+ Reply to Thread

Thread: booze vs. weed

Default booze vs. weed

why is alcoholism considered so taboo..while a pot head is considered a chill hippy...or whatever...

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Default Re: booze vs. weed

It depends on who you ask. But, substance abuse is bad, no matter what it is that you are using. Smoking too much of anything is horrible for your body, just like drinking too much. Your body can only take so much. Moderation is the key.

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

booze only squares use drugs

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

People who just have a drink now and then, or get stoned at a party, are the same thing.

And people who get drunk every day, and smoke out every day, are doing the same thing.

It's a double standard, if you think people think pot is ok, and alcohol isn't.
    Or if they think alcohol is fine, but pot is a drug.

They are both drugs, and they can both be abused, or used in mild amounts.

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

i think it's becuase of the "stigma" attached to being a drunk, rough violent ,ect,ect

most peple see a Chronic(seriuos pothead) and don't think he could get made if our fucked his granmother,

get what i'm trying to say?..'cus i don't really,haha......

nyar's Avatar The Crawling Chaos

Quote Originally Posted by whorsefukker
    why is alcoholism considered so taboo..while a pot head is considered a chill hippy...or whatever...
    let me get this right- you're asking this question, but never tried either?-
    this is really one of those "if you have to ask- you wouldn't understand" questions!!-
    but what the hell- I've got a few minutes-
    lets see-
    hmmm...
    (damn, this is so silly)-
    ok-
    1)you can overdose on alchol- never in the history of the world has anyone overdosed on pot- its impossible
    2)if you're at a concert or sporting event and someone is being loud, obnoxious, rude- possibly violent- are they drunk or high??? (think hard- this is an easy one)- umm, its drunk.
    3) Jails are regularly filled with various alchol related offenders- DUIs, domestic violence, various degrees of battery, and lewd behavior. When they get pot smokers its usually for something completely unrelated.
    4) (This one covers a few things, beacause there are so many idiots out there they may be arguable- but,) alchol can cause a loss of inhibitions, weed doesn't, or at least not to the extent that alchol can. Also, most people can do anything they can do straight while high, try living daily, or working while drunk!
    5) every year alchol kills more people than ALL drugs combined!!!
    6) a simple answer is- alchol destroys lives- marijuana doesn't

and- what country do you live in- alchol is the national drink here in the US- recreational drinking is one of our most socially acceptable norms. Almost every type of social gathering we have includes the consumption of alchol.
    alcholism- (which is much different than just drinking)is a disease, an addiction, that destroys the lives of those afflicted, often those who love them, and cost the country millions, if not billions!!
    "Pot-heads" are often considered "chill hippy" because thats the stereotype, and like all stereotypes there are many people who fit that mold perfectly.
    hows that?-

A good example would be an employer's attitude.

If they know an employee smokes pot after work, on their own time, they really do not care, because they just figure they are relaxing, etc...

But if they know an employee gets drunk every night, they assume they will be late to work in the AM, or they will be out drunk driving, running over schoolchildren, getting in fights, etc...

A pothead is generally considered pretty harmless.

But alcohol abuse has all these negative stereotypes.

But I know people who drink all day, every day, and still manage to function...
    So there are indeed perfectly functional alcoholics.

But that is not the public perception.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Anyone who has a heavy need for a certain substance usually has an aura of stupidity about them that's hard to ignore or put up with. Basicly if you structure your life and fun around ANY substance...you have a problem and at least for me...these people tend to be fucking boring. Alchohol does indeed cause many problems and is pretty damaging but it's LEGAL...so many many MANY more people do it. If illegal drugs were legal they'd be jsut as bad...yes even pot. Why? Cause people are fucking idiots and always figure out how to ruin a good thing...

memorydream's Avatar Sage

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathKnight
    A good example would be an employer's attitude.

If they know an employee smokes pot after work, on their own time, they really do not care, because they just figure they are relaxing, etc...

But if they know an employee gets drunk every night, they assume they will be late to work in the AM, or they will be out drunk driving, running over schoolchildren, getting in fights, etc...

A pothead is generally considered pretty harmless.

But alcohol abuse has all these negative stereotypes.

But I know people who drink all day, every day, and still manage to function...
    So there are indeed perfectly functional alcoholics.

But that is not the public perception.
    I love your responses.

I once worked for a corporation (telemarketing) where everyone would smoke (pot and tobacco), drink, eat McD's and even sometimes do mushrooms on their breaks. A lot of the management joined in and a few secretaries even went and smoked crack on their lunch breaks. Consequently, the turnover went down a great deal (heck, I stayed there thanks to a month long Boone's/Mike's Hard binge).

Love,

Me

Ellis's Avatar Kuwabara Kuwabara

They are both drugs. Fuck drugs. (the world is crazy enough without stuff like that)

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis
    They are both drugs. Fuck drugs. (the world is crazy enough without stuff like that)
    Nothing wrong with NOT wanting to take drugs (I fully support that).

