+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why do they say that:

Default Why do they say that:

Why do they say that high school and college are the best years of your life?

DharmaLion's Avatar Devil's Advocate

Default Re: Why do they say that:

it is a matter of "if I only knew then..."

What most people of that age fail to realize is that regardless of all the hard stuff about being a teenager, the time you have as a young adult is extremely fleeting. LIFE starts getting in the way after college and you begin to realize that most of the chances you had to be care-free are over. Make no mistake, once you are out of school, the real work begins.

what if you never had those chances either?**

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

I'm an eigth grade drop out. I never got to experince high school or any bit of college. I'm only 20, & I hate getting older. the older I get, the more it seems there is less to live for.

The things you could do when you were younger you can't realy do anymore. things like they would be the greatest experinces through young eyes are just medicore. It's the point that the reality of life sets in when you have given up your "greatest years"

I was in such a rush to live, & my surroundings realy forced me to be that well. It is something I hate, I wish I had some of those years again.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

School is a temporary escape from the real world. My onl;y caveat would be is if you are going to bother going to school, try to get as much out of it as possible. Glossy diplomas will make you none the wiser, but they do make a lot of things easier.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar
    what if you never had those chances either?**
    It's a matter of perspective (as most things are) and even though you are having a hard time identifying those chances now, as time goes on they will become more obvious.

Even though I Only turned 20 Years Old last month, I still feel like most of My life is over. **

Even though I Only turned 20 Years Old last month, I still feel like most of My life is over. **
    And that the perspective I speak of....your life is just getting started, even if it doesnt feel that way.

Quote Originally Posted by DharmaLion
    And that the perspective I speak of....your life is just getting started, even if it doesnt feel that way.
    Well, I once knew a young man who had a heart transplant. He knew he would never see 30 but lived in a way few of us will. I knew a young man who battled leukemia and found a peace of mind few of us will ever know. We can choose to be heroes or we can simply give up on ourselves (and I've seen that too) No problem is too great to overcome. You will have to make your own choices as to how you want your life to be. *Noone* here can help you make that choice.

OEC

Also, the stuff that has been going on lately has contributed greatly to that. **

Also, the stuff that has been going on lately has contributed greatly to that. **
    It is becoming clear to me that you choose to wallow in self-pity. I think to some extent you must enjoy it. Out of respect to the people here who have come back from the abyss (sexual abuse loss of siblings etc) , I join a whole host of others in placing you on ignore. Let it be known to you that this is why people ignore you. When I see no fight, I see no hope. I know from experience none of us can help you. Good Luck.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    It is becoming clear to me that you choose to wallow in self-pity. I think to some extent you must enjoy it. Out of respect to the people here who have come back from the abyss (sexual abuse loss of siblings etc) , I join a whole host of others in placing you on ignore. Let it be known to you that this is why people ignore you. When I see no fight, I see no hope. I know from experience none of us can help you. Good Luck.

OEC
    Thats not true, even though I mention stuff on here alot, since I have nobody in person to talk to, and it may sound like whining, but it is merely a recap of the stuff in some of My days. Also, those people might be smarter and more resourceful, and more courageous at taking chances.

As for Me, I have been trying, Still am, and will continue to try, despite the difficulties of dealing with My family. Also, I have no idea where to begin, since I even tried running away on numerous occasions.

To people's suggestions of running away, finding help,etc.I tried that before, and they had the police bring Me back in each case.

As for your saying I wallow in self-pity, and enjoy this, you are mistaken by far. ( No Offense Meant), but I can understand why you think that. As for giving up, I havent done that, though I have often thought about it. Anyways, back to the main topic of the thread, unless you wish to discuss this further. You are welcome to Private Message Me if you do.

As for the Sexual abuse type stuff, I have been there also, and still am there. **

Anyways, Back to the main topic, or let the thread sink. Either way, if you want to talk about that other stuff, then just private Message Me, so as to not detract from the main topic. **

none of it will over come easy, in a way you are in a trianing phase for what is to come. The things you are experiencing now actually serve the purpose of thickening your skin and providing you with the tools you will need to survive later.

Bottom line is that you are going to need to fight and scrape for EVERYTHING and there is no better time to start doing that than now.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Regarding the topic of high school and college being the best years...

In high school and college, you do not always have to work.
    You often do not have to pay rent.
    You often do not have tons of bills.

So for a lot of people in those years, just go to school, party, have sex, goof off with their friends, etc... So to them, it's a pretty fun experience, when they look back on it.

But for people who are picked on, have a hard time with schoolwork, have no friends, etc,
    those years are not fun. So they do not fit into the typical pattern.

But for most people, those years are a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathKnight
    Regarding the topic of high school and college being the best years...

In high school and college, you do not always have to work.
    You often do not have to pay rent.
    You often do not have tons of bills.

So for a lot of people in those years, just go to school, party, have sex, goof off with their friends, etc... So to them, it's a pretty fun experience, when they look back on it.

But for people who are picked on, have a hard time with schoolwork, have no friends, etc,
    those years are not fun. So they do not fit into the typical pattern.

