+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Home Search Assistant/SPYWARE HELP!!!

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

Default Home Search Assistant/SPYWARE HELP!!!

Ok so now I have these three BUGS in my computer that WILL NOT GO AWAY! Home Search Assistant, Search Extender and Shopping Wizard. I have run Spy Sweeper and Adaware SE, and I even ran Spy Sweeper TWICE and I cannot get rid of them..

I guess I will have to ask the guy at work to do it.... When you go into MY COMPUTER and click the uninstall buttons, they just jam, they won't uninstall them.

There really should be a law against spyware like this!!!It has hijacked my home page, and I can't get rid of it!! HELP!

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default Re: Home Search Assistant/SPYWARE HELP!!!

Owch...yeah usually you have to go through "add/remove" programs as the first step...then run the assorted spyware detecting and removal programs.

But really you will have to dive deep and cut them off at the registry entries. Best bet is doing a search on each of those and see what is said on how to effectively remove them....works for me everytime. Takes some time though.

Yeah, it sounds like you have some deep-cleaning issues. :| Alot of programs nowadays won't let you delete them through normal means, so you have to manually go through and check what programs are running that should/shouldn't be, check your msconfig and what not. Then reboot and hack away at it before all your processes start up.

It's a long, drawn-out thing. And never very fun. My friend's computer once had 6 versions of spyware on there (Bargain Buddy, anyone?) and it made me pull my hair out. Kept re-installing itself. I just backed up everything they absolutely *had* to have and formatted. It was just too much for me. >_<

Maybe a Re-Format? **

Drakken's Avatar Self Proclaimed Deity

I use Ad-Aware by Lavasoft. A LOT of people swear by Bazooka but It very much sucks. Do a full system scan with Ad-Aware, then if that doesn't work go in and perform some good old kung-fu by manually deleting it from the registry.

(Pretty simple if one knows how.)

I also highly recommend SpyBot...do a Google search for it, as I can't post links yet. Also, MS has a new spyware detection & removal utility...Google for microsoft spyware.

Yes, I use Spybot Search and Destroy too....Mistress Jennifer is right, there should really be a law against it.

By the way Jennifer, try doing a Google on the name of the spyware....you'll likely find a) a utility specifically designed to remove it, b) a pre-existing spyware destroyer that will deal with it or c) step by step instructions on how to remove it manually. Hope this helps !

Yeah, just be sure that you are using a bonafide spyware remover, and not another program that causes its own problems.

A lot of spyware can be avoided by taking a few precautions:

* Only install software that is known to be spyware free, and that you have obtained directly from a trusted source (like the company itself). A lot of stuff people get via peer-to-peer, as well as via screensaver/entertainment freeware. Pretty much any "helper" program that you get for free is going to PWN you somehow.

* Be very careful about clicking through any popups. It's easy to accidentally install annoying stuff like Gator that way. Firefox is currently more secure than IE, but that could change.

* Never open email attachments unless it's from a trusted source who told you in advance that they were sending you that specific thing.

* Run antivirus software for which you get regular Internet updates.

* Use a firewall of some sort, either software based (ZoneAlarm) or something like the NAT firewall built into a LinkSys router, for example.

Just some quick thoughts.

--Inox

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotic Vampire
    Yes, I use Spybot Search and Destroy too....Mistress Jennifer is right, there should really be a law against it.

By the way Jennifer, try doing a Google on the name of the spyware....you'll likely find a) a utility specifically designed to remove it, b) a pre-existing spyware destroyer that will deal with it or c) step by step instructions on how to remove it manually. Hope this helps !

I did the search on Google and they said that AboutBuster would get rid of it, and I did it twice, and it just destroyed my computer!

Actually, this is NOT my computer, thank god! This is the clunker work computer. I am SO glad I don't own a computer. Can you imagine if I had to pay to fix this thing?

I ran Spy Sweeper twice and Ad Aware, and then AboutBuster and it just sort of destroyed the computer. Now almost nothing works at all!!!

I am just glad that this is not my computer!

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

yeah i got that same shit, it seems to hit me hardest whenever I acces this site. as we speak my page is being taken over by some bullshit websearch page so I have about thirty seconds to type before this page is no longer blue blood forums and completly that other thing....

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

I've run a system restore to the date when my comp was working right when all else failed. Has worked every time

OEC

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

Spybot Search & Destroy seems to work best for me.

a word of advice that most people seem to realise. if you run an anti spyware program DON'T HAVE INTERNET EXPLORER OPEN. alot of times it can't remove the spyware becuase the spyware is currently active. therefore close IE beforhand.

chaosfeary's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MistressJennifer
    I have run Spy Sweeper and Adaware SE, and I even ran Spy Sweeper TWICE and I cannot get rid of them..
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakken
    Do a full system scan with Ad-Aware

Ok, this program might help, it's a free tool designed specifically for getting rid of "Hijackers" like you seem to have picked up:
    HijackThis

Screenshot:

bre.star's Avatar Senior Member

a lot of spywear removing programs dont get rid of everything... so whenever i start up my computer i press: CTRL ALT DEL and i click on the processes tab. i delete everything except explorer.exe, taskmgr.exe, and all the programs running under "SYSTEM","LOCAL SERVICE", and "NETWORK SERVICE." it keeps the spywear away for as long as my computer is on until i have to reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by bre.star
    a lot of spywear removing programs dont get rid of everything... so whenever i start up my computer i press: CTRL ALT DEL and i click on the processes tab. i delete everything except explorer.exe, taskmgr.exe, and all the programs running under "SYSTEM","LOCAL SERVICE", and "NETWORK SERVICE." it keeps the spywear away for as long as my computer is on until i have to reboot.
    You *could* always save yourself the trouble by going in through start/msconfig/startup and preventing them from opening in the first place. PLUS that also gives you an idea where the files are actually located so they can be removed manually through registry AND deletion.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

well the question I always ask myself is how do you know which are the spyware/ virus programs and which are the real legit system files? since most of them are just seemingly incomprehnsive words and strings of numbers, I can't tell the difference and I am always afraid to delete a program that I actaully need by mistake, so I'm hesitant to delete anything unless I'm certain of what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    well the question I always ask myself is how do you know which are the spyware/ virus programs and which are the real legit system files? since most of them are just seemingly incomprehnsive words and strings of numbers, I can't tell the difference and I am always afraid to delete a program that I actaully need by mistake, so I'm hesitant to delete anything unless I'm certain of what it is.
    Most times you'll be able to tell by where it's located. C:\Windows\TEMP wont hold any system files.

Howrangi's Avatar So how old are you again?

their is this web page that i goto that helps me out "doxdesk" this should help out for ya.

bre.star's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drakken
    You *could* always save yourself the trouble by going in through start/msconfig/startup and preventing them from opening in the first place. PLUS that also gives you an idea where the files are actually located so they can be removed manually through registry AND deletion.
    ooh no i once deleted spywear from the registration manually... it was not pretty, i had to reinstall my whole computer *tear*

+ Reply to Thread