+ Reply to Thread

Thread: H. P. Lovercraft

Lucius's Avatar Member

Default H. P. Lovercraft

I just bought a book by him and have been pleased to find that i am enjoying it.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default Re: H. P. Lovercraft

Well that's always a plus. Always liked his work and it's easy to see how influential he was though the trendy nature of his comeback a few years back was annoying...his work was WIDELY cashed in on as a result and damaged the greatness of his work for quite some time. His reworking of ancient gods to essentially reinvent them with the necronomicon (a book that took ages to show was not a real text at all) was quite a coup. Though it's not 100% provable he WROTE the book it's not hard to guess he had to have SOME hand in it given the age he lived in. Many forget that at the time of his writing the U.S. was going through an occult revival of sorts.

His books remain readable and entertaining to this day never losing their fantasy, horror, and atmosphere...if only writers would stop stealing his work and claiming it as their own...he's nearly as ripped off as Tolkien.

Ouroboros's Avatar Senior Member

You can still find a great deal of people who are CONVINCED that the Necronomicon is real. It blows my mind. I'm not what you can call a hardcore Lovecraft fan (barely a fan at all), and I know how and when he came up with the idea.
    I really liked two of Lovecraft's stories ("The Color that Fell from Space" was the scariest and "The Dreamquest for Kaddath" was really trippy. In a good way, trippy) and the whole Outer Pantheon was mind-blowing, but his style is usually a bit slow and tedious for me.

... but what do I know?

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

i love the way he crams as much into each sentence as he can, while leaving it relatively balanced. the expression "purple prose" could have been created just for him:

But his gaze was the next moment called swiftly to earth by the crackling in the valley. It was just that. Only a wooden ripping and crackling, and not an explosion, as so many others in the party vowed. Yet the outcome was the same, for in one feverishly kaleidoscopic instant there burst up from that doomed and accursed farm a gleamingly eruptive cataclysm of unnatural sparks and substance; blurring the glance of the few who saw it, and sending forth to the zenith a bombarding cloudburst of such coloured and fantastic fragments as our universe must needs disown.

- from "The Color Out of Space"

postcoital's Avatar Curiously Strong Altoid

When I was younger, I found a page that had alot of unpublished HP Lovecraft stories, too bad the bookmark couldn't make it through 2 format c:\'s :|
    Maybe anyone still has the link, if not I'm left to google it. Hi.

postcoital's Avatar Curiously Strong Altoid

The page was yellow, btw

I dont remember the books, but I remember liking the stuff from LoveCraft. **

Cthulhu23's Avatar Dark Dreamer

With my SN it is pretty much needless to say that I am a Lovecraft fan. Here is a great link with all of the H.P. Lovecraft works

H.P. Lovecraft

Thanks for that link Cthulhu23, being a Lucio Fulci and horror fan I knew of H.P Lovecraft, but have never read any of his stories before tonight.
    I've just finished reading THE BOOK, I loved it like I love Fulci's The Beyond.

Thurbane316's Avatar Throbbing Member

I've only read "At the Mountains of Madness", but been meaning to read more. I've read a lot of other authors who borrow from the Cthulhu mythos, mainly Brian Lumley...

My favorite has to be The thing on the doorstep

Loved it...

drewblood's Avatar Senior Member

he rocks. thnx for reminding me, i'm going to dig up some old books i have from him. i got a favorite that i cant remember...i'll share when i find it.

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

I like a lot of his work, but I love "The Rats in the Wall"

Interested in where the Necronomicon sold in stores really came from? Read this .

Thurbane316's Avatar Throbbing Member

Quote Originally Posted by inox
    Interested in where the Necronomicon sold in stores really came from? Read this .
    Cool, I always wondered after I read it...

+ Reply to Thread