+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Afi.......

adorn_shadow's Avatar Senior Member

Default Afi.......

Ok I am not into EBm and stuff like that too technoish for me, however to each their own. I have listened to AFI for a long time now, and I certaintly know their sound has evolved from punk rock.
    I mean:
    Answer This .... Good Garage Punk
    Very Proud Of Ya.... Punk Rock
    Shut Your Mouth.... Punk Transitioning into metal punkish
    Black Sails.... Metal Punkish To Halloween Punk
    All Hallows.... Halloween Punk/Scarecore to .....ummmm......
    AOD.... Ummmmmmm Transitioning into ummmmmmm
    Sing The Sorrow.... Ummmmm some one said Glam Goth rock but that bothers me because this is one of my favorite bands of all time. Someone please put my mind to ease as what genre AFI falls into. I know someone is going to say AFI is just AFI but... i need closure on this question. Be creative... Please!
    I love each one of these albums as much as the previous I am particular to black sails all hallows and sing the sorrow, the first two tattooed on me as well as aod. Anyways HELP!

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Afi.......

AFI was originally a hardcore punk band in the East Bay (Berkeley) scene. Davey was/is? starightedge and fairly political. The major influences were bands like Misfits etc. There is nothing glam about Davey Havoc or any member of AFI. I'd call em dark punk or gothic punk (maybe) Neuosis is another band to come of that scene that defies genres.

OEC

Gothic Punk is a good one. I hate the Term Glam anything lol I dont even consider manson glam rock... Ok I admit it I still kinda like manson. AFI is by far my favourite band and i beleive AFI is actually From Ukiah CA I have met all the members of the current line up of AFI each a few times. I would love to see Nick 13 stop touring with Tiger Army for a while and go on tour with AFI for Vocals! Or Tiger Army And AFI do as Split Canadian tour! That would rock!

Quote Originally Posted by adorn_shadow
    Gothic Punk is a good one. I hate the Term Glam anything lol I dont even consider manson glam rock... Ok I admit it I still kinda like manson. AFI is by far my favourite band and i beleive AFI is actually From Ukiah CA I have met all the members of the current line up of AFI each a few times. I would love to see Nick 13 stop touring with Tiger Army for a while and go on tour with AFI for Vocals! Or Tiger Army And AFI do as Split Canadian tour! That would rock!
    Yeah Ukiah up in Mendocino County. Been going at it since high school. Davey is a great guy. I set up a few AFI shows back in the day. That's great you get something out of those guys, they are cool people.

OEC

oh wow thats awesome! I love seeing a tiny band like that get hugely huge like they have! they certainly deserve everything they have gotten.

oh wow thats awesome! I love seeing a tiny band like that get hugely huge like they have! they certainly deserve everything they have gotten.
    Yeah, no doubt. Those guys used to play punk houses, high schools, anywhere really. Green Day used to play b/day parties in the Bay Area for free beer and chicks. Davey is really the one who has the most artistic integrity, however. If you ever had a band of your own, I honestly think he would be willing to help you out to this day. I remember cleaning up after shows with that guy. They deserve all the success in the world. If you're ever in the Bay Area, be sure to check out 924 Gilman (The Gilman) in Berkeley. They all got their starts there. As did Rancid, Offspring and a number of others (I like AFI more, obviously)

http://www.924gilman.org

Great club. A lot of great punk bands have played there. They are always looking for a few more.

OEC

Thats Awesome. I had a band going for quite a while had a video produced, radio play, one song produced and mastered on disc and 4 others recorded not prodsuced or mastered but my band were a bunch of douche bags and just decided to fuck off. my bands name was actually Adorn Shadow. I am currently in toronto So I doubt I would ever be in the bay area but I am definately checking out that website.

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

I have nothing worth offering to this thread. I just wanted to say that I love AFI. their music helped me through some very hard times. If it wasn't for song like Days Of The Phoenix I probably wouldn't be alive.

suicidal_tendencies's Avatar Senior Member

they're awesome. they're all really hot too. anyways, i would say AFI could fall into alot of genres. goth punk, sk8r rock....blah blah blah blah. you get the drift

I love there music I think they would fall under the gothic/punk it really depends on th e cds you have.. if you ever have a chance to go to one of their concerts go they put on a great show!!
    Shadow

Quote Originally Posted by Camby Savelle
    I have nothing worth offering to this thread. I just wanted to say that I love AFI. their music helped me through some very hard times. If it wasn't for song like Days Of The Phoenix I probably wouldn't be alive.
    That was about the Phoenix Theater in Petaluma, same place that they did Eddie's Picnic. It definitely recaptures the spirit of a special time in place. It is thru people like yourself that the spirit lives on. Always remember that.

