+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Occult

adorn_shadow's Avatar Senior Member

Default Occult

What is your outlook on the occult, how its percived and do u practice?

Personally I have been an actively practicing pagan for about 6 years, soime what dormant for 4 years in the middle though.
    It seems the occult is perceived as something young teens do to piss off their parents then grow out of, or the opccult is only for creepy child molester types which sucks ass, but hopefully that'll change soon, anyways what ar your thoughts on this?

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Occult

The literal meaning of the occult is simply hidden knowledge. I would never limit myself to what is necessarily socially acceptable or "common wisdom". I think any seeker should consider all sources as potential wisdom. Having said that, my experience with occult and related "scenes" has forced me to cut all ties with said and avoid them whenever possible. I do believe the occult has the tendency to attract some unsavory types. I certainly respect you and your convictions regarding paganism, however.

OEC

Hula Hoop Supervisor

It's a bit too broad a subject really. Anything supernatural and spiritual can be thrown into the wide label of the occult. I've had a long interest in everything from ghosts and dead religions to various forms of divination and mythology. I don't really focus on any one area of follow a scene associated with it...It's all quite personal and I believe whatever I choose to. Keeping an all too scientific eye about this subject can limit you given how much is based on faith and tradition...plus it's nice to have some magick in the world.

As far as personal practices...the details I keep to myself but I am active.

23*'s Avatar Stranger than fiction
    Ireland With the Leprechauns and the little people.

Take what you need from whatever source.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I see the occult as an interpretation of a machine that might actually work, as for studying, practicing (do people still do the whole robes, communal cosciousnes thing?) and all that well,

do what you will, and if you dont love it then whats the point?

CorporateGoth's Avatar Devout follower of Bob

Quote Originally Posted by adorn_shadow
    It seems the occult is perceived as something young teens do to piss off their parents then grow out of, or the opccult is only for creepy child molester types
    Unfortunatley, thats because, like anything else, the loons and idiots are the ones that draw attention to themselves, and mainstream America dosen't have anything else to base their opinions on. Believe me, Ive met a lot of idiots who proudly proclaim how "pagan" they are, only to later prove that they are meerly in it for the "shock value" and know little to nothing about what they claim to believe.

As for my experience..... Ive done a bit of reading on many things which would be considered "occult". I'm a bit of an Egyptology buff, my wife is pagan, I love reading about the "supernatural". I was sort of studying LaVey for a while. Interesting, and I actually agree with alot of his writings. I just dislike the circus sideshow that tends to come along with it.

I've been practicing kaos magick for about 7 years now.

az

adorn_shadow's Avatar Senior Member

Is azteroth not one of the 72 deamons of the goetia?

Quote Originally Posted by Azteroth391
    I've been practicing kaos magick for about 7 years now.

az

I have that book 'Prime Chaos', its interesting, highly dubious though!
    I mean its all basically projection. My basic stance on the whole thing is why read all that shit and go to all the bother of the ceremonies when you could just go on a trip.

Goat on Fire's Avatar Senior Member
    Beograd, Srbija (the way its originally spelled)

the forbidden made useful. the opposite of "cult".

Quote Originally Posted by Goat on Fire
    the forbidden made useful. the opposite of "cult".
    Dobar Dan.

There can be cults involved in aspects of the occult tho also.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    Dobar Dan.

There can be cults involved in aspects of the occult tho also.

OEC
    Zdravo.

yes, but I was referring to the root of the term (or at least how my latin teacher explained it).

i forgot, also, like the case was with the "barbarians" and "pagans" (i presume), occultists werent called like that by themselves, but others who considered them to be "occult" (again, a whole lotta guessing), and then merely accepted the name.

Quote Originally Posted by Goat on Fire
    i forgot, also, like the case was with the "barbarians" and "pagans" (i presume), occultists werent called like that by themselves, but others who considered them to be "occult" (again, a whole lotta guessing), and then merely accepted the name.
    That would make sense. I know pagan has a very negative connotation in some languages.

[Latin occultus, secret, past participle of occulere, to cover over. See kel-1 in Indo-European Roots.]

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=occult

[Latin cultus, worship, from past participle of colere, to cultivate. See kwel-1 in Indo-European Roots.]

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=cult

They are opposites in a sense. I think it just loses its meaning due to the expansive definition of "cult" in english. Thanks for the info

OEC

suicidal_tendencies's Avatar Senior Member

im a little bit of everything. i think everyone should leave each other alone and let them do they're own thing. hey if you wanna cut the head off a goat, be my guest.....just dont do it around me. i guess people dont realize that alot of religions are deprived from others. they're just taken from different point of views and different aspects *sry if i spell anything wrong* and are given different names. well, thats my outlook anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by suicidal_tendencies
    im a little bit of everything. i think everyone should leave each other alone and let them do they're own thing. hey if you wanna cut the head off a goat, be my guest.....just dont do it around me. i guess people dont realize that alot of religions are deprived from others. they're just taken from different point of views and different aspects *sry if i spell anything wrong* and are given different names. well, thats my outlook anyways.

I'm very taken by the idea that all religions derive from drug induced 'relevations'.

+ Reply to Thread