+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Constatine...

CarnalxKiss's Avatar Carnal Love Goddess

Default Constatine...

So I went and saw the movie this weekend...keanu is lovlier than ever...and i thought the movie was awesome...few make it in my dvd collection...but this will...the special effects and witty dark humour made it enviable in my book...

Constatine gets 3 snaps up...and a twist....(he he)

Default Re: Constatine...

I really enjoyed it!! Will have to buy it for my fiance when it comes out. He'll like it, too.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

it was not faithful to the comic...

Constantine is supposed to be a blonde skinny british dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine

Yea i know...but at least Keanu gave us something lovely to look at...YUM

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine

I think the comic and the movie are two different things, and can't be judged one against the other. It's why I love them both.

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

I'm envious, I want to see this movie so bad.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Well...I'm a huge fan of the comic (well the Ennis/Dillon run mainly) so I'm a big bugged that it strayed so far from the comic...the comic has zero to do with guns and this inane "cop" angle. Bugged that so many comics are going the action route with vengeance as the main theme. But hey...if it gets people to READ comics then great.

I'll catch it on DVD though. I'm too much of a fanboy to miss it all together. Reminds me of that Mission Hill episode...

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

Personally, I'm waiting for Sin City........ If Constantine's in theaters when I have cash, then I'll go.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Well...I'm a huge fan of the comic (well the Ennis/Dillon run mainly) so I'm a big bugged that it strayed so far from the comic...the comic has zero to do with guns and this inane "cop" angle. Bugged that so many comics are going the action route with vengeance as the main theme. But hey...if it gets people to READ comics then great.

I'll catch it on DVD though. I'm too much of a fanboy to miss it all together. Reminds me of that Mission Hill episode...

Oh it had no *Cop* edge...not at all...it is a man doomed to hell...he is trying ot get into heaven by making up for committing suicide.,..and the gun was dragons breath....it was really very clever...i cant wait to check out the comic now...

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by CarnalxKiss
    Oh it had no *Cop* edge...not at all...it is a man doomed to hell...he is trying ot get into heaven by making up for committing suicide.,..and the gun was dragons breath....it was really very clever...i cant wait to check out the comic now...
    Well the comic is very very very very very very diffrent. It also turned to absolute crap after issue 75 to be honest. It had some interesting moments but really the first 75 and the characters apperance in Swamp Thing and The Sandman are the true essance of the character.

What bugged me about the storyline was that it was done much better in the comic with a much better set up. You'll see it when you read it...you may also be a bit surprised by the REAL John Constantine...he's one hell of a bastard. You'll see why Hell wants REALLY wants him and why Heaven would have nothing to do with him...ever.

Though sadly all that was fucked over and destroyed in recent years and he became a shell of his former glory and importance.

Guess I got the cop impression from a few newsbites and reviews...thought it sounded a bit odd.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by hewhoisagod
    Personally, I'm waiting for Sin City........ If Constantine's in theaters when I have cash, then I'll go.
    Yeah I can't wait for Sin City...though I really want to see the DVD version since it's suppose to have the COMPLETE comic stories they took to make the movie...that's an interesting idea to say the least. Hope it works.

Ellis's Avatar Kuwabara Kuwabara

Sin City is going to be.... oh god, fucking awesome. Constantine was much more than passable. Never loved the comics too much, got into them too late. But the movie is pretty good.

nyar's Avatar The Crawling Chaos

It was...Ok.
    not a total let down like so many movies I've wasted money on lately-
    was keanu in it?

I was to damn busy watchin rachel weiss!!!!!!!!!
    ...oh- and the cool FX.

Holy crap I forgot aobut Sin City! I'm so excited about it! It looks so good >_<

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I don't know about sin city.. how can you make all those stories into one movie?
    for one thing the character of Nancy who's played by Jessica Alba is a minor character in all of the stories, nonetheless we see her as an adult in Marv's storyline from the very first Sin City comics (which was just called Sin City, and which I would assume the bulk of the movie is based on).
    In another story called That Yellow Bastard, which must also be depicted in the movie as it contains the character's of the Yellow Bastard and Detective Harrtigan ( played by bruce willis in the movie) from that storyline; the character of nancy is a little kid... so how does that work out in a movie? it works on the comics because each storyline is more or less independant from the other one's, and it's really only the minor characters and events that connect them. In a movie you'd have to show it all at one time, showing That Yellow Bastard story for the first hour, then saying "15 years later" and then the following stories, which would be stupid. or you'd have to jump around back and forth between the stories which would be confusing.
    or you'd just have to change the story and the characters so that it all happens at the same time, which would be even stupider and would totally ruin the movie.

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

I really liked the movie. It was just really really well put together.

Thurbane316's Avatar Throbbing Member

I just saw it, and I must say I really enjoyed it, despite negative reviews some of my friends gave it.

