+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do you look forward to calls from phone salesmen and survery takers?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Do you look forward to calls from phone salesmen and survery takers?

I just registered for the National Do Not Call List. You can register online at https://www.donotcall.gov/. Has anyone else here used this service?

I loathe calls from commercial and political and market research people. I'm not even that big a fan of talking to my friends on the phone. Just don't care for the phone. So I definitely do not want to refinance or critique news shows because some stranger on an autodialer gave me a ring.

I was finally prompted to find out how to do the Do Not Call registration when I received a pretty late call from the market research people who were dying to here my opinion of some local news show. They had the most irritating voice ever recorded telling my answering machine about the survey. They were probably hired by a competing local news show.

It is actually surprisingly easy to register for the Do Not Call list and, once registered, you can apparently make things difficult for telemarketers who violate your wishes because https://www.donotcall.gov/ is a government site and has provisions for complaints to be filed against those who continue to ring your phone after a 31 day grace period to allow them to update their lists.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default Re: Do you look forward to calls from phone salesmen and survery takers?

The phone service I have at the moment automaticly blocks them...unfortunately it will also block people I WANT calls from...very odd set up. I tried to register but It was at the peak of registration and never got on...thanks for reminding me though.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

Default Re: Do you look forward to calls from phone salesmen and survery takers?

i like to screw with people who make those calls it can be quite entertaining especially when the people go along with it being a telemarketer must be a really dull monotonous crappy job but since i only have a cell phone i dont get crap like that just really annoying text messages from t-mobile

Forestghost's Avatar Knowlege is power!

Ok, so I must say something from the telemarketer's point of view. Yes, it sucks to get a phone call asking you to buy or donate something. Yes, you want to tell them to fuck right off. BUT...I've worked in 4 different telemarketing offices...and like me, people were only there because unemployment was high and because they were hungry and needed money to eat and pay the rent. No, don't buy anything from them...but at least be kind enough to politely refuse. Is five minutes of your life really that important that you can't be polite to someone forced to work a crappy job?

A lot of the people I worked with were students who needed the money. I can't tell you how hard it is to go home at night and try to write an essay after being told how stupid you are, and being told to fuck right off all night.

Now, as a normal person..yeah, I hate the calls too, and if they ask for my husband, I like to pull the "oh, he's dead" routine!

funkatron's Avatar Dead Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Forestghost
    Ok, so I must say something from the telemarketer's point of view. Yes, it sucks to get a phone call asking you to buy or donate something. Yes, you want to tell them to fuck right off. BUT...I've worked in 4 different telemarketing offices...and like me, people were only there because unemployment was high and because they were hungry and needed money to eat and pay the rent. No, don't buy anything from them...but at least be kind enough to politely refuse. Is five minutes of your life really that important that you can't be polite to someone forced to work a crappy job?
    I almost always try to clearly and politely explain that I'm not interested, and to please put me on their "don't call" list. Like you say, most of them aren't assholes -- they're just trying to find work that pays them a wage they can get by on. Usually they're very nice about it.

I revel in ruining the day of any telemarketer that dare. I've managed to swindel $200.00 in credits from T-Mobil and I'm working on another $100.00 currently. I develope "Telenemies" as I call them and I take it maybe a little too seriously. T-Mobile is on my shit list now but I may shift my attention to Comcast soon for some free channel upgrades. I equally look forward to as much as I dread unprovoked tele-terrorism.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    I just registered for the National Do Not Call List. You can register online at https://www.donotcall.gov/. Has anyone else here used this service?

I loathe calls from commercial and political and market research people. I'm not even that big a fan of talking to my friends on the phone. Just don't care for the phone. So I definitely do not want to refinance or critique news shows because some stranger on an autodialer gave me a ring.

I was finally prompted to find out how to do the Do Not Call registration when I received a pretty late call from the market research people who were dying to here my opinion of some local news show. They had the most irritating voice ever recorded telling my answering machine about the survey. They were probably hired by a competing local news show.

It is actually surprisingly easy to register for the Do Not Call list and, once registered, you can apparently make things difficult for telemarketers who violate your wishes because https://www.donotcall.gov/ is a government site and has provisions for complaints to be filed against those who continue to ring your phone after a 31 day grace period to allow them to update their lists.
    I registered and it seems to be working The fucktards even called my cell previously.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by StantonLaVey
    I take it maybe a little too seriously.
    Ya think?

adorn_shadow's Avatar Senior Member

I hate talking on the phone, after working in tech support for AT&T wireless (now cingular) for 2 years i absolutely loathe the phone. I will not own a cell phone and I hate talking to people on them, except telemarketers! I love them! tey are so scripted. lol My GF is a telemarketer, so i feel bad for brushing them off, the way i used to brush off ATT customers lol. Anyways hooray to telemarketers and telephone survey people they add happiness to my otherwise boring day infornt of my computer.

bre.star's Avatar Senior Member

i hate having to get off my ass to get the phone and find out that it is a telemarketer. i usually put on some crazy accent. my last name is spanish so sometimes i pretend like i dont speak english... usually i just politely say "sorry im not interested, but thank you" because im nice like that... i would hate to be the person on the other line when my mom answers and says "TAKE US OFF YOUR FUCKING LIST!" im going to sign up for that do-not-call thing

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG

Wow! Thanks Amelia, I just did it! I hope it works!!!

