+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Strange fears from your childhood.

Default Strange fears from your childhood.

Does anyone else still have strange fears that have stuck with them from their childhood? Or like illogical paranoias?

To this day I'm still afraid of Bloody Mary. I've been afraid of her since I read a story about her in like second grade. My mind knows she's not real and that she's not gonna pop out of the mirror and kill me...but I'm still afraid of mirrors when it's dark.

I also tend to be afraid of blunt objects. I kinda assume they're gonna be used to blugeon me. I don't particularly like the idea of a golf club crushing my skull. If anything I'd want a lead pipe like Streets of Rage. (Which I really don't want either. That's just my preference for blunt objects.)

suicidal_tendencies's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Strange fears from your childhood.

ok, when I was like 8 or 9, my uncle, a known pot head might i add, told me that toys, and stuffed animals came alive at night, like between 2 and 4. and til this day i get freaked out about being awake at that time.

The monster under my bed. I still won't go anywhere near the floor around my bed in the dark, if I can help it... and if I have to, I'll be as quick as I can. Then I'll lie in the middle of my bed, pretending it doesn't know I'm there, even though I know IT'S not there...

That there's someone trying to kill me, standing just outside my room, and that they're about to open the door any second... this mostly springs from nightmares.

Being choked. I am terrified of suffocation. We did a self-defense course in gym last year, and I wouldn't let anyone get near enough to my neck that I could practice how to get out of being strangled. I have to trust people exceedingly well to let them get close to my neck... my sister can't get close.

adorn_shadow's Avatar Senior Member

Drowning, I love water and being in it owever I cant swim and the fact of being submerged in something that I would be completly helpless in would definately frighten the shit out of me! However I have heard that once you get over the initial shock of what is going to happen to you and you let your lungs fill with water the remaining minute or so you have to live are extrely peaceful and relaxing. I don't intend to find out.
    Secondly, baskets full of onions.
    Its a long long story and its kinda creepy!

Quote Originally Posted by adorn_shadow
    so, we have time. lol

Religious Conditioning. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! **

Drowning, I love water and being in it owever I cant swim and the fact of being submerged in something that I would be completly helpless in would definately frighten the shit out of me! However I have heard that once you get over the initial shock of what is going to happen to you and you let your lungs fill with water the remaining minute or so you have to live are extrely peaceful and relaxing. I don't intend to find out.
    I'm afraid of water too. That's cuz I can't swim though...so it's a bit logical.

I'm curious. Why are you afraid of onions?

thats what i said! hey, why are you anyways?

alright alright. here goes

Yes? we're listening....

I can eat onions whole like an apple, on hot dogs, burgers anything. However when they are stacked in those little kitchen tupperware things it creeps me out.
    My mom and dad were deaf, so if they knocked something over they of course wouldnt hear it. If they ever fought they would at least be considerate enough to wait till me and my sister went to bed however they never did realise that when they were yelling at eachoter we would hear them regardless. lol. So like 9/10 times one of them would knock over the onion tupperware stackable box in the kitchen and not realise and would only realize it the next morning. when we all went downstairs for breakfast. Anyways my dad unfortunatly died in that house when I was young and we were all kinda sad and all slept in the same room that night watching tv blah blah blah. anyways me my mom and my sister and my grandmother were upstairs watching tv and we heard a crash downstairs so we nervously went down to see if someone was breaking into our house and found all the onions all over the floor. Now this went on for like a week after we had all gone to bed. Regardless my mom sold the house and we moved to Toronto, ever since not a big fan of those tupperware stackable containers of onions!

ok i just got the chills. seriously.

i'm gonna go make a thread with real life ghost stories.

