+ Reply to Thread

Thread: another black mark on the goth scene

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

Default another black mark on the goth scene

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default Re: another black mark on the goth scene

yeah, I saw a show on the history channel about how the goths were invaded by the hunns in 30 BC. those guys never get a break, do they?

yeah terrible isnt it at least they managed to sack the greatest city in the western world

I had to comment. I don't understand what the point of writing the article was. Was it to create more stereotypes or to notify the ones from the original subculture of what they already know? Why did they interview 12 year olds of all people? My boyfriend speculates that it's because they are ignorant, attention-starved teenagers and will make bigger asses of themselves when it comes to the media. I'm sure the author got a kick in the balls with all the hatemail from this article.

TheWalkingGlitch's Avatar Si vis pacem, para bellum

I just had to toss my two cents in too, reproduced below for your viewing pleasure. I preface the following by stating that the only thing I really, truly hate is stupidity. Though I'll have grossly misgauged this board if this actually offends anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkingGlitch
    Attention citizens of cyberland: As you read the above article, please keep in mind that these three children are what we like to call "idiots." Idiots are much like normal people, though they likely skidded through childhood on the graces of bike helmets, and will no doubt remove themselves from the gene pool in a comical fashion later on in life (though preferably before they have the chance to spawn). As their name implies, they trend towards the low end of the IQ scale. Please do not assume that their actions reflect on the gothic community as a whole, and also understand that the things that come out of their mouths only sound like words, and bear no particular relevance to anything whatsoever. Most goths with sufficient neurons to form a synapse well tend to avoid these people in much the same manner as you likely tried to dissociate yourself from the stinky bucktoothed kid with a shirt half a size too small for him and glasses that resembled magnifying lenses in elementary school. In conclusion, these flesh lumps are to human as death metal is to Britney Spears, and thus they can be safely ignored. Thank you for your time, that is all for today. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

hahaha dumb fuck kids,i hate all those little shits, with no real thought of there own,there starting to invade shows and shit,ther was a ton of the fucks at the last cannible corpse show "moshing"in the very back of the place looked more like some gay sex to me Rubbing into each other,and there goddame attutudes ,man what the fucks up withthat.......i could go on and on i hate seeing those damn kids...grow the fuck up godammit.....and to there parents ......be parent, shit....teach them about that big complicated word "character" and how thats what makes you who you are......

god this worls really is going to shit ,,,,,,theres all these kids fuckin each other at 10years old, and these damn"goth" shits, hell im just going to shut up.....

Yeah... you know, somewhere out there is your journal from when you were 12/13. Somewhere out there you have bad poetry from your E.A.Poe phase, and your baggy pants and skinny ties. Somewhere you tried to explain that what you were doing was not just a scene or a passing phase, that you weren't just doing it for attttention. Very rare is thier a 12 year old who can talk about something they are really into and not sound like an idiot.

The goth scene can be pretty silly as far as scenes go, most fun things are pretty silly if you step back and look at them. Sure there is a more mature/serious/intersesting side, but that doesn't invalidate that to these kids it means something else. The kids are ok, even if they aren't into the same scene as the goths of christmas past.

That being said... Shadow Mercy? Misery whispers? Someone found the goth name generator. I'm Beautiful Scars

Quote Originally Posted by Cafe_Post_Mortem
    That being said... Shadow Mercy? Misery whispers? Someone found the goth name generator. I'm Beautiful Scars

My Result= Evil Queen*

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Kids like that are why steralization of idiots is a must.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

I just don't get it. I mean, as a 'journalist' you could make any subculture look stupid by interviewing 12 year olds. I can't think of a single cultural segment that I couldn't find a handful of crappy representitives for. But I've very rarely seen anyone spend the time to interview smart people with some actual cultural depth. The folks that are qualified don't take it all that seriously, it's like being into a certain style of art, certain sorts of theatre, it's not an all consuming cultish life commitment. I do think it's weird that anyone or anything that might be even a little bit influenced by a Gothic theme or style is seen as nothing else, other tham Gothic. It's like once folks see that theme, they can't see anything else at all.

DharmaLion's Avatar Devil's Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    I just don't get it. I mean, as a 'journalist' you could make any subculture look stupid by interviewing 12 year olds. I can't think of a single cultural segment that I couldn't find a handful of crappy representitives for. But I've very rarely seen anyone spend the time to interview smart people with some actual cultural depth. The folks that are qualified don't take it all that seriously, it's like being into a certain style of art, certain sorts of theatre, it's not an all consuming cultish life commitment. I do think it's weird that anyone or anything that might be even a little bit influenced by a Gothic theme or style is seen as nothing else, other tham Gothic. It's like once folks see that theme, they can't see anything else at all.
    /agree

Can't throw stones at the 12 year olds though, they are just desperate to form an identity....the "journalism" is what I find offensive here. As was stated earlier, what exactly was the point of this article?

I hate when journalists do stuff like that. It just makes stuff seem like a joke.**

The article is in the kids section of the paper, I am pretty sure it was written for 12 year olds to read. The purpose of the article is exploring kids culture through kids. It's not great reading to us becuase none of us are 12. It's posted next to the Harry Potter message boards on the webpage.

I'm just sayin.

ohh my goth name is violent sex addict

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    yeah terrible isnt it at least they managed to sack the greatest city in the western world
    They sacked Las Vegas?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Those are just a few idiotic kids. It is silly to ascribe much of anything to an interest in any aesthetic.
    I see it as more as an attempt to shock via soundbite than anything. What to do? Have the courage of your convictions and reject such attributions. It is silly to even take a "scene" that seriously.

OEC

*singing*... why can't they be like we were... perfect in every way... what's the matter with kids... today?...

ever been to norfolk????

lets just say hey might have typed this with six fingers on all three arms

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

just think, when we're drooling in the home they could be in charge

ha ha ha ha ha NOT

and All thier money goes to black lipstick eyeshadow and nail enamel , well thats dedication for you

I really disagree with this showcase of something supposedly "goth", but come on, we're being a little harsh. They are only twelve, and god knows how many of us were complete idiots like them when we were twelve or thirteen. With any luck, they'll grow to see that it's not just about black lipstick and nail varnish. And then, they'll either realize how stupid they were and make an attempt at being educated, or they'll think it's a bit silly, and move away from it.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

yeah, they are going to be CEO's when they grow up. just watch. either that or strung out junkies.

I can't beleve the newbie said good charlotte. I wanna threaten his life.

Drakken's Avatar Self Proclaimed Deity

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    If I were a journalist I'd be interviewing those 12 year olds parents and asking exactly how children that young can even purchase Marilyn Manson cd's. Those kids can't even get into a restricted movie, but they can buy a cd and listen to 'Fuck Frankie'? I really don't believe people that young should be involved in subcultures they aren't old enough to understand the connotations therein. I chalk it up to lack of guidance.

12 Year old-'Bondage? Fetish? what's that?'

bre.star's Avatar Senior Member

lmao those kids are the spitting image of the "goth" kids at my school, reason why i dont associate with them.

Does the UK have age restrictions on music? And really, how old do you have to be to understand the connotations of a subculture?

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

Quote Originally Posted by DharmaLion
    Can't throw stones at the 12 year olds though...

well, you're no fun.

+ Reply to Thread