+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do you avoid drinking and driving?

Default How do you avoid drinking and driving?

You don't want to kill anyone or kill yourself driving around under the influence, but some places it is hard to get around on foot. How do you avoid drinking and driving? Make your friends drive? Drink only at home or when you are spending the night? Chaffeur? Limo rental? Don't drink?

Raven's Avatar Junior Member

Default Re: How do you avoid drinking and driving?

.. How's this; (Forgive me, i'm a professional Cynic and rampant lurker).. Don't drink. And if you are, Don't drive. Get a friend to be the sober one.. and be either the first, or last to leave. Not when everyone else is because it's a giant mess.. but what I said earlier sums it up. Don't drink, or don't drive.

I lost my best friend to a drunk driving accident. I'm not very.. forgiving on the subject.

CorporateGoth's Avatar Devout follower of Bob

However you can!!! Driving Drunk is not cool by any standard! I absolutely will not allow anyone to drive home from ny house if I do not think they are sober. everyone has a couch or a empty patch of floor to sleep (or pass out)on. If you are going out, a DD is a must. If you can't do that, call a cab, a sober freind who didnt go out w/you, whatever. All my freinds know that I will drive for an hour to pick their drunk ass up to keep them off the road, and I've called in that favor a few times myself.
    I remember back in college throwing a pretty nasty party in my dorm room one night. I remember finishing a bottle of Jager with about 3 freinds, and mowing down SEVERAL bong hits. Unfortuanately, the next thing I remember is waking up at my Mom's house over an hour away with my car in the driveway. That scared me to death and Ive never allowed myself to get into that situation again.

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

we all have to make sacrafices, if you don't theres always consiquences. they do catch up to you. I've seen alot of my friends catch DUI's or get locked up for stuff they did while drunk.

TheWalkingGlitch's Avatar Si vis pacem, para bellum

Well, I don't own a car at this point, so it's fairly easy not to drive drunk. Though back when I did, I drove a pickup, so it was easy enough to crash out in the back if I had nowhere else to sleep it off.

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

I'm fortunate in that I have a wide variety of places I can go to within easy reach by foot. Because of my job I don't drink when I have to work the next day anyway - not even a small one. When I wish to go somewhere - such as to a Lodge in another city - I arrange to go with other people and we take it in turns to drive. The driver doesn't touch a drop of alcohol. I had this in my army time too, a thing called Sharkwatch, which is a combined driver and person who watches out for the others in case anything goes wrong (security gaurd, you could almost say). I find the method works very well indeed.

When I was younger I used to drive to cities many kilometres away - such as Magdeburg or Berlin - and then sleep overnight in the car (a Mercedes has that much room, fortunately) and drive back the following afternoon.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I avoid drinking and driving by taking into consideration the fact that it is easier to get away with murder than drinking and driving

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

I live across the street from a bar, so if I want to get drunk, I just take a walk across the street. Getting back gets kinda annoying when you really have to piss.

My boyfriend usually drinks and drives, but only when he knows he's not completely trashed. He always brings someone with him in case he starts doing a bad job, so he can pull over and let them drive. He's responsible about it, if he knows he can't drive, he calls a taxi or has a sober friend drive.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

yeah, if the risk of going to jail, losing your license, paying large fines, wrecking your car, killing yourself, or killing other people seems like a chance your willining to take in order to consume alchohol... you might want to ask yourself if you have a drinking problem.

that one is easy, i don't drink. smoking is so much better.

CarnalxKiss's Avatar Carnal Love Goddess

I dont drink much either...i like my herb..its my choice when i want to relax or create...I am not addicted and i smoke maybe 2 or 3 times a month but it is what i enjoy...you dont often here of many pot head accidents...we may drive slower...but, we get there alive all the same....

Pzychotic's Avatar Dark Entity

Simple don't do it...

i avoid it pretty easily by having my license suspended!

DharmaLion's Avatar Devil's Advocate

Live in a city.

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

Taking cabs is so great!! You can drink and do anything you want, and you don't have to drive anyone home and also, if you arrive with some people, you don't have to wait until they are ready to leave, you can just grab a cab when you feel like leaving.

Or, the best advantage to cabs, is when you are on a date with some horrible millionaire, you can just hail a cab and leave very quickly...

I could never go back to driving. Subways are great too, really fast. No car insurance...

Or, you could take codeine pills. Which I am sure you are not supposed to drive on either...

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

NYC transport rules. Any burg that actually cares about stopping drunk driving just needs to put in good access to decent public transportation that is still running when the bars close.

skully's Avatar Senior Member
    northern jersey(my dad has been a bridge and tunnel rat my whole life and i am following in his footsteps)

i get to the party early have a bunch of drinks early on and then don't leave the party until i am not just sober but actually legally able to drive,

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Have a computer nerd who never leaves his house on stand by as your designated driver.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Yeah... I alternate being the DD.

Some nights I drive all my friends, and I only have 2 drinks or so.
    But other times they drive me, and I can get fucked up.

But since I don't like being hungover as much anymore,
    I tend to be the DD quite often. Which is cool for them...

stay the night

katzen's Avatar Junior Member

simple. i don't have a liscense!

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

call a cab or just walk home or you could sleep it off on the street

Walking home in Los Angeles is very difficult. I almost never drink because I find alcohol exacerbates various health issues I have. It is too difficult to get home if I drink alcohol somewhere enjoyable and it is too sad drinking at home with just my husband and my dog. Besides I don't need a drink to avoid feeling shy around my husband and my dog.

VampBoi's Avatar Senior Member

I've had my one and only DUI. Now I either just stay at home, have my honey drive us out downtown (if I really want to go out), or just walk to the local Pub.

Scott's Avatar Senior Member

I mostly just drink at home.

I live where there is no public transport..
    So if i do go out and i am going to be driving back home
    I limit myself to 3 drinks and make sure there is plenty of time and water between my last drink and getting in the car... I figure that should keep me under the legal limit of .08

In a few months a couple friends of mine are coming to visit.. but one of them does not drink.. so I plan on having him drive me around so i can get plenty drunk wherever i want to go

+ Reply to Thread