OEC

We're you the one asking me about Eddie Picnic's All Wet? to look out for one. I saw 2 on ebay in the last cupple days, they are possibly still up for grabs. I made a thread, but it was deleted.

I know what DOTP is about now, but back then I didn't. & even now that I do know, it still has a diffirent meaning to me. That's one of the many things that is awsome about AFI's music. It's always open ended for the listener to find meaning to.

We're you the one asking me about Eddie Picnic's All Wet? to look out for one. I saw 2 on ebay in the last cupple days, they are possibly still up for grabs. I made a thread, but it was deleted.

I know what DOTP is about now, but back then I didn't. & even now that I do know, it still has a diffirent meaning to me. That's one of the many things that is awsome about AFI's music. It's always open ended for the listener to find meaning to.
    It's probably meant to have several meanings, that's just the literal one. "twas me on Eddie's yeah. I just was unwilling to fork over $400 for it on ebay. Thanks tho. I think she put it in the promo section.

OEC

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

I love AFI when they brought out thier first 7" and have all thier stuff they were one of the first bands to send me a 7" to review..the 7"?...Fly In The Ointment. Davey even wrote me a letter they were harcore skate punk back then and believe it or not davey hat short spikey blond hair and wore a baseball cap backwards and looked more like he should be skateboarding then singing dark desires. I will ALways like thier music.

there was another one that I saw later, around 50 I think.

Can't say I blame you. 400 is too much for some vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by CPRB
    I love AFI when they brought out thier first 7" and have all thier stuff they were one of the first bands to send me a 7" to review..the 7"?...Fly In The Ointment. Davey even wrote me a letter they were harcore skate punk back then and believe it or not davey hat short spikey blond hair and wore a baseball cap backwards and looked more like he should be skateboarding then singing dark desires. I will ALways like thier music.
    Yeah, they were still basically HC when I knew em. He had 'hawks and liberty spikes back then.

OEC

there was another one that I saw later, around 50 I think.

Can't say I blame you. 400 is too much for some vinyl.
    I'd pay $50. It is just hard to justify when I could have got the sucker for free. I probably could at least get it on tape when I'm back in Cali. Thanks tho, I'll check it out.

OEC

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

All I know is even though AFI are great nothing of thiers is worth 50'dollars and there is something so un hardcore punk about the need for rare vinyl

Quote Originally Posted by CPRB
    All I know is even though AFI are great nothing of thiers is worth 50'dollars and there is something so un hardcore punk about the need for rare vinyl
    I'd only consider because I was at the show. I'll probably just get it taped next time I'm in Cali, tho.

OEC

I've got quite a colection of AFI's easy to find vynils and the son of sam vynil, I even splurged and bought the book but there is no way I am paying like 450.00 american dor the dork EP. I hate to say it but I'll just download the songs! (I have like 2 copies of every album so sue me.)

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I hate to say it but I'll just download the songs! (I have like 2 copies of every album so sue me.)
    ok. you'll be hearing from my lawyers on behalf of the recording industry.

Oh Darn.
    I am anti/Pro Pirating.
    I am all about Dl a few songs off the internet to hear if the band is anygood and if they are then I have no problem buying their cd however if they suck total ass and only have one good song well I am sorry but I will not waste 20 bux on one song. I wasnt sure about Taking Back Sunday and they turned out to be amazing!

I've got quite a colection of AFI's easy to find vynils and the son of sam vynil, I even splurged and bought the book but there is no way I am paying like 450.00 american dor the dork EP. I hate to say it but I'll just download the songs! (I have like 2 copies of every album so sue me.)
    I think it is kind of silly to see PR as a movement at this point. I doubt I'd pay 450$ even for an ep with memories for me. I think the PR spirit lives on in DIY, sticking to your convictions, and doing what you want without regard for what is PR or anything else.
    There is nothing wrong with buying albums or downloading songs.