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

I have no problems with pot smokers or drinkers, unless they're violent drunks. But it is possible to get drunk off of water. It's very rare and one person has died from it. My problem is with binge drinkers.

both are god when used rationaly... a glas of wine after lunch and spliff at midnight is just fine.... but smokin' 20+ joints a day (my case in high school) isn't so healthy....
    I use to say that pot is god for stupid to become smarter.... after that it's pointless to smoke more (unless you're idiot)

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

Quote Originally Posted by whorsefukker

alcohol... taboo. right. that's why you can buy it over the counter. that's why they advertise it on tv. and that's why, when a hollywood protagonist needs to look cool, they have a drink.

that's progress, i suppose. once, they would have lit a cigarette.

Ichigo's Avatar Senior Member

I don't think that alcohol is taboo, I always thought that weed was. There's all those commercials on tv telling you not to do it.

CarnalxKiss's Avatar Carnal Love Goddess

I dunno...but i'll be a hippy...i love my weed!..why is it...we cant smoke something that isnt altered and is naturelle...been around for millions (billions) of years...but one joint and we are illegal...now you can drink a beer get behind the wheel of a car after buying something from a convienent store (beer) and society is ok with this?..the one smoking weed is awful...and what pisses me off the most is the person saying I am awful for smoking a J...is theone whos driving and drinking....sheesh..

you dont hear of many pot related accidents..unless they drop the joint...(bad bad you) we make drive slow...but we get there....lol

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

umm, alchohol is made from decaying organic matter due to the chemical breakdown of glucose/suger. it is also made quickly as a waste product of yeast organsims after they eat suger. sometimes is boiled to get rid of the impure elements. how is that unnatural? often a little more complex then lighting up a bud, but still natural.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    umm, alchohol is made from decaying organic matter due to the chemical breakdown of glucose/suger. it is also made quickly as a waste product of yeast organsims after they eat suger. sometimes is boiled to get rid of the impure elements. how is that unnatural? often a little more complex then lighting up a bud, but still natural.
    But, what about drinking a bud?

You know that reminds me of a recovering alcholic who actually, after quitting for nearly a year, would wake up with the spins after his nightly sugar binges of klondike bars.

Forestghost's Avatar Knowlege is power!

Nyar said that "alcohol destroys lives, marijuana doesn't" Ummmm...I agree with the first part, yes, alcohol destroys lives when abused. But are you telling me that there are young people out there who don't start smoking pot, become mentally addicted, get to high to care about things like homework, school and parents, and then end up unable to get into college or university because they smoked too much pot in high school and subsiquently failed too often? are you saying that that doestn' happen?

I went to school with a large number of people who were bright, ambitious and eager to learn...but decided to start smoking pot....then started failing subjects they used to ace...skipped school to smoke pot....some even picked up some jail time. Ruined lives? I think so! The drug resulted in a change of motives and reasons to get up in the morning. They started looking forward to school because that was where they could get their next high, not because it was interesting, or because it was important!

so yes, MJ has ruined lives....the lives of quite a few people...people that knew personally!

23*'s Avatar Stranger than fiction
    Ireland With the Leprechauns and the little people.

Quote Originally Posted by Forestghost
    Nyar said that "alcohol destroys lives, marijuana doesn't" Ummmm...I agree with the first part, yes, alcohol destroys lives when abused. But are you telling me that there are young people out there who don't start smoking pot, become mentally addicted, get to high to care about things like homework, school and parents, and then end up unable to get into college or university because they smoked too much pot in high school and subsiquently failed too often? are you saying that that doestn' happen?

I went to school with a large number of people who were bright, ambitious and eager to learn...but decided to start smoking pot....then started failing subjects they used to ace...skipped school to smoke pot....some even picked up some jail time. Ruined lives? I think so! The drug resulted in a change of motives and reasons to get up in the morning. They started looking forward to school because that was where they could get their next high, not because it was interesting, or because it was important!
    i guess they weren't so clever afterall then...

People gotta figure shit out on their own...

Jenn Bats's Avatar Junior Member

I think marijuana should be treated the same as booze.
    It should be legalized & regualted (as thats the only way legalization will occur)
    I like both once in a while

As ForrestBlack said, moderation is the key. seems a little perverse though, that Maijuana is illegal and Alcohol is merely licensed, especially since i'd say alcohol was slightly more dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by CarnalxKiss
    I dunno...but i'll be a hippy...i love my weed!..why is it...we cant smoke something that isnt altered and is naturelle...been around for millions (billions) of years...
    This argument always gets my goat. yes, weed is a naturally occuring sustance. so is alcohol. so is arsenic. Indeed cliffs are a perfectly natural phenomenon - and you will find more creatures in nature who will instinctively hurl themselves over cliffs than will voluntarily inhale carcinogenic fumes.

(woo! hell of a first post. so, in the space of two paragraphs i've shown myself to be a sycophant and a pompus ass. next thing i'll let slip i'm some kind of pervert or something... Let this be a lesson to you; Caffene: Don't do it kids!)

