+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Elementary Kids Find Cash and Spend It

Default Elementary Kids Find Cash and Spend It

I found this on AIM Today. I found it really odd that this went on. If I was in one of the poorest Dallas communities and found this much money, I'd be keeping my mouth shut and moving away ASAP. What do you think?

Dallas Kids Find Pile of Cash, Spend It

By JAMIE STENGLE

DALLAS (AP) - A convenience store owner in one of Dallas' poorest neighborhoods was amazed when she started seeing children from the elementary school across the street buying candy and chips with $100 bills.

``One boy came in here with a $100 bill and asked for change,'' Charlene Williams said of an incident on Saturday. When she told the boy he needed to be careful with his ``mama's money,'' he told her: ``This ain't my mama's money. This is my money.''

It turned out that a youngster had apparently found tens of thousands of dollars in suspected drug money and was handing it out to others.

Soon, though, some men came looking for the money, spreading fear through the South Dallas neighborhood.

Over the past few days, parents have told police that men had come to their doors, threatening their children and demanding their money back. The elementary school was so rife with rumors and threats of a drive-by shooting that it was locked down for an hour on Wednesday, and about 200 of the 600 children stayed home the next day.

On Thursday night, a man was arrested and accused of abducting and beating a 12-year-old boy who had some of the money. The boy was later returned home.

Before he was jailed on $5 million bail, the suspect, 23-year-old Sylvespa Adams, told KDFW-TV that he never threatened anyone and that the money had been stolen from him. He disputed it was drug money, as police suspect.

``I'm not no kidnapper,'' he said. ``I work.''

The boy's mother told The Dallas Morning News that her son had spent part of the money and given away the rest. She said she assured Adams that she would pay him back in installments.

``I don't know what else to do,'' she told the newspaper, speaking on condition of anonymity. ``These people already know where I stay.''

In another incident, Erie Roy told the newspaper that she was watching television with her 12-year-old son Tuesday when two men stormed through her open front door with two of the boy's friends. She said one of the men kept his hand in his pocket as if he had a gun, and one of the boys was crying.

Roy said one of the men threatened her son by telling him: ``I don't have no problem with killing you. I want my money right now.''

``These are drug dealers. If they come back - I'm afraid,'' she said, sobbing. ``I know they're going to hurt me. What am I supposed to do?''

Roy said that her youngest son was offered money by neighborhood kids Sunday but did not take any.

Lt. Jan Easterling, a police spokeswoman, said Thursday that detectives believe the youngsters may have found anywhere from $30,000 to $100,000.

On Friday, investigators said were still trying to determine who found the money, where and exactly how much. There were no additional suspects, and none of the children had been charged with a crime.

``Definitely people are saying they're afraid,'' Easterling said. ``They're afraid for their kids.''

At the Joseph J. Rhoads Learning Center, teachers became suspicious after seeing one boy passing out money at school Monday. And Williams, the store owner, said she also noticed children with new shoes and coats. ``All you have to do is see the ones with the new stuff on them and you know,'' she said.

Security remained tight at the school Friday, though the number of students absent was down to about 100. ``They feel a little better now that this alleged suspect turned himself in,'' district spokeswoman Sandra Guerrero said.

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

Default Re: Elementary Kids Find Cash and Spend It

god damn whoever found it is a dumb ass for giving money away

bre.star's Avatar Senior Member

ew this reminds me of one day in 3rd grade, i was at my elementary school when i found a $10 bill as i was walking...i picked it up and i brought it to the office. they awarded me with a raffle ticket... i learned the lesson to keep money you find.

i dound 12 dollars in either 2nd or 3d grade i dont remember but they were in the middle of the street in a white envelope they were all wet and i bought a shitload of candy afterschool

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

I found a wallet once when I was a kid, and turned it in, and the guy gave me $100 as a reward.

I found $200 down in the woods in some autumn leaves. It was awesome. I found $10 on the ground in NYC.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Several thousand dollars? Just because I'd be afraid of some bad guys storming into my house with guns looking for it I'd have turned it in to the police station. And where the fuck was mom? Didn't she wonder where her 8 year old got several hundred dollar bills? And people say that TV is the corruption of society...
    K

gezzz i found a dollar... i wish i was that kid... and yes i would have shut the fuck up and went and spent it and had it gone faster then it aws for me to find and put in my pocket/ car....

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

I turned found cash in a number of times when I was younger, and I might even still do it, depending on the location. Like if I found cash on the ground in a deparment store or something. Cash in the street, well, that's probably fair game, unless you can tell who dropped it. I found a purse in Beverly Hills once and had to go through the girls phone book calling numbers till I tracked her down. It had a couple hundred in it, cell phone (dead Battery), the works. I think some of the people I called were weirded out that she kept their numbers and stuff. But it didn't take too many calls to find her. She gave me like $15 and a coffee, so that was cool.

If I was the kid that found the pile of cash above, well, the way I was when I was young, I probably would have hidden it for like a year before even I let my own family knew about it, unless rent was tight, in which case I'd probably hook my Mom up.

what a nice gesture with the purse... id do the same kinda i donno, but thats very nice to know there are people kind as you out there in this cruel world... makes me really start to like this site as is already...

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

Interesting story from Germany anout finding koney, and I don't think that anyone is going to turn the cash in. A woman used here ATM card to withdraw 1000 Euro, but got impatient waiting for it to appear in the slot, so she went into the branch to ask. The video shows another (lucky) person coming up to the ATM just as the money came out ...

'What, the machine has to count the money before it gives it out?' (She might have said.)

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

I found a 20 outside my dorm once............. it became beer money.

Muzz's Avatar Senior Member

Everything I find I keep. I would have used that money to pay for my college classes and books! Damn. I would be a full time student with no problem.

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

I found 5 bucks as I was walking to school one day. As Forrest said "Cash in the street...is fair game" (Sorry Forrest - I didn't feel like typing the whole quote heh heh)

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

when i was going to college in worcester mass, there was one week that my friends and i kept finding cash on this one street, like between 5 and 40 bux a day. ever since wed choose to walk down that street on the way home. we nicknamed it money street.

nyar's Avatar The Crawling Chaos

why can't I find thousands of dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

Quote Originally Posted by nyar
    Because Drug lords don't lose money that often

Quote Originally Posted by nyar
    my dad once found a thousand dollars all rolled up and tied with a rubber band we ate pizza that night

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

Quote Originally Posted by KilLAtomiK
    my dad once found a thousand dollars all rolled up and tied with a rubber band we ate pizza that night

that's cool

+ Reply to Thread