+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dazed and Confused High School Hazing

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Dazed and Confused High School Hazing

Okay, I just watched Dazed and Confused because some (soon to be ex-) friends of mine told me it was like the funniest movie ever. Maybe I am just too young to get it or not from Texas, but it was definitely not the funniest movie ever. The most entertaining thing about it was recognizing various stars in their 70's camoflauge.

But there was this repeating motif of seniors hazing freshman . . . well, kids who were going to be seniors in the fall paddling and otherwise terrorizing kids who were going to be frosh in the fall. What is up with that? Did anyone here go to a high school or junior high where these practices were even rumored to take place, much less open and common?

Here is my movie review: That Jason London is nice-looking. I am going to check what else he has been in. Drinking cheap American beer, however, is much more entertaining than sitting through this flick. And I don't like cheap American beer.

Forrest watched it with me and his movie review was something like: This is like someone tried to make American Grafitti, only they had no taste.

Default Re: Dazed and Confused High School Hazing

Edit: Actually, I think I saw Jason London play the murderer on an episode of CSI now that I think about it. And a lot of the cast in this movie delivered amazing performances so thumbs up on the casting, but it just felt sort of like there ought to have been more. I suppose I'm still thinking about it and googling cast members after watching it, so that says something good about it.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    Okay, I just watched Dazed and Confused because some (soon to be ex-) friends of mine told me it was like the funniest movie ever. Maybe I am just too young to get it or not from Texas, but it was definitely not the funniest movie ever. The most entertaining thing about it was recognizing various stars in their 70's camoflauge.

But there was this repeating motif of seniors hazing freshman . . . well, kids who were going to be seniors in the fall paddling and otherwise terrorizing kids who were going to be frosh in the fall. What is up with that? Did anyone here go to a high school or junior high where these practices were even rumored to take place, much less open and common?

Here is my movie review: That Jason London is nice-looking. I am going to check what else he has been in. Drinking cheap American beer, however, is much more entertaining than sitting through this flick. And I don't like cheap American beer.

Forrest watched it with me and his movie review was something like: This is like someone tried to make American Grafitti, only they had no taste.
    Hazing definitely happened at my high school. I would have been a logical candidate based on the earrings, black attire etc. The Star Athlete of the school had similar tastes in music, however, and took me under his wing. Some other seniors admired my hubris. It was simply impossible to fuck with me without being lectured or beaten by a Senior Class jock. I was also extremely quick and ran track. Twas a great year

Dazed and Confused was alrite. Milla J haha.

OEC

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

the only hazing at my school was only for people who were goin to join a gang and that involved a crime of some sorts or getting "jumped in"

i saw dazed and confused though it was ok nothing great but ok if you got nothing else to do

Hazing is stupid and futile. **

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

we mainly just had hazing at my high school for sports teams. when the senior members of my soccer team tried to get me, i fought back and injured a few of them. what? did they actually expect me not to resist or something!

Dude... I haven't heard of ANY hazing at my school. Yeah, the older kids will joke around, call you "minor niner" sometimes, and it stops there. Anyone who even thought about taking it further would be seriously injured, I'm sure...

nyar's Avatar The Crawling Chaos

supposedly there was hazing in my HS- but it was pretty much gone by the time I got there(88)- a few "dorks" got some shit done to them- but I was lucky enough to avoid that.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Oh yeah we had "initiation" not hazing except with perfume and whatever , at least I dont recall any paddling and oh yeah dazed and confused is sort of accurate , of cours all I was interested in around then was Puff n Stuff and Lidsville

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

Some seniors at my high school had to repeat because they gave a ninth grader a swirlie 3 days before graduation.

morbid_lady's Avatar Senior Member

hazing went on at my skewl too, luckily for me i started dating an older guy and ppl generally left me alone.

every year we have the terry fox run, and its a huge deal at our skewl (everyone gets dressed up in the skewl colours etc). and thats generally where the hazing happens, its in an apple orchard so ppl get apples hucked at them and some ppl fill up water guns with piss and shoot them at the gr. 9.

other skewls in the area go a bit further though, like making kids pushed quarters down the hall or around a toilet seat w/ their noses. My friend got stripped down to his boxers seran-wrapped to a street sign and made to chew his way out while ppl flicked quarters at him. that was at the catholic skewl in the next town over.

Dazed in confused that movie kicked ass!!!!!!

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Dazed and Confused was an attempt to do a "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" for the 70's.
    But it was not as funny, etc.
    It attempted to capture the feel of the era.
    I wasn't in HS in the 70's, but the movie gave me a little bit of a feel for
    what it was like living in that era. It was not a great movie, but a good
    movie for showing what it was like to live during that timeframe.

As far as hazing, we had hazing of the freshmen.

The most common torments was to be put in a trash can,
    or to be duct-taped to a pole... Or just punched hard in the arm.

It was easy to recognise the freshmen, because they look like kids.
    They have not yet hit full puberty, so they look a LOT younger than
    the other high-schoolers.

and your little dog too

Fast Times at Ridgemont High came out before Dazed and Confused. what was the timeline supposed to be on Fast Times?

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Yep. We would tie the guys naked to the back of a pickup truck and drive them around the school parking lot. They didnt do anything to me except smack my ass 9 times. They were gentle with me cause they liked me I guess. Im glad I wasnt a guy!

Hula Hoop Supervisor

I think it depends on the School and the traditions it has along with what clique you're in...mine had a few hazing ritials but they were totally dependant on what group you were in.

Pretty dull really.

Fast TImes at Ridgemont High was about high school life in the 1980's.
    Dazed and Confused was about high school life in the 1970's.

I suppose "American Graffiti" would show high-school life in the 50's.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathKnight
    Fast TImes at Ridgemont High was about high school life in the 1980's.
    Dazed and Confused was about high school life in the 1970's.

I suppose "American Graffiti" would show high-school life in the 50's.

What a difference a decade can make I guess. I just really didn't recognize the types of human interaction in Dazed and Confused at all.

D&C was a pretty accurate look at High School in the 70s. Especially the party scene (who didn't in 70s). Hazing went on in some places, didn't in others, and is pretty much completely gone from schools nowadays. It started (to my knowledge) in about the late 50s early 60s.

I never saw it as a comedy like fast times, more of a day in the life sort of deal. It's a good flick to point to and say this is what partying in the 70s, and 80s (just swap BTO for Metallica, etc, the look was pretty much the same). I've always looked as Fast times as more of a cheech and chong type of flick, more tongue in cheek then anything else.

I really like movies that show a slice of time.

That show how life was for different people, in other times...

It's a cool perspective on what it must have been like.

Quote Originally Posted by ParadiseLost
    D&C was a pretty accurate look at High School in the 70s. Especially the party scene (who didn't in 70s). Hazing went on in some places, didn't in others, and is pretty much completely gone from schools nowadays. It started (to my knowledge) in about the late 50s early 60s.

I never saw it as a comedy like fast times, more of a day in the life sort of deal. It's a good flick to point to and say this is what partying in the 70s, and 80s (just swap BTO for Metallica, etc, the look was pretty much the same). I've always looked as Fast times as more of a cheech and chong type of flick, more tongue in cheek then anything else.
    I think it must be a geographical thing. Fast Times at Ridgemont High I recognized all the sorts of characters in it.

Thats cause Fast time's was made about what was going on then at the time

D&C was made from memory and who really can be bothered to remember high school?

dazed and confused was made from memory fast times wasn't , who really cares about remembering high school?

+ Reply to Thread