+ Reply to Thread

Thread: blackmetal and rock covers

Default blackmetal and rock covers

Do any of you like blackmetal? Do you even have an opinion concerning blackmetal? It's compellingness is moot, as when the substance of which is in question. It's all good in the end, but I am still not sure it's something I particularly like at this point in my life---but then, I do tend to like a bit of everything.

Some of the better bands are:

Nebelwald
    Reign of Erebus
    Darkthrone
    Ildjarn
    Graveworm
    Nazxul

and a few others I probably could name by don't want to stress my brain on.

It's all pretty beautiful when you get right down to it. It's harsh for a reason, and at least darkthrone will always keep it sick. Right now I have graveworm's cover of losing my religion on. The Black Dahlia Murder has a really swell cover of Paint It Black as well.

Perhaps this is more pertinent to ask: what great covers have you seen? blackmetal or not. It's all pretty groovy.

Love, JJ Slash

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

Default Re: blackmetal and rock covers

I like my dying bride, thats death metal, but that is about as close as I come to black metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Camby Savelle
    I like my dying bride, thats death metal, but that is about as close as I come to black metal.
    Yeah, they are pretty rockin' and shit. I liked The Cry of Mankind most out of all of their tracks. Although The Thrash of Naked Limbs will never die for me.

All of Angel and the Dark River is great, though. Sometimes I can't seem to get A Sea to Suffer In off my play list.

Excellent choice.. but I still need to get you some Abigor

Love, JJ Slash

CarnalxKiss's Avatar Carnal Love Goddess

For my fallen Angel- by My Dying Bride is one of my fav songs..and nothing even close to metal..very very dark and slow...yum!.hehee..but one of the great rock covers i love...is White Rabbit- by Collide

Yeah, I was just listening to collide last night, actually. Chasing the Ghost, as well. As for For My Fallen Angel, yeah, it's probably one of my fav's form Gods of the Sun, but it still doesn't quite match some of their other work for me. I've actually got the tshirt, only it's tattered as hell now.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CarnalxKiss
    For my fallen Angel- by My Dying Bride is one of my fav songs..and nothing even close to metal..very very dark and slow...yum!.hehee..but one of the great rock covers i love...is White Rabbit- by Collide
    I'll pay major cash to anyone who finds the 7" "Eddie's Picnic all wet" by AFI.

OEC

Haven't even heard of that. I do have some AFI, but they're kind of a chicky band. I liked their early material very much, though.

Quote Originally Posted by J Jack Slash
    Haven't even heard of that. I do have some AFI, but they're kind of a chicky band. I liked their early material very much, though.

That was done live at the Phoenix Theater in Petaluma, CA back in '93. Davey gave us the mic for Misfits "Children in Heat". Not sure if its even on the 7", but I'd still love to have it. Was a great show

OEC

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

speaking of covers... what the fuck is the deal with the misfits anyways? I don't know how they can even call themselves that. everyone knows danzig made that band, and jerry only reformed it without his permission. and as far as it even being the misfits is a joke too, since jerry is the only original member of the band in it now. everyone says that the best songs that they play live are the original misfits songs IE: the one's they rippied off from glen. fucking lame. I have no respect for them at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    speaking of covers... what the fuck is the deal with the misfits anyways? I don't know how they can even call themselves that. everyone knows danzig made that band, and jerry only reformed it without his permission. and as far as it even being the misfits is a joke too, since jerry is the only original member of the band in it now. everyone says that the best songs that they play live are the original misfits songs IE: the one's they rippied off from glen. fucking lame. I have no respect for them at all.
    yeah, no doubt. I hate the "New Misfits"

OEC

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

Led Zeppelin's original name was the Yardbirds, Jimmy Page had all the rights to the Yardbirds when everyone left, he wasn't even an original member of the band.

But I never really did the Misfits. I like Danzig much better.

I dunno, American Psycho was half decent.. but definitely not the real misfits. Glenn is much better by himself. I did enjoy Samhain a great deal.. but I'm not sure why they didn't stick with Glenn. Are they still around? I remember hearing something about them a little while ago.

I liked Son of Sam a lot. I'm betting it's probably a lot more clean than death rock used to be, but that's something else I don't know a whole lot about.

Love, JJ Slash

CarnalxKiss's Avatar Carnal Love Goddess

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    I'll pay major cash to anyone who finds the 7" "Eddie's Picnic all wet" by AFI.