OEC

i'm just kidding. fuck the recording industy. it only costs less than a dollar to make a cd. I encourage you to steal from them however you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    i'm just kidding. fuck the recording industy. it only costs less than a dollar to make a cd. I encourage you to steal from them however you can.
    Oh, I know u were

OEC

an old rival of mine for a females affection was obsessed with AFI, so that put me off from them, pretty much forever. (I still love you and I miss you shithead, wherever you are.) however, I stole thier newest cd from some rich guy's boat (if you're a rich guy don't leave your cds in your boat. it's not a good idea to leave the keys in the ignition either.) and gave it to a freind, and he really likes it. I listened to it, and it's pretty good, a little too emo for my taste, but not bad.

an old rival of mine for a females affection was obsessed with AFI, so that put me off from them, pretty much forever. (I still love you and I miss you shithead, wherever you are.) however, I stole thier newest cd from some rich guy's boat (if you're a rich guy don't leave your cds in your boat. it's not a good idea to leave the keys in the ignition either.) and gave it to a freind, and he really likes it. I listened to it, and it's pretty good, a little too emo for my taste, but not bad.
    That's cool. I don't even listen to AFI now to be completely honest. Their old stuff just brings back good memories.

OEC

that's cool. wish I could say the same about anything, but most stuff would just remind me of how much it sucks to be a kid. and love songs from failed relationships. bleh. well naw, LOC reminds me of doing drugs...hm, shit, I dunno about that one. aw, my life sucked. hahaha

Yeah I can go through my AFI albums and recall where I was in my life when each album came out. Its kindof a fun at some points hazy but fun time line.

i'm getting a wierd feeling of deja vu, i should go to sleep now, for my sanity.

CorporateGoth's Avatar Devout follower of Bob

Okay, I know... you actually WANT a classification. I guess that _____ punk should cover it. AFI is not really normally my style of music. I'm much more the metal head type, but my wife discovered these guys a few years ago and while I didnt like em at first, after repeated listenings(mostly against my will) found these guys to be very talented. Still not something Id listen to every day, but these guys can play and their music has actually evolved. They'll never replace Slayer on my playlist, but they've earned a spot on it!

that's cool. wish I could say the same about anything, but most stuff would just remind me of how much it sucks to be a kid. and love songs from failed relationships. bleh. well naw, LOC reminds me of doing drugs...hm, shit, I dunno about that one. aw, my life sucked. hahaha
    I doubt that. You had to have had an interesting life to even gain those insights. In time, you'll look back at it and laugh. Comedy is often tragedy + time.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    I doubt that. You had to have had an interesting life to even gain those insights. In time, you'll look back at it and laugh. Comedy is often tragedy + time.

OEC
    I most definately must agree with that equation comedy=Tragedy+Time I read that and looked back at sad stuff thats happened and managed to giggle, thanks OEC!

I most definately must agree with that equation comedy=Tragedy+Time I read that and looked back at sad stuff thats happened and managed to giggle, thanks OEC!
    That's wonderful. Always keep in mind that you overcame. The events in your life are only important in the sense of what you do with them. I think all of us here chose the road less traveled in some form. This invariably will lead to exposure to the tragedies of some around us. Without darkness, there can be no light. Without falling on your face, you will know not how to pick yourself up. Without adversity, you may never know true happiness.

OEC

Good analogy..... he he i said anal.... wait a sec anywho, i said this somewhere else on this form but it is a great little dittie that is a good pick me up. no matter what tomorrow comes and if it doesnt were all dead! So just deal with shit as it comes at ya I know there isnt anything I cant overcome, and if i just simply cant do it guess what tomorrow will still come...unless im dead, and in that case no need to worry about it! And as to the last part of your post that is a perfect example of how natural balance is absolutely neccesary, like good and evil, light and dark, because without one you will not have the other!

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

not a big fan of theirs dont hate em or anything but i just never realy thought they were that great

I can kind of appreciate that. most folks either love it or dont really listen to it. Its like me aith at the drive in, great band just dont much like em.

I love AFI very much I'd say goth/punk but Davey doesn't want to be associated with either one for some reason.they prefer to call themselves "beyond genre" which I suppose could be a new genre in and of itself hehehehehe.

They are very nice and I adore them as well. I have had the pleasure of speaking to Davey on the phone and exchanging written communication on occasion as well(which any fan can do by writing to them snail mail or on their official boards through the ASK AFI forum,it isn't that hard or anything). They have been kind to my daughter as well as myself, and in all reality they don't have to hand write letters back to little kids but to my daughters delight Adam did.
    I have an AFI tattoo on my neck and I will love them til the day I die, they are wonderful people and a vast talent...

Oooh new thread Idea!!! Band Tattoos! Thanks Humma!

+ Reply to Thread