+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hollywood Protocol

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

Default Hollywood Protocol

Having once almost gotten sued by a movie star, I am a bit wary of how and what is the appropriate way to approach/talk about famous people, etc.

I guess it is a relative thing, but for instance, do you think it is OK to tell a big shot that you have interest from another bigshot? As long as you specify that it is just "interest" and the bigshot has not committed to the project...????

It seems OK to me, to a point??? But I guess it sort of depends on what mood someone's snooty secretary is in...

And then, if you don't do anything, you won't get anything, so what's the difference, right? The worst that can happen is, you just get a snooty note or e-mail or phone call, and I get that anyway from stupid club people!!! Hah!!!

Have any of you had any dealing with famous or big show biz companies?

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Hollywood Protocol

Quote Originally Posted by MistressJennifer
    Having once almost gotten sued by a movie star, I am a bit wary of how and what is the appropriate way to approach/talk about famous people, etc.

I guess it is a relative thing, but for instance, do you think it is OK to tell a big shot that you have interest from another bigshot? As long as you specify that it is just "interest" and the bigshot has not committed to the project...????
    I wouldn't do that. It would just sound like pretense. It won't make it more likely that the company will pick up the script.

OEC

Bedlamite

Actually....not to disagree....because I agree about not boasting on principal, however being from California, I must say....

There isn't any problem with mentioning it in passing. As I recall there are alot of people full of alot of crap. And in the business its simply a matter of having an appealing line of BS. They will think that its BS, but if they like you, they will buy it. Thats what the whole thing is about.

Sort of like Guilty until proven....Guilty....

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedanima
    Actually....not to disagree....because I agree about not boasting on principal, however being from California, I must say....

There isn't any problem with mentioning it in passing. As I recall there are alot of people full of alot of crap. And in the business its simply a matter of having an appealing line of BS. They will think that its BS, but if they like you, they will buy it. Thats what the whole thing is about.

You know, I tend to agree with you... I mean, every project is more or less bullshit until it is REAL, so everything is sort of up in the air... And just say SOMETHING that will get you in the door, just a name, anything that they might recognize... I mean, what have you got to lose? Nothing. It doesn't cost anything.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

If I was calling some big studio, or producer, and pitching my project, I would say something like this:

"Hey, this is Jennifer XxxxxxX and I was calling to see about setting up a meeting about a project we are starting to put together. We have interest from StarA and StarB, and several other studios are looking into the project. Who should I talk to about getting this project into your production evaluation pipeline?"

See, the thing is, even if stars are into the project, it may or may not be a hit. And the big studios and producers know this. There have been many movies made by big stars, and big directors, that were HUGE flops. So the studios will still want to evaluate the success potential of the project, even if you had 10 stars signed on to it. They will want to have their readers read the script, and then they will decide if they want to buy the script, fund the project, etc...

But in all reality, the best way to get your project considered seriously, is to have those stars, give the script to a big producer or director they know, saying that they think it is good, and that they would like to do the project. Then that director or producer can contact their friends at the large studios, etc, and get the project in the evaluation process. Otherwise it will probably be treated just like any other submission. Which is usually that they will see it, like it, and then give a copy to one of their writers, and have them re-write the story, and then call it their own, and steal it from you. That's why it's much better to keep the project in your hands, and in the hands of people you trust. Otherwise someone will just steal your idea, and run with it. I would not send out your script to a bunch of places. I'd only send it to people who will help you to get it made.

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedanima

hehe maybe I've just been out of Cali for too long.

OEC

You know, I tend to agree with you... I mean, every project is more or less bullshit until it is REAL, so everything is sort of up in the air... And just say SOMETHING that will get you in the door, just a name, anything that they might recognize... I mean, what have you got to lose? Nothing. It doesn't cost anything.
    yeah just drop it casually. I think I am forgetting where we are talking about.

OEC

Hula Hoop Supervisor

It's Hollywood...if you don't boast or name drop no one will listen to you. A script is like a relationship. Many more are interested in it if they know someone else has it so to speak. Like when you are in a relationship and suddenly guys/girls notice you more. Studio's actually buy scripts with NO intention to ever make them just so other studios can't have them. How insane is that?

So it's a good idea if you're talking about a script for others to know their is interest in it...you just have to be a bit coy about it.

For the record...ALL projects are bullshit till they are on the screen. So it's good to play up the BS angle as much as needed...besides it's part of the fun!

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathKnight
    If I was calling some big studio, or producer, and pitching my project, I would say something like this:

"Hey, this is Jennifer XxxxxxX and I was calling to see about setting up a meeting about a project we are starting to put together. We have interest from StarA and StarB, and several other studios are looking into the project. Who should I talk to about getting this project into your production evaluation pipeline?"

