressure, or is it the fear of the company directors that the FCC might see it that way and react?
    Given how their new "standards" are like an open check in their eyes...they will gladly apply the pressure to rake in revenue.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

pretty funny that they think war is too violent and offensive for the american public. maybe the FCC should talk to GW

+ Reply to Thread