Yeah it is kind of a creepy story. especially the surrounding circumstances. freaked us right out!

i would've pissed myself. but thats just me

I can eat onions whole like an apple, on hot dogs, burgers anything. However when they are stacked in those little kitchen tupperware things it creeps me out.
    My mom and dad were deaf, so if they knocked something over they of course wouldnt hear it. If they ever fought they would at least be considerate enough to wait till me and my sister went to bed however they never did realise that when they were yelling at eachoter we would hear them regardless. lol. So like 9/10 times one of them would knock over the onion tupperware stackable box in the kitchen and not realise and would only realize it the next morning. when we all went downstairs for breakfast. Anyways my dad unfortunatly died in that house when I was young and we were all kinda sad and all slept in the same room that night watching tv blah blah blah. anyways me my mom and my sister and my grandmother were upstairs watching tv and we heard a crash downstairs so we nervously went down to see if someone was breaking into our house and found all the onions all over the floor. Now this went on for like a week after we had all gone to bed. Regardless my mom sold the house and we moved to Toronto, ever since not a big fan of those tupperware stackable containers of onions!
    Wow that's weird. What's your take on various paranormal phenomonon?

I have total faith in paranormal activity. I've seen daemons in mirrors, and beleive in extraplanar existence. I have total faith in Magicks and the secrets it can reveal.

I have total faith in paranormal activity. I've seen daemons in mirrors, and beleive in extraplanar existence. I have total faith in Magicks and the secrets it can reveal.
    I always find the paranormal interesting to read about. I'm not sure what I beleive though. I think there's a lot of truth in it. I just don't think it works the way movies and TV's make it seem. That seems far fetched to me.

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

two obscure black-and-white-era television clowns, Zig and Zag. i think they're both dead now, or one of them is and the other should be. they were the shills of a local ice-cream concern.

i used to lie awake at nights waiting for the ominous grinding noise of the streetsweeper that i knew Zig and Zag drove. if they caught you out of doors late at night they would sweep you up.

Quote Originally Posted by sheramil
    two obscure black-and-white-era television clowns, Zig and Zag. i think they're both dead now, or one of them is and the other should be. they were the shills of a local ice-cream concern.

i used to lie awake at nights waiting for the ominous grinding noise of the streetsweeper that i knew Zig and Zag drove. if they caught you out of doors late at night they would sweep you up.
    That sounds really scary. Clowns are scary. That would make a cool surreal horror movie sort of thing.

Childs Play...That Still Gets To Me. I havent owned a doll in a long time.

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

Dogs biting me. There are some nasty scary dogs out there in Suburbia, let me tell you! I guess that is not very strange.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MistressJennifer
    Dogs biting me. There are some nasty scary dogs out there in Suburbia, let me tell you! I guess that is not very strange.
    What about cats?

OEC

23*'s Avatar Stranger than fiction
    Ireland With the Leprechauns and the little people.

I am frightened of micro penises.

It has nothing to do with my childhood though.....or at least I hope not.

Father o flannery! dont touch me there!

that does ring a bell

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    What about cats?

OEC

Love cats!!!

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

*purrs*

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by MistressJennifer
    When I was two or three I was attacked by a Chow. This wasn't one of those cute puppy dog Chows mind you, this dog had been participating in illegal dog fights. They had him chained up for a reason. I didn't know that however, and thought of it as a cute little furry animal that I wanted to pet and hug. I thought I was going to die when it was on top of me. If it weren't for someone hearing my screams, I might have just done it too. Luckily, I was rescued and the dog was shot minutes later. Unluckily, I'm branded with a scar on my left cheek to this day. To this day I kind of have a fear of Chows.

Also, for some reason, when I was little I would be afraid of going over and under bridges. I guess I was afraid of them collapsing. Especially, ones over water. I still get kind of nervous.

I am still pretty scared of alligators, crocodiles, and sharks. I recently heard about a 16 year old kid that was ripped in half by two great whites less than 200 yards from shore while surfing with his two friends. His friends watched in shock as he fell off his board and then it was all over. This happened in Australia, but it's just as scary thinking about it.

When I went to Florida for the first time there was a shark attack. The day we left, there was a kid who got attacked by a bull shark and almost took off his leg at the same beach around the same spot we swam at the day before.

When I was 2 or 3 we went to the park to swim at the kiddy pool there. My mom bought me an innertube that had an alligator as the fun kid theme on it. The head that portruded in front of my chest was an alligator head. My mom knew I was scared to death of alligators, but she got it for me all the same.