See, the thing is, even if stars are into the project, it may or may not be a hit. And the big studios and producers know this. There have been many movies made by big stars, and big directors, that were HUGE flops. So the studios will still want to evaluate the success potential of the project, even if you had 10 stars signed on to it. They will want to have their readers read the script, and then they will decide if they want to buy the script, fund the project, etc...

But in all reality, the best way to get your project considered seriously, is to have those stars, give the script to a big producer or director they know, saying that they think it is good, and that they would like to do the project. Then that director or producer can contact their friends at the large studios, etc, and get the project in the evaluation process. Otherwise it will probably be treated just like any other submission. Which is usually that they will see it, like it, and then give a copy to one of their writers, and have them re-write the story, and then call it their own, and steal it from you. That's why it's much better to keep the project in your hands, and in the hands of people you trust. Otherwise someone will just steal your idea, and run with it. I would not send out your script to a bunch of places. I'd only send it to people who will help you to get it made.
    There are a few flaws here...the major one being the one highlighted.
    It's one of those things that SOUNDS easy to do but studios are not quick to do. Before you can even get a script in their hands you usually want to register it with the WGA (it's a small fee and many require it). It's basicly a cheap way to copywrite your work so that if the above DOES happen you have some ground to stand on. How powerful is it? In the past it has been lethal to a studio or writers who do it since plagerism can get the writer and studio in serious hot water with the WGA...addded to this is the relative difficulty of plagerism. Experts and even amatuers can weed it out of a script and do so regularly. Can all this be bypassed? Yes and no...if you fail to register your script or have the core idea redone by another that is dramaticly diffrent from your version then it's not plagerism. It's a mixture of stupidity and simple irresponsibility.

But one reality is pretty well known...Studios would rather have a writer they can buy a FINISHED script from then spend the time redoing their own...it's actualy cheaper to pay the price of a script THEN bastardize it and do what they need to it. So really if a studio plans to fuck with your script they will do it after they pay you for it.

Their is no formula or set of guidelines why a movie gets greenlit, each studio head has their method and maddness about it. Some focus on the buisness end of it, some the artistic, or in the case of Mirimax some sort of voodoo that manages to make them an insane amount of $$$ quite regularly. It's all really a shot in the dark. Even movies that TANK in the box office can make a KILLING in the home video market. The most well known was Angles in the Outfield, a sappy Disney kids flick that tanked in the box office and scored massive sales in the home video scene that not only covered the cost of the film but those of other films. On the same token the box office bohemoth Forrest Gump made hundreds of millions...but never made a profit due to the fact ALL the money it did make wen to cover the cost of films that tanked that year...so it's really a giant balancing act of what really is a success in terms of money and what is a success in terms of art.

Well I am going to be TOTALLY HOLLYWOOD and agree with all of you!!! How's that for Hollywood Protocol!! I get an A plus!!!!

I guess us little guys just have to do the best we can. I mean, do what you think will work and try to be cool about it... Some people will like you and help you, some won't, some people will be rude, some people will give you a chance, and some people won't. I tend to be one of those "just keep on trying" kind of people...

Show biz is tough, if it were easy, we would all be millionaire stars and not writing stuff on Blue Blood message boards!! We would all be off sailing on our yachts and flying our private planes!!!

I guess I will just keep doing my dance....

Well I am going to be TOTALLY HOLLYWOOD and agree with all of you!!! How's that for Hollywood Protocol!! I get an A plus!!!!

I guess us little guys just have to do the best we can. I mean, do what you think will work and try to be cool about it... Some people will like you and help you, some won't, some people will be rude, some people will give you a chance, and some people won't. I tend to be one of those "just keep on trying" kind of people...

Show biz is tough, if it were easy, we would all be millionaire stars and not writing stuff on Blue Blood message boards!! We would all be off sailing on our yachts and flying our private planes!!!

I can feel the doors starting to open in my world .... I think the whole world is becoming Hollywood

OEC

Oh god, don't worry I won't send it to very many people because it costs a fortune in postage!!!!

Hah! Now I'm really in trouble here!!So now this total bigshot agent for these two HUGE directors wants to know what the budget is!!!!

HA!!! Budget? Huh! I just got some candles at Jack's 99 cent store!!! Budget.????

So I called my friend Jeff and asked him and we just started laughing... I am still laughing. I guess I just won't answer that agent... Not yet.

25 million. That's a good budget, don't you think? Finding Neverland was shot for 25 million. If Johnny can do it, I can do it, damn it!!!!

Forestghost's Avatar Knowlege is power!

