+ Reply to Thread

Thread: your nerdiest conversation EVER

Default your nerdiest conversation EVER

I am not in the habit of discussing comic books or graphic novels because I know nothing about them. When I was kid, however, I enjoyed Spider-Man. My knowledge of Spider-Man came in handy the other day while working at the bookstore when a customer approached with his son and asked me, "Okay. Who is scarier? GREEN GOBLIN or HOBGOBLIN?"

My first impulse was to say, "Um, YOU are dude." But then I figured he was actually with a KID, so it wasn't going to be one of those Jay and Silent Bob conversations that was going to go from Spider-Man to weed to dick & fart jokes, then to comparing notes about the merits of living with parents after the age of 30.

I pondered momentarily, then responded with Hobgoblin. His face is mostly expressionless unless he is screaming something menacing at Spider-Man, and his hood and cape are a lot cooler than the Green Goblin's tights.

Later on in the day, something hit me. The answer is actually Green Goblin. As a child, I could see the outfits and the scary bombs and stuff. Looking back as an adult, it is clear that GG is much scarier because he is actually insane and obsessed. Hobgoblin is "in it for the money." A man who is motivated by money alone will give up before he allows himself to get killed; the obsessive will duel it out until someone is dead.

So what is your nerdiest conversation ever?

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Default Re: your nerdiest conversation EVER

Gotta be the age old argument over who is the better Star Trek captain. Right up there with which is better Star Wars or Star Trek. But then I hang out in comic book shops and visit conventions on a regular basis, so you know, I've had dozens of geeky conversations.
    K

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Good point on why the crazy obsessive is scarier, tinstar.

Keiko, everyone knows the answer is the original Star Wars. Hmmm, I feel like we need a dork emoticon...

I have Magic cards under my desk right now.

I stilll play Magic: The Gathering. ...as well as D&D. ...and five million computer games.

My friends and I are pretty funny. If one of us throws something and we miss, we'll say we missed our "reflex save". I'm pretty much a nerd-talker all the time.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

I can agree that the OT of StarWars is bestest. But as far as nerdy conversations go maybe the Ice Cream argument in Klingon....

Thank all the gods above and below that I have blessedly forgotten that gutteral language.
    K

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

I used to hang out a comic shop every day. Me and the other shoprats would get into any nerdy subject out there. From who would win in a cage match, Frieza or Caine? Or the mechanics of AD+D and how they're different from 3 or 3.5.

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

I dunno I am really enjoying the New star trek Series ENTERPRISE. I think the writting is decent and the way the make them sequlas always leaves you hanging and it's on a timline so now in the series your seeing the first active use of transporters instead of shuttles. I use to watch it with my dad when he was still alive it was our favourite show out cam a bowl of chips and we watched togther it wasn't all crazy each epsisode made sense amd it had more of Naval feeling to it and a cruising and desperation thing everything is new. I like the fact the havea more modern Version of Marines for thier boarding parties, giving much of that Nval feel in space.
    Now as for Comics....I never was into them I prefered readin epic novels and when I got into art in a big way I loved getting the od Illustrated novel....one of my most emberarrsing and most difficult memories was on a return drive form Banff after a day of snowboarding and the discussion became all about " your favourite super hero" I struggled trhough but tried to be honest and say I didn't know much...it got into everything!!! costumes, lovers abilites the original or the improved version.....I learned alot but It didn't amke me anymore interested.....also i do not find such things dorky. To alot of people into it it helped them figure out the world around them it gave shape and form to ideas of young boys who might not undertsand things...it gave hope to a skinny scrawny heart that one day everything was going to be ok. I can repsect the devotion to that becasue it's no different then as young teenager my love for Minro Threat or bad Brains singing about making it through the day and one day it was going to be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by hewhoisagod
    I used to hang out a comic shop every day. Me and the other shoprats would get into any nerdy subject out there. From who would win in a cage match, Frieza or Caine? Or the mechanics of AD+D and how they're different from 3 or 3.5.
    I prefer 3.0 as apposed to 3.5. :| That's just me, though. And is it still called AD&D? I thought it was just D&D now. Haven't heard it called that since...before second edition!

Bedlamite

I have been in the middle of several. Such as the argument I was neck deep in when I played in my ex-boyfriend's friends Star Wars game, and they tried to explain to me why it was too nerdy to have a wooky accomplice.

I think the best however, was the WOD nerds having a knock-down-drag-out as to weather Jareth was a Sidhe in Bedlam or what.

+ Reply to Thread