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

wow you worked for AT&T too? that's fucking wierd, anyhow that was different we were taking calls not calling people.....I did it to get buy and I can tell you it is one of the worst jobs around. I could go on great lengths about it.....but I won't as for being polit it is hard when you get ones form bell Canada and the SOb is form Pakistan and you can't understand them!!! and the won't hang up....so you just have to. As for the don not call think I believe we have it in Canada....plus I have call display sooo unless I know the number I don't pick up and when i don't want to be bothered I just turn the ringer off and turn the answering machine on.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Just because I pay for the phone doesn't mean I have to answer it
    not my department

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I don't trust that do not call list thing, you gotta kinda wonder what the motiviation is. are they going to set up a service and take the time, man power and resourses to comepile potentially millions of people's names and make sure that telemarketers don't call them, all out of the goodness of thier hearts because they want to spare people some discomfort? I doubt it, unless it's mother teresa that's running it. people don't do that in america. especially the government. so I ask again, what do they get out of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I don't trust that do not call list thing, you gotta kinda wonder what the motiviation is. are they going to set up a service and take the time, man power and resourses to comepile potentially millions of people's names and make sure that telemarketers don't call them, all out of the goodness of thier hearts because they want to spare people some discomfort? I doubt it, unless it's mother teresa that's running it. people don't do that in america. especially the government. so I ask again, what do they get out of it?

I think that our government may not please all of the people all of the time and sure power corrupts and all that, but there are lots of things our government does for us which are good. I think this is one of them. It is a fairly simple database merge/purge operation for a telemarketing call center to perform against their lists of people to sic the autodialer on. They don't really want to call the people who really really really hate to get telemarketing calls. Those people won't buy, so phoning them is a waste of company resources in terms of manpower and dialer time and long distance, and, if they can avoid calling the people who are most worked up about receiving phone solicitations, then they can avoid legislation which could make the way they do business illegal completely.

PrettySkullButAngryWhore's Avatar Member
    I come from the land of the ice and snow.... New Hampshire

ok here it comes from the mouth of someone in market research (aka those fucking survey people). it really doesnt bother me at all when people curse me, hang up or whatever else they can think up. some of my co-workers get pissy if people are rude, but its all part of the job. i took it because the job market is bad enough as it is in chattanooga, without the fact that i have tattoos and wild "unnaturally colored" hair. but at this job it doesn't matter and i can wear what i want. i make more than i would at mcdonalds and its really not so bad. BUT i did learn one thing! the do not call list does stop solicitors (ie: those trying to SELL something) but market research firms (survey people), charitable organizations and those with whom you have a business relationship (such as your phone or cable company) ARE NOT stopped by the "Do Not Call List." Many research firms do have a "Do Not Call List" of their own out of courtesy, but you can't tell one survey person to put you on their list and expect to never get a call from another survey taker since there are numerous firms.

Quote Originally Posted by PrettySkullButAngryWhore
    ok here it comes from the mouth of someone in market research (aka those fucking survey people). it really doesnt bother me at all when people curse me, hang up or whatever else they can think up. some of my co-workers get pissy if people are rude, but its all part of the job. i took it because the job market is bad enough as it is in chattanooga, without the fact that i have tattoos and wild "unnaturally colored" hair. but at this job it doesn't matter and i can wear what i want. i make more than i would at mcdonalds and its really not so bad. BUT i did learn one thing! the do not call list does stop solicitors (ie: those trying to SELL something) but market research firms (survey people), charitable organizations and those with whom you have a business relationship (such as your phone or cable company) ARE NOT stopped by the "Do Not Call List." Many research firms do have a "Do Not Call List" of their own out of courtesy, but you can't tell one survey person to put you on their list and expect to never get a call from another survey taker since there are numerous firms.
    Yeah, I was thinking of this thread and tried being polite and gently requesting I be put on their inhouse do not call list when I got a call from MCI this week. The caller tried to convince me that he wasn't trying to sell me anything, just trying to assure that I was getting the best possible rates on my phone.

I don't even use my land line for almost anything except accepting delivery food.

CarnalxKiss's Avatar Carnal Love Goddess

Not only do i despise being bothered by unwanted phone solicitors...i cant stop them it seems...I had my home service blocked...now , they call my cell phone .......so, in retrospect..i pay for them to use my anytime minutes and solicit me.....pretty shitty eh?

Quote Originally Posted by CarnalxKiss
    Not only do i despise being bothered by unwanted phone solicitors...i cant stop them it seems...I had my home service blocked...now , they call my cell phone .......so, in retrospect..i pay for them to use my anytime minutes and solicit me.....pretty shitty eh?
    It's illegal for them to call cell phones. Do you tell them that it's a cell? It should get them to immediately end the call.

Genesis's Avatar Member

I like to fuck with people that call my home or work...
    Like reading pages of my Grandmother's Irish Catholic bible until the people on the other end hang up.
    I also like to tell them to hang on for a sec and setting the phone down next to the speakers and blare music until they hang up.
    There's also the "Oh, one moment please. I'll go get her for you." Then setting the phone down and checking every couple minutes to tell them that "she" will be right there.

I got a call at 8am this morning from a company and went to report it to the donotcall service to see how it works. Only it has been 30 days and not 31 since I placed the restriction on my phone. Odds they knew I didn't want to receive calls but wanted to slide in under the wire? Pretty high I think.

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

i never get calls that aren't personal,call me lucky ,huh........

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

I hate telemarketers. This carnival of scocial vd anoys me to no end as they call at the most absurd times of the day.

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

I just love calls from them.

Haha. Not. I signed up for the NDNCR about 2 weeks ago.

+ Reply to Thread