Come on now...you wouldn't be writing on these boards if you were a millionaire? I would probably just write more because I would have the resources to sit around in my underwear, writing about what I think. I would never give up the good stuff if I was rich. I would still eat Mcdonalds after getting drunk the night before. I would still spend a friday night drinking beer and eating pepperoni and watching "trailer park boys".....yup...Blue Blood, when I'm rich, I'll still come and visit!

HA! Jennifer, you remind me on a one girl from song.... it's Miss Kitten - Frank Sinatra, download it if you want to

p.s. when you get rich and famous i'll be proud to say that we wrote on same boards...

23*'s Avatar Stranger than fiction
    Ireland With the Leprechauns and the little people.

but who is hollywood?

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    There are a few flaws here...the major one being the one highlighted.
    It's one of those things that SOUNDS easy to do but studios are not quick to do. Before you can even get a script in their hands you usually want to register it with the WGA (it's a small fee and many require it). It's basicly a cheap way to copywrite your work so that if the above DOES happen you have some ground to stand on. How powerful is it? In the past it has been lethal to a studio or writers who do it since plagerism can get the writer and studio in serious hot water with the WGA...addded to this is the relative difficulty of plagerism. Experts and even amatuers can weed it out of a script and do so regularly. Can all this be bypassed? Yes and no...if you fail to register your script or have the core idea redone by another that is dramaticly diffrent from your version then it's not plagerism. It's a mixture of stupidity and simple irresponsibility.

But one reality is pretty well known...Studios would rather have a writer they can buy a FINISHED script from then spend the time redoing their own...it's actualy cheaper to pay the price of a script THEN bastardize it and do what they need to it. So really if a studio plans to fuck with your script they will do it after they pay you for it.

Their is no formula or set of guidelines why a movie gets greenlit, each studio head has their method and maddness about it. Some focus on the buisness end of it, some the artistic, or in the case of Mirimax some sort of voodoo that manages to make them an insane amount of $$$ quite regularly. It's all really a shot in the dark. Even movies that TANK in the box office can make a KILLING in the home video market. The most well known was Angles in the Outfield, a sappy Disney kids flick that tanked in the box office and scored massive sales in the home video scene that not only covered the cost of the film but those of other films. On the same token the box office bohemoth Forrest Gump made hundreds of millions...but never made a profit due to the fact ALL the money it did make wen to cover the cost of films that tanked that year...so it's really a giant balancing act of what really is a success in terms of money and what is a success in terms of art.

Wow! I just registered it online with WGA!!! How cool! Thank you for your help!

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

There's a few millionaire stars who post here

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    There's a few millionaire stars who post here
    OK who!!!? Tell tell tell!!! They must be in disguise...Give us a hint...

Forestghost's Avatar Knowlege is power!

Are any of them Weird Al? I love Weird Al...he's the man!

lol

I know, wishful thinking....

Quote Originally Posted by Forestghost
    Are any of them Weird Al? I love Weird Al...he's the man!

lol

I know, wishful thinking....
    Yoda- ya- ya ya Yoda

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    Yoda- ya- ya ya Yoda

OEC
    Wait, OneEyedCat is really Winona Ryder!!!! How did I know that????

Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    HA! Jennifer, you remind me on a one girl from song.... it's Miss Kitten - Frank Sinatra, download it if you want to

p.s. when you get rich and famous i'll be proud to say that we wrote on same boards...

You are so sweet!!! I have never heard that Frank Sinatra song.. I thought I had heard of his songs! I am a big Frank Sinatra fan...

Wait, OneEyedCat is really Winona Ryder!!!! How did I know that????
    Shoop! Shoop! Shoop! Shoop! ..... That's where it is.

OEC

Shoop! Shoop! Shoop! Shoop! ..... That's where it is.

OEC
    OK OK, I confess I am really CHER!!!!

"If you want to know if he loves you so, it's in his kiss......."

I swear I have had JUST as much plastic surgery as Cher....

Quote Originally Posted by 23*
    but who is hollywood?

Darling, CHER is HOLLYWOOD!!!! Where is my bagel boy toy?

OK OK, I confess I am really CHER!!!!

"If you want to know if he loves you so, it's in his kiss......."

I swear I have had JUST as much plastic surgery as Cher....
    Damn. You've had that much surgery? I guess I will eventually. My sister married a Plastic Surgeon What's a bagel boy toy?

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by 23*
    but who is hollywood?
    Their names are at the bottom of the checks

OEC

Damn. You've had that much surgery? I guess I will eventually. My sister married a Plastic Surgeon What's a bagel boy toy?

OEC
    Well Cher used to date this cute young stud who made bagels.. Rob Camillari, something like that. He looked like a young Stallone. He was a cutie....