Anyways, I was running around in the pool enjoying the water when I noticed a shiny object at the bottom of the 2 1/2ft pool. I bent over to see what it was and then somehow I started tipping back in forth. The innertube kept dunking me underwater so fast I couldn't scream.

Out of all the parents that were there, no one bothered to say a word. My mom turned around to ask my sister something and she saw me flailing in the pool. She screamed, "SAVE YOUR SISTER!" and pushed her in the pool. If she hadn't of came when she did, I probably would have drowned.

Quote Originally Posted by SindelChaos
    When I was two or three I was attacked by a Chow. This wasn't one of those cute puppy dog Chows mind you, this dog had been participating in illegal dog fights. They had him chained up for a reason. I didn't know that however, and thought of it as a cute little furry animal that I wanted to pet and hug. I thought I was going to die when it was on top of me. If it weren't for someone hearing my screams, I might have just done it too. Luckily, I was rescued and the dog was shot minutes later. Unluckily, I'm branded with a scar on my left cheek to this day. To this day I kind of have a fear of Chows.

Also, for some reason, when I was little I would be afraid of going over and under bridges. I guess I was afraid of them collapsing. Especially, ones over water. I still get kind of nervous.

I am still pretty scared of alligators, crocodiles, and sharks. I recently heard about a 16 year old kid that was ripped in half by two great whites less than 200 yards from shore while surfing with his two friends. His friends watched in shock as he fell off his board and then it was all over. This happened in Australia, but it's just as scary thinking about it.

When I went to Florida for the first time there was a shark attack. The day we left, there was a kid who got attacked by a bull shark and almost took off his leg at the same beach around the same spot we swam at the day before.

When I was 2 or 3 we went to the park to swim at the kiddy pool there. My mom bought me an innertube that had an alligator as the fun kid theme on it. The head that portruded in front of my chest was an alligator head. My mom knew I was scared to death of alligators, but she got it for me all the same.

Anyways, I was running around in the pool enjoying the water when I noticed a shiny object at the bottom of the 2 1/2ft pool. I bent over to see what it was and then somehow I started tipping back in forth. The innertube kept dunking me underwater so fast I couldn't scream.

Out of all the parents that were there, no one bothered to say a word. My mom turned around to ask my sister something and she saw me flailing in the pool. She screamed, "SAVE YOUR SISTER!" and pushed her in the pool. If she hadn't of came when she did, I probably would have drowned.
    I'm afraid of bridges collapsing too. After the earthquake a decade ago or so I've always been afraid. I kinda get uneasy anytime I drive over a bridge.

HelenaHotpants's Avatar Exception, not the rule

Along with dolls or stuffed animals coming to life, I am deathly afraid of puppets. Not sure how it happened but for as long as I can remember, I see a puppet and I get a panic attack. Clowns too. Just seeing a clown freaks me out.

I have odd personality quirks grown out of my fears. Like I can't sleep unless there is a baseball bat outside of my door just in case something comes alive or comes for me, I can beat it to death. And don't even ask me to look under my bed or go to sleep with the closet door open even a little way. Typical monsters under the bed, monsters in the closet thing. I even KNOW better, that is what gets me. I can spend all night telling myself there is no such thing as a closet monster but if that door is open a crack...can't sleep.

Now a good friend of mine was so freaked out by clowns that when she went to an amusement park and one started following her around, she turned around and freaked out on him. I am talking full on beating with tiny fists of fury. Hey, she had been warning him for a while to stop following her but he didn't listen!

this one was kind of like the monster under the bed one i was so scared of getting out of bed normally that i had stand up in bed and jump out into the halll because i thought that if i got out normally that something would reach out and grab me and pull me under the bed and eat me alive . this all started because a nightmare and in that i saw the hand of the thing and it grab me and puller me under but later in life i beat it by stabbing it with a sharp pull in my dreams then if i had the dream it grabed me i woudl just step on it till it let go then i would laugh at it. most of my fears were like that , something was going to get me either out of the dark or under my bed but i have beat all of them now i just laught them or beat the hell out of them

i just remember one that i had when i was a child i had a fear of this haunted house ride in disney world it always frihgten me so much that i would just sit through the ride with my eyes covered every time or just not go one at all because i was so scared. i still haven't gone on it with out covering my eyes, but i haven't been on that ride since i was a child so i think im going to go it and see what scared me so much just so i don't feel so damn silly anymore.