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

Quote Originally Posted by Azekiel
    (woo! hell of a first post. so, in the space of two paragraphs i've shown myself to be a sycophant and a pompus ass. next thing i'll let slip i'm some kind of pervert or something... Let this be a lesson to you; Caffene: Don't do it kids!)
    talk about caffiene,it's 6:23A.M. here, i need some damn caffeine, i gotta go to work soon,guess sleeping is a bit out of the question now,hahha,well.........fuck.............

Quote Originally Posted by Azekiel
    As ForrestBlack said, moderation is the key. seems a little perverse though, that Maijuana is illegal and Alcohol is merely licensed, especially since i'd say alcohol was slightly more dangerous.

This argument always gets my goat. yes, weed is a naturally occuring sustance. so is alcohol. so is arsenic. Indeed cliffs are a perfectly natural phenomenon - and you will find more creatures in nature who will instinctively hurl themselves over cliffs than will voluntarily inhale carcinogenic fumes.
    Great observation....it's so true.

Quote Originally Posted by Forestghost
    But are you telling me that there are young people out there who don't start smoking pot... and end up unable to get into college or university...? are you saying that that doesn't happen?
    don't be melodramatic; of course that happens. i don't think anyone was insinuating it doesn't.

on more than a dozen occasions, i have been physically assaulted by people too drunk to actually land a punch, and believe me, i am a big target - hard to miss. additionally, it's not like i go around picking fights with drunks - these were all occasions where i was either sitting quietly in a corner, or walking past a venue from which drunk people were spilling, like vomit from the corners of the mouth of a drunk person.

i've never been attacked by a doper; not even verbally. not once.

alcohol might make you think you're incredibly charming and that you can sing, but in my experiences with drunks, they can become suddenly violent for no visibly good reason. i'm not saying they're all like that; i'm saying that formerly mild and timid people can become raging psychos.

now, unless you're sending these people into battle against an implacable and inhuman enemy, what good is it? catharsis? why does someone else's catharsis have to involve me getting punched?

found this via Memepool:

http://www.*******.com/news/pubring/20050220-angry.html

angry customers of the piercing and tattooing trade. the relevant part is, many of the incomprehensibly assoholic clients were reported as having had booze on their breath.

"Malarkey? or effective way?"

Quote Originally Posted by sheramil
    don't be melodramatic; of course that happens. i don't think anyone was insinuating it doesn't.

on more than a dozen occasions, i have been physically assaulted by people too drunk to actually land a punch, and believe me, i am a big target - hard to miss. additionally, it's not like i go around picking fights with drunks - these were all occasions where i was either sitting quietly in a corner, or walking past a venue from which drunk people were spilling, like vomit from the corners of the mouth of a drunk person.

i've never been attacked by a doper; not even verbally. not once.

alcohol might make you think you're incredibly charming and that you can sing, but in my experiences with drunks, they can become suddenly violent for no visibly good reason. i'm not saying they're all like that; i'm saying that formerly mild and timid people can become raging psychos.

now, unless you're sending these people into battle against an implacable and inhuman enemy, what good is it? catharsis? why does someone else's catharsis have to involve me getting punched?

Ok, so I was talking about the statement that "Alcohol ruins lives, marijuana doesn't". I was simply making a point of displaying how marijuana does indeed ruin lives.

You are talking about your personal experiences with violent drunk people. Different topic....yes, pot smokers are usually too stoned and high to get violent...or do anything useful for that matter. And YES, drunk people lose control and get violent (or sexual, or funny).
    The fact that you've never been attacked by a doper is cool..I'm glad. And i'm sorry to hear that you've been hit by drunk people. But the fact remains that pot still ruins peoples lives.

So look at the percentage of the population here. I know a LOT of people who drink...but know how to control themselves. If you are going to be in a situation where people are drinking way to much...either face the potential consequences of putting yourself in that environment, or LEAVE. I personally hate it when people get overly drunk and start causing shit...so what do I do? Find places to go where people know how to drink socially, not to get shitfaced. If you go to a dance club with 5000 people drinking $1.00 shooters and $2.00 beers...there is going to be fighting...and people being sleezy...and people doing things they regret. That is the type of place a danceclub is. All the pot smokers are at home giggling at teletubbies reruns. If you think alcohol is such a problem...stay away from it and the people who consume it!

Same goes for pot-smokers though.

Some can be reasonable about it, and others get out of hand.

The key is that level of control.
    If you drink too much, you know you may get into a bad situation.
    Puking, in jail, in a fight, acting stupid, pissing off your friends, etc...
    So most people know how to keep their drinking from getting out of hand.
    In the same way, people who get stoned, need to know that they will
    be out of it for several hours. So if they have nothing better to do,
    and are unwinding at the end of the day, then no problem...
    But if you get stoned in the AM, and sit around doing nothing
    all day, then you have to realize that your drug use is indeed
    going to affect your life in a bad way.

It's all a matter of making smart choices about substance use.
    Some people can do it, other people can't...

+ Reply to Thread