Well I probably haven't had QUITE as much plastic surgery as Cher. Oh wait, I AM Cher, I forgot. Winona, you are confusing me!!!

Oh no wait, sorry, you are not Winona, you are John Travolta!! Of course!

Oh no wait, sorry, you are not Winona, you are John Travolta!! Of course!
    hehe Here's the original Zuko from GREASE on Broadway.

He must hate Travolta to this day. He was on TJ Hooker after that

OEC

Well Cher used to date this cute young stud who made bagels.. Rob Camillari, something like that. He looked like a young Stallone. He was a cutie....

Well I probably haven't had QUITE as much plastic surgery as Cher. Oh wait, I AM Cher, I forgot. Winona, you are confusing me!!!
    I can only pick up on 2 procedures u've had. (well 3 including both breasts )

OEC

I can only pick up on 2 procedures u've had. (well 3 including both breasts )

OEC

Winona, get that Marc Jacob's coat out of that shopping bag!!!!

So Winona had TWO nose jobs? You know, in some films I can still sort of see a tiny little bump. But it's a good nose I think. Winona is really beautiful.

LOL damn. You aren't supposed to say that publically.

OEC

Sorry Winona.... You know it is really fitting that a thread called "Hollywood Protocol" ends up being about plastic surgery!!! hah!!! That's LA LA land....

You are so sweet!!! I have never heard that Frank Sinatra song.. I thought I had heard of his songs! I am a big Frank Sinatra fan...
    you'll hate me after hearing this song..... it's not F.S., its Miss Kitten and The Hacker song, wathever..... why do I even bother

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Two replies:

Regarding someone stealing your script, it is indeed not easy to steal the whole thing.
    It's more about them stealing your *concept*.
    If your concept is just "a love story" then there is no concept to steal.
    But if you come up with a really cool and unique concept,
    you need to keep that under wraps.
    I do not know your concept, so I can't say if you should be worried or not.
    But yes, register it with the Writer's Guild...

Regarding the budget, it has a lot to do with how elaborate your movie is.
    You can do a movie for very little money, if it is all set in modern day,
    and if there are no elaborate costumes or visual effects. If it's just a
    drama, or a comedy, you can do it for very little money.
    If it is set in outer space, with aliens, spaceships, special effect, etc,
    then your budget will be much higher.
    It tends to be better to shoot it for the least money as possible.
    One of the big problems in Hollywood, is movies spending
    100+ million on the production, and then only making 25-50 mil
    at the box office. If you spend 100+ mil, you need your movie
    to be a HUGE box-office smash, to be successful. But if you shoot
    a movie for under $25mil, like 5-10mil, you can still make a
    profit, even if it is not a "blockbuster". A perfect example is
    Napoleon Dynamite. It was shot for $400,000, and made
    $45 million. But if they spent 100 million on it, they would
    have lost money.

For a better idea on budgets, look up movies that are similar
    to the one you want to make:

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/records/budgets.html

Two replies:

Regarding someone stealing your script, it is indeed not easy to steal the whole thing.
    It's more about them stealing your *concept*.
    If your concept is just "a love story" then there is no concept to steal.
    But if you come up with a really cool and unique concept,
    you need to keep that under wraps.
    I do not know your concept, so I can't say if you should be worried or not.
    But yes, register it with the Writer's Guild...

Regarding the budget, it has a lot to do with how elaborate your movie is.
    You can do a movie for very little money, if it is all set in modern day,
    and if there are no elaborate costumes or visual effects. If it's just a
    drama, or a comedy, you can do it for very little money.
    If it is set in outer space, with aliens, spaceships, special effect, etc,
    then your budget will be much higher.
    It tends to be better to shoot it for the least money as possible.
    One of the big problems in Hollywood, is movies spending
    100+ million on the production, and then only making 25-50 mil
    at the box office. If you spend 100+ mil, you need your movie
    to be a HUGE box-office smash, to be successful. But if you shoot
    a movie for under $25mil, like 5-10mil, you can still make a
    profit, even if it is not a "blockbuster". A perfect example is
    Napoleon Dynamite. It was shot for $400,000, and made
    $45 million. But if they spent 100 million on it, they would
    have lost money.

For a better idea on budgets, look up movies that are similar
    to the one you want to make:

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/records/budgets.html
    Yes, I registed it yesterday, thank you for the tip!!! And that link is fascinating. I had no idea that 6th Sense was relatively low budget, you would never know to look at it! That was really a great film!

OH MY GOD!!! Another TOTAL bigshot director's agent e-mailed me personally.... Not the assistant of the agent, the HEAD of the AGENCY...Wow.... I really cant believe this... I am in shock...

+ Reply to Thread