OEC
    I would keep trying Ebay, I saw a 7' EP of *Bomb The Bay* there not long ago, OEC hun

I would keep trying Ebay, I saw a 7' EP of *Bomb The Bay* there not long ago, OEC hun
    haha was just on ebay looking, actually. It's a lot harder to find than Bomb of the Bay.

OEC

For some reason the Fetus Eaters/Brainchoke split abounds on eBay, but I can't seem to find some less-obscure shit I want there. It's really quite annoying.

morbid_lady's Avatar Senior Member

there are probably some bands i listen to that could be considered black metal. i really dont pay much attention to what the different genres are, and i definately dont judge a band just by what type there considered. if i like a band i like it. i find it too confusing to figure out what type they are.

Quote Originally Posted by morbid_lady
    there are probably some bands i listen to that could be considered black metal. i really dont pay much attention to what the different genres are, and i definately dont judge a band just by what type there considered. if i like a band i like it. i find it too confusing to figure out what type they are.
    Yeah, genres are bullshit.. but they help to work around some of the inconsistencies of modern music. Rock and roll was a revolution, but most things after the fact are as they are. I could seriously go for some new shit.. something like speedcore, which my friend Joe is always telling me to get into. Aparently it's not much different from blackmetal, which makes it hardcore Atreyu - A Vampire Lament

CorporateGoth's Avatar Devout follower of Bob

I know Ill get a bunch of shit 4 this... but I do like Dimmu and Cradle. It may not be True Black or whatever, but its still good shit to me. I also dig Emporer (Anthems!!!) and, when Im in the mood for it, Mayhem. Marduk is hit or miss with me.

morbid_lady's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CorporateGoth
    I know Ill get a bunch of shit 4 this... but I do like Dimmu and Cradle. It may not be True Black or whatever, but its still good shit to me. I also dig Emporer (Anthems!!!) and, when Im in the mood for it, Mayhem. Marduk is hit or miss with me.
    dimmu borgir and cradle of filth is awsome.

morbid angel and decide are really good too.

TheWalkingGlitch's Avatar Si vis pacem, para bellum

I'm also fairly fond of Tristania from time to time. Not my usual listening material by a longshot, but there are those moods when you just feel like something more melodic.

Ichigo's Avatar Senior Member

I like a lot of black metal. I don't listen to it as much as I used to. I used to be obsessed with it. Some of my favorite bm bands are Emperor, Marduk, Finntroll, Moonsorrow, and Darkthrone.

Bleh, I hate COF. The vocals are just so annoying.

Im special, I own the import version of Collide's chasing the ghost

Don't pay shit for bombing the bay, you can buy it from the lables website for 4 dollars brand new.

I hate how people literaly **** AFI fans for anything collectable. The new retrospective picture disc has a printing of 20,000 copies & people are already on Ebay claiming only 1000 copies were ever made & it's sold out...too bad most people won't leave their house & check their local hot topic to know they are lying.

BTW are you looking for the black or pink eddie's picnic?

Don't pay shit for bombing the bay, you can buy it from the lables website for 4 dollars brand new.

I hate how people literaly **** AFI fans for anything collectable. The new retrospective picture disc has a printing of 20,000 copies & people are already on Ebay claiming only 1000 copies were ever made & it's sold out...too bad most people won't leave their house & check their local hot topic to know they are lying.

BTW are you looking for the black or pink eddie's picnic?
    Either one would be cool. Let me know if you see a track listing, tho.

OEC

well I dunno if your aware, but the black (100 copies) is alot rarer then the pink (201 copies)...

tracklisting is as follows (all these songs are diffirent versions then their later apperances)

01. NyQuil
    02. Rizzo in the Box
    03. Who Said You Could Touch me?
    03. I Wanna Mohawk
    04. Love Is a Many Splendored Thing

well I dunno if your aware, but the black (100 copies) is alot rarer then the pink (201 copies)...

tracklisting is as follows (all these songs are diffirent versions then their later apperances)

01. NyQuil
    02. Rizzo in the Box
    03. Who Said You Could Touch me?
    03. I Wanna Mohawk
    04. Love Is a Many Splendored Thing

Wow! Thanks for the info! I'd love to have either copy. That was just recorded off the sound system at the Phoenix. Let me know if u *ever* see it!

OEC

+ Reply to Thread