+ Reply to Thread

Thread: i hate people who think anorexia makes them cool

and your little dog too

Default i hate people who think anorexia makes them cool

from news center 16

Bracelets take on scary new meaning

Charity bracelets are all the rage these days: yellow for cancer, red for diabetes, just to name a few. But out of this rainbow of goodwill, a much darker side is emerging with bracelets that have a very different message.

The beaded bracelets are secret symbols of a deadly obsession. They're worn by young people suffering from eating disorders and other destructive behaviors.

"It's a subculture that allows them a sense of connection, so they belong somewhere," says Dr. Alexander Sackeyfio.

Eve Rosenblum is an 18-year-old from suburban Detroit who struggles with anorexia. She purchased a $15 bracelet from a website which also sponsors a chat room.

"Only the people that know about it, know that you have an eating disorder," says Eve. "They understand. They don't think it's like horrible and they don't think you should get better."

Sufferers have even given themselves nicknames. "Ana" for anorexic, (those who jeopardize their health by not eating) or "Mia" for bulimic, (those who overeat and then purge themselves by vomiting).

The Internet is full of websites like selling red bracelets for anorexia, purple for bulimia, and black-and-blue for self-mutilation. Many of the sites were started by people looking for reinforcement from other sufferers. Health care professionals say they encourage young people to put their lives at risk.

"These sites are not about recovery. These sites are about reinforcement of an illness, saying ‘Let's stay sick together’," says Lynn Grefe from the National Eating Disorders Association.

Online visitors get “inspiration” to be thin with pictures of emaciated women and advice on how to lose even more weight.

"It's like a cult. ‘Gee, I'm anorexic and so are you and isn't this neat’. And in fact, isn't that sick?" says Grefe.

A cult with a telltale symbol worn proudly by those who doctors say need help.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default Re: i hate people who think anorexia makes them cool

Yeah this has been going on for years....

Quote Originally Posted by karyn
    from news center 16

Bracelets take on scary new meaning

Charity bracelets are all the rage these days: yellow for cancer, red for diabetes, just to name a few. But out of this rainbow of goodwill, a much darker side is emerging with bracelets that have a very different message.

The beaded bracelets are secret symbols of a deadly obsession. They're worn by young people suffering from eating disorders and other destructive behaviors.

"It's a subculture that allows them a sense of connection, so they belong somewhere," says Dr. Alexander Sackeyfio.

Eve Rosenblum is an 18-year-old from suburban Detroit who struggles with anorexia. She purchased a $15 bracelet from a website which also sponsors a chat room.

"Only the people that know about it, know that you have an eating disorder," says Eve. "They understand. They don't think it's like horrible and they don't think you should get better."

Sufferers have even given themselves nicknames. "Ana" for anorexic, (those who jeopardize their health by not eating) or "Mia" for bulimic, (those who overeat and then purge themselves by vomiting).

The Internet is full of websites like selling red bracelets for anorexia, purple for bulimia, and black-and-blue for self-mutilation. Many of the sites were started by people looking for reinforcement from other sufferers. Health care professionals say they encourage young people to put their lives at risk.

"These sites are not about recovery. These sites are about reinforcement of an illness, saying ‘Let's stay sick together’," says Lynn Grefe from the National Eating Disorders Association.

Online visitors get “inspiration” to be thin with pictures of emaciated women and advice on how to lose even more weight.

"It's like a cult. ‘Gee, I'm anorexic and so are you and isn't this neat’. And in fact, isn't that sick?" says Grefe.

A cult with a telltale symbol worn proudly by those who doctors say need help.
    ...alot of that is bullshit as well. You know, my sister got in trouble at school for wearing black bracelets mixed with red bracelets (you know, the rubber ones.) They said that she was propositioning people by letting them know "she liked sex".

I had a few words with them.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by cheinara wraithwalker
    ...alot of that is bullshit as well. You know, my sister got in trouble at school for wearing black bracelets mixed with red bracelets (you know, the rubber ones.) They said that she was propositioning people by letting them know "she liked sex".

I had a few words with them.
    Well, dressing in an attractive or creative fashion is a come on

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    Well, dressing in an attractive or creative fashion is a come on
    She wasn't really all that dressed up, either. Blue jeans and a t-shirt. >_< Then again, this was the same school that said you couldn't wear the color black or dye their hair any unatural color. Also, dark makeup and nails were banned.

+ Reply to Thread