+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone here know archery?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Anyone here know archery?

I have a really cool bow and arrow on hand, but I don't even know how to hold one of those any more. I remember the first time I tried to use one I was totally weirded out by how hard it was to pull the string. The person I was dating at the time had a bow with a 60 pound pull, of course, so I think that overkill had something to do with it.

Default Re: Anyone here know archery?

Used to be Very good at it, but forgot almost all the stuff I know about that.

CorporateGoth's Avatar Devout follower of Bob

My wife took archery classes in college, also used to shoot with her dad.... I'll have her get in touch w/ you if you want..

Personally, I prefer using CrossBows, since they are easier, but I also Love the LongBow and Arrow, since those actually take skill to use.*

Mother Superior

The arrow that you purchased I assume has the weight you would need, 60 pounds was weight to much for your average woman, I use 40. Adjust the weight with an Allen wrench to the weight that feels comfortable, even start out a bit on the lighter side until you get used to using your bow,then increase gradually. Now about form on holding the bow, you just stand in the position thats comfortable for you and hold it in the left hand and pull with the hand you usually use, I use my right. Are you going in the wild to do this or target practice? I do it in my parents back yard, they have a lot of acreage.You should make sure you have a wrist guard, just in case you snap yourself accidently. It hurts when you first start, it could happen often. The points you purchase will need to match the bow obviously. You say you already have a bow, so I suppose that isn't an issue.

Mother Superior

What do you mean explain about the pulls? You line up the arrow, use your forefinger and middle finger on the string, while holding the bow in your other hand.. then thumb resting firmly on the bow, and aim and stand your ground and hold tight. You can't not hold it firm. It will just fall out. You need to look up an archery page for technical terms, my dad taught me.

I know all that stuff, but the terms confused Me.

There are tons of ways to grip the arrow and bow, they vary from culture to culture. This is going to sound obvious, but you can find books about it varying from different cultures.

Damniel's Avatar Senior Member

I own a bow but all the arrows are lost, so i stop practising but 2 blocks from my house opned a bar called th king's archer, it's kinda medieval times and they have a special area for archering and they tech you if u want, and it's free. So no i can have my archery sesion with beer.

Damniel's Avatar Senior Member

Oh and once you know the trick it's not that hard to pull and shoot, but a lot of pracitce needed.

corachaos's Avatar Dorky Girl

I did that for a while as a child. My husband actually has a couple of bows. Come to denver!!!

Drakken's Avatar Self Proclaimed Deity

I use my bow up at my cottage. It's only a 45 pound draw. It's old and I haven't had it tightened or serviced ever. It's become very slack. I am very much an amateur though. I can shoot well but know very little. Just something I do for fun. I do axe/knife throwing aswell. I like the knives alot better ^.^

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

The only thing I hate about archery is when you lose your forearm brace. Those bowstrings fucking hurt. I used to do it in boy scouts. But I don't have the money for the equipment.

Drakken's Avatar Self Proclaimed Deity

I hate the arm guard. It's so uncomfortable.
    I've always done without.

skully's Avatar Senior Member
    northern jersey(my dad has been a bridge and tunnel rat my whole life and i am following in his footsteps)

the only thing i remember from boyscouts was the arrow should be on the side of your arm (so if you hold the bow with your left hand and draw the arrow with your right the arrow will be on the left side of the bow)
    and of course (as with most shooting things) you breath in and pause at the top of your breath shoot then breath out...the intake of oxygen will help you see better and relax you a bit tokeep from shaking and the pause will keep you still while shooting.

DharmaLion's Avatar Devil's Advocate

The pointy part faces OUT.

i like mfantasy art with archers in it!!

katzen's Avatar Junior Member

i used to be awesome with a bow... could probably still do it if i tried. it's not that hard. now i'm better with a gun.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

im good with a long bow but i prefer the crossbow almost as fast but much more accurate and with better range

I took a class in it years ago and found that I liked the idea of archery much better than archery itself.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

I use to have a toy archery set as a kid with the lil arrows that stick to stuff...in a little over a week I popped off the suction cups and figured out how to put sharp rocks at the tips...needless to say that ended my archery career. Always liked it as a kid but money and social class at the time just didn't really allow for it.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    I use to have a toy archery set as a kid with the lil arrows that stick to stuff...in a little over a week I popped off the suction cups and figured out how to put sharp rocks at the tips...needless to say that ended my archery career. Always liked it as a kid but money and social class at the time just didn't really allow for it.

Sounds like you understood exactly how your archery career should go

23*'s Avatar Stranger than fiction
    Ireland With the Leprechauns and the little people.

I did 2 classes last year.
    I made a very bad impression from the start, see, I was really really stoned and it took me about 3/4 of an hour just to get the arm guard on.
    All the while, the coach was telling me
    " its easy, its easy, just loop it around like this..."
    and I was like
    "dude...I like leather... is this real leather?"
    and on and on and on it kept going.
    That was the extent of my education.

ive been an archer sence i was 4. on and off its hard to find a place to shoot.

+ Reply to Thread