+ Reply to Thread

Thread: UV Responsive Tattoo Ink

adorn_shadow's Avatar Senior Member

Default UV Responsive Tattoo Ink

Hey Hey I have a tattoo on the front of my shoulder that leads into my lower half sleeve. All the orange in all of my tattoos glows like a motherfucker in blacklight and I had UV responsive ink put it my pentacle on the front of my shoulder that glows too. Anyone heard of reprecussions form that type of ink?

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Default Re: UV Responsive Tattoo Ink

Ive been looking for UV reactive ink for my spots, and NO artists thats reputable will touch the stuff. The biggest concern is cancer. I remember them naming a bunch of other problems, Id have to ask again.

Hmm.. dunno, but I got some cool UV reactive make up.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

It does not sound like it's safe...at all. I love the idea though. It's seriously let this develop for a few years to see what health issues would rise from it and to let others be the sacrificial lambs as it where...no sense in jumping the gun on this. It's just really hard to see this as safe given our skins make up...I mean I would assume for it to work the ink needs to somehow absorb and reflect the UV rays in a non normal way...dunno if I would wantto take that gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    It does not sound like it's safe...at all. I love the idea though. It's seriously let this develop for a few years to see what health issues would rise from it and to let others be the sacrificial lambs as it where...no sense in jumping the gun on this. It's just really hard to see this as safe given our skins make up...I mean I would assume for it to work the ink needs to somehow absorb and reflect the UV rays in a non normal way...dunno if I would wantto take that gamble.
    ... I guess i am the sacrificial lamb!...

Reminds Me of Electoos. They are basically glowing tatoos. There was a difference though. I know Electoos are safer, though still dangerous.**

People have allergic reactions to uv tatto ink if they do the section of skin with contact has to be cut off of the body. Along with the fact of several other dangers. You should research things better before you jump into them.

Sceptic_Messiah's Avatar Senior Member

i've read alot about it on this website, i'll try and dig it out but it's ment to be really really really bad for you and people will only do it because no one has made any laws for it or something (cant quite remember) but it hasnt been long term tested and even short term effects can be bad

Damn, the only thing i have noticed is that I seem to have alot mor emuscle twitches in my arm. But thats about it. Hopefully I dont develop some sort of weird cancer.

bre.star's Avatar Senior Member

hrmm my ex bf has uv reactive tattoo ink on his arm and so far he's okay...he's had it for almost 2 years now.

I'e had mine for about 6 months and its alright.

There seems to be quite a conflict amongst the professionals I've spoken with. Very few have used the new Chameleon ink, but based on their experiences with previous UV inks, they are less than impressed. One reputable tattoo artists' comment was "don't waste your money. That stuff lasts for four or five years, then it fades. God only knows where in your body it goes from there". That being said, I've spoken with a few people in chemistry fields who concur with the Crazy Chameleon website information: apparently in the form it's being delivered in, the ink is completely safe, and has been in use for animal marking for some time now.

One of the concerns I've heard (and it's made me laugh) is that if the temperature outside dips below freezing, the spheres freeze up, break, and you're in trouble. The thing to remember is that because the ink is in your body, that part of your body has to be physically frozen before the spheres break. If it ever comes to that, you've got much bigger things to worry about than some microscopic ink bubbles breaking.

So, where does that leave me? Still on the positive side of the debate. I'm in the process of doing my homework for my next piece. I don't know if I'll have an allergic reaction to it, but regrettably, there's only one way to find out. Although my other tattoos are only "normal" ones (customs, but no UV), I'm fairly confident that my body will be able to handle this. So far, no reactions to regular ink, and my body appears to be able to handle the invasion quite well: so far, I have had NO scabbing or scarring (knock on wood). I'm fully expecting some scabbing from the UV work, since it is a longer process, and my design is entirely in white. All going well, I'm anticipating getting it done late this spring. If I'm still alive to comment on how it went, the ink is safe. If I show up in the obits, you may want to stay away from the UV.

Ta ta,

k.

+ Reply to Thread