But for most people, those years are a lot of fun.
    I am curious what it would be like to that fun stuff on a regular basis.
    I asked because people around here keep spouting that phrase over and over, akin to a record on loop.

I did know why , but wanted other people's opinions, as I have yet to be invited to that kind of party, and was wondering about other people's personal experiences. **

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Also, those people might be smarter and more resourceful, and more courageous at taking chances.

You just need to reach into your heart and find that courage. Everything else will follow. Just look at how much you have grown as a person since you first started posting here. You can nurture that courage in yourself, but you won't get to the best years of your life, unless you take steps to improve your situation. People in this thread like DharmaLion and Camby and Death Knight have given you perceptive feedback on your question, but OEC is correct in saying that a lot of Blue Bloods have been to the abyss and bootstrapped their way out of it, so you won't find a lot of sympathy for your own inability to find the courage you need. I doubled up on classes and went to college when I was 16 because I couldn't stay at the high school I had to move to for junior year.

To return to the central topic of the thread. There are many ways I grew as a person in college both intellectually and emotionally and it was certainly more fun than high school. I am more disillusioned now because I am older and wiser, but I think I am also happier than I was then. I don't have everything I thought then that I would have now, but I have a lot of what I want. The coolest thing about years after high school and college is that you really control your own destiny and, if you get things right, the rewards are a lot sweeter and more real and more your own than getting to bone someone popular in a small town.

[QUOTE=AmeliaG]Just look at how much you have grown as a person since you first started posting here.QUOTE]

Brr? **

and your little dog too

[QUOTE=BrightStar]
    Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    Just look at how much you have grown as a person since you first started posting here.QUOTE]

Brr? **
    it's true you are much less irritating than when you first started posting. you still need to learn that the world helps those who help themselves but overall much better conversationalist now.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

It depends on your experience in HighSchool/College, if you enjoy it or not.
    My experience in High School was horrible.
    Outcast, loner, loser, no friends, picked on, beaten up, thrown in trash cans, etc, etc , etc...
    I was the epitome of the Columbine kids. I hated everyone, and wanted to kill them all.
    I was *not* a happy camper in high school. I was not having fun, going to fun parties,
    having sex, goofing off, etc. I was miserable, and wanted it all to be over as soon as possible.

But my experience in college was WAY better.
    Why?
    Because I went to a school FAR, FAR away from where I lived.
    So no one I knew went to school there.
    When I went there, I started over.
    I left my "loner" reputation behind.
    I went there with a positive attitude, so I made friends,
    got drunk, met girls, went to parties, had a lot of fun goofing off, etc...

A lot of the problem with high school, is that people remember you
    as a loser, and keep you in that category, and even if you change,
    they will still not accept you. That's the nice thing about going
    someplace new. Even if it's not for college, etc. You can still leave
    the place you are, and start over someplace new. And people there
    who do not know you, will give you a chance...

People say highschool is the best time of your life because for them it was, and they assume it is for everyone else. Many highschool students have to hold down jobs, pay bills and do all of that other stuff people say you don't have to worry about until you are out on your own. I have seen a lot worse off than I was, so high school didn't seem so bad to me even with the issues I did have. Not to say someone elses problems should trivialize your own, it is just when you know someone else sees the bad side to it kinda helps.

Also, through the lense of nostalgia everything seems better. The more time that passes, the better it seems. They remember the good parts and the bad fades away.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathKnight
    It depends on your experience in HighSchool/College, if you enjoy it or not.
    My experience in High School was horrible.
    Outcast, loner, loser, no friends, picked on, beaten up, thrown in trash cans, etc, etc , etc...
    I was the epitome of the Columbine kids. I hated everyone, and wanted to kill them all.
    I was *not* a happy camper in high school. I was not having fun, going to fun parties,
    having sex, goofing off, etc. I was miserable, and wanted it all to be over as soon as possible.

But my experience in college was WAY better.
    Why?
    Because I went to a school FAR, FAR away from where I lived.
    So no one I knew went to school there.
    When I went there, I started over.
    I left my "loner" reputation behind.
    I went there with a positive attitude, so I made friends,
    got drunk, met girls, went to parties, had a lot of fun goofing off, etc...

A lot of the problem with high school, is that people remember you
    as a loser, and keep you in that category, and even if you change,
    they will still not accept you. That's the nice thing about going
    someplace new. Even if it's not for college, etc. You can still leave
    the place you are, and start over someplace new. And people there
    who do not know you, will give you a chance...

Yup...college was a much better time for me as well. I did run into old High School people I knew though but I totally ignored them and if they ever bothered me I let them know that it was no longer High School very clearly (bloodied a few noses as a result)

But soon even those people changed and the reality of college life and beyond set in...H.S. became a bad memory that quickly died. As long as you go into a new situation not wanting to repeat the past you do tend to come out better for it. I meet some very interesting people in college that really gave me hope in finding my lil niche in the world. It's not an easy road by any menas but it's better than giving up.

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

There was this band way back wehn iwas akid called Talk Talk and they had a song called "Lifes What you Make it" or something like that...go find the song and listen to it.

+ Reply to Thread