morbid_lady's Avatar Senior Member

i have a few fears that still haunt me.

the stuffed clowns w/ porcelien faces and the fluffy hair, my grandma loves clowns and used to collect them, she had tons of the type mention and kept them all in one room...the room i had to sleep in when i went there. in the room there was only one small window in the corner and the moon shone through it and would light up only half of all the clowns faces and it looked like they were all staring at me when i was trying to sleep.

trains, theres a set of train tracks at the end of my street, and i'm absolutely terrified of trains, i never knew why until a little while ago when my sister told me that when i was little, a girl who lived down the street used to tell me all the time that the ghost train was gonna come and get me and kill me in my sleep. the whistles still wake me up in the middle of the night.

being in a forest at twlight (the time between night and day), thats a story i'll have to put up on the 'true ghost stories' thread.

Quote Originally Posted by HelenaHotpants
    Along with dolls or stuffed animals coming to life, I am deathly afraid of puppets. Not sure how it happened but for as long as I can remember, I see a puppet and I get a panic attack. Clowns too. Just seeing a clown freaks me out.

I have odd personality quirks grown out of my fears. Like I can't sleep unless there is a baseball bat outside of my door just in case something comes alive or comes for me, I can beat it to death. And don't even ask me to look under my bed or go to sleep with the closet door open even a little way. Typical monsters under the bed, monsters in the closet thing. I even KNOW better, that is what gets me. I can spend all night telling myself there is no such thing as a closet monster but if that door is open a crack...can't sleep.

Now a good friend of mine was so freaked out by clowns that when she went to an amusement park and one started following her around, she turned around and freaked out on him. I am talking full on beating with tiny fists of fury. Hey, she had been warning him for a while to stop following her but he didn't listen!
    Did you ever see Saw? (Hehehe...seesaw) There was this really creepy scene that played off the monster in the closet idea. It was a really good scene.

CarnalxKiss's Avatar Carnal Love Goddess

Not much truly scared me...but a few movies freaked me out bad...for my age back then...I saw the Exorcist when i was like..10 or so...it freaked me out bad ..there was another movie..with little green creatures...they would make these whispering squealing noises...and carried this woman from her bed...what was that called?..was it *The gates?l*?Damn surely someone is a horror fiend here and will remember..yea and that spider movie was icky too...

BeautifulCorpse's Avatar the bitch down the street

The movie 'IT'.
    got forced to watch it when i was really young.
    saw pennywise the clown kill a bunch of kids... pissed my pants... ...
    ...didnt go to Mcdonalds for a year and a half.

gonesavage's Avatar That Crazy Chinese Woman
    born in canada, grew up in rochester, NY (the sticks)

I watched a horror movie when I was seven, where this girl, lying in bed, gets stabbed with a wicked long knife from under the bed (yeah, through the boxspring, the mattress, through her body, with six inches left to spare) by this monster/psycho. After that I was so scared that someone was going to stab me in my bed from below.

...didnt go to Mcdonalds for a year and a half.
    Not going to McDonalds was probably a good thing. Have you seen SupersizeMe? Scarier than childhood fears. I'm also reading Fast Food Nation too, which doesn't help.

I remember seeing this show on TV. called the 'The Man With The Golden Tooth'. It was a horror TV. serial about some psycho killer.

Not only did I become immediately become suspicious of anyone with gold teeth for several years afterwards....I also brainwashed several of my childhood friends into believing that they were dangerous people too.

HelenaHotpants's Avatar Exception, not the rule

Quote Originally Posted by jynxed hero
    Did you ever see Saw? (Hehehe...seesaw) There was this really creepy scene that played off the monster in the closet idea. It was a really good scene.
    I haven't seen it yet but its on my list. Is it worth full time night price or just a matinee showing? Or should I wait for it to go to the ghetto cheap theater?

+ Reply to Thread