**** out of *****

rayvanfire's Avatar the dark and fallen one

i saw it befor a concert, and it got me hyped up for the pitts,(dont ask) i loved the movie........

he talks like geek in that mvie..... btw good movie

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I don't know about sin city.. how can you make all those stories into one movie?
    for one thing the character of Nancy who's played by Jessica Alba is a minor character in all of the stories, nonetheless we see her as an adult in Marv's storyline from the very first Sin City comics (which was just called Sin City, and which I would assume the bulk of the movie is based on).
    In another story called That Yellow Bastard, which must also be depicted in the movie as it contains the character's of the Yellow Bastard and Detective Harrtigan ( played by bruce willis in the movie) from that storyline; the character of nancy is a little kid... so how does that work out in a movie? it works on the comics because each storyline is more or less independant from the other one's, and it's really only the minor characters and events that connect them. In a movie you'd have to show it all at one time, showing That Yellow Bastard story for the first hour, then saying "15 years later" and then the following stories, which would be stupid. or you'd have to jump around back and forth between the stories which would be confusing.
    or you'd just have to change the story and the characters so that it all happens at the same time, which would be even stupider and would totally ruin the movie.

Yeah I was a bit shocked all of it was being mixed together...but given Frank has such deep ties with this and it's his baby and all...he must have figured out a slick way to do it in terms of adaptation. Though when you get right down to it you could mix the first story and that yellow bastard pretty easy since both revolve around sadistic killers...the big fat kill makes an perfect sub plot and adds instant action...so it's not all that impossible. The DVD version is suppose to have the full version of each story...kinda curious how that turns out.

Ichigo's Avatar Senior Member

I'm kinda getting annoyed by the huge amount of movies based on comic books coming out lately.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Ichigo
    I'm kinda getting annoyed by the huge amount of movies based on comic books coming out lately.
    Well it's gone from zero to 60 quite fast...but I'm happy to see them around. Hopefully this latest trend will relax a bit and become more of an established genre. Plus it's not as dominating as people seem to think...for every 1 comic book movie their are dozens upon dozens of ones having zero to do with comics.

Original work is still being made...but exciting ideas are one of comics greatest strengths and Hollywood needs it at the moment for cash and attention. As much as people bitch and moan about original ideas...they are quite rare and don't come along too often...even when they do one needs to have the skill and vision to execute them.

That's far from common. Besides...beats the Hollywood trend of making big budget movies based on TV shows any day.

CeruleanFire's Avatar Senior Member

I liked it, I havent read the comic, but I thought this movie was better then some of the garbage that has been released lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichigo
    I don't

I've no idea what Tequila Zire and Morning Glory are babbling about with regards to Sin City...if you READ the comics, you'll know that Hartigan gets framed and imprisoned, during which time (i.e, years) the young girl abducted by Roark's son blossoms into a vision of Jessica Alba-esque womanhood.

My guess is they will use a FLASHBACK with a diffent actress playing the younger version of Jessica Alba's character...apparently, this has been done before in other films to some success...

As for saying the stories in Sin City are more or less independent of one another, go back and READ the comics and notice that there is a very definite timeline...after all, Marv dies in the first Sin City, so how come he appears in subsequent storties? Because those stories take place (chronologically) before the events in the original Sin City. Have you ever seen a little film called 'Pulp Fiction'? John Travolta gets killed midway through it by Bruce Willis, yet he's alive and talking to Samuel L. Jackson at the end of the movie in some diner. Yet the movie did OK....they jumped back and forth between stories and the audience didn't get confused...in fact, they rather enjoyed it by all accounts.

I know Miller is a kick-ass artist and all, but if you look at those funny word balloons coming out of the characters' mouths, you'll get a whole new understanding and enjoyment of his work...go back and have a look at later volumes of Sin City...storylines do crossover, and there are lots of little cameos here and there that you've probably missed. Pick up a couple of collections and see for yourself...

yeah but that was no one gave a shit about the storyline in pulpfiction. they just watched it to see funny shit. I think the sin city stories are a little more complex than john travolta changing clothes, then going on a date and saving mia from ODing, then getting shot while he was taking a shit. that's pretty easy to understand, and it's still pretty confusing the first time you see the movie.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotic Vampire
    I've no idea what Tequila Zire and Morning Glory are babbling about with regards to Sin City...
    Next time read slower then.

What was said is that's it's odd to fit so many stories into ONE film...unlike pulp fiction each story was not nearly 100 pages by itself. The Big Fat Kill alone would be a good movie. So to have that just be one of many...makes it a bit odd. It can be done but a lot of the meat is gonna have to be cut to make the movie your typical length. We're not talking about the comic stories not intertwining or being on a set timeline but they do not all occur at the same time IN the same storyarc...get it now? The film seems to be set up like the comics being all smashed together instead of the seperate storylines told independantly even though they do cross into one another.

It could work...it could not. Either way if the promise is kept to keep the DVD version with the FULL storyline for each tale used in the movie I'll be happy. None the less it looks like a great adaptation of the Sin City SERIES if not an entire independant storyline.

I would of been happy with just The Big Fat Kill or Family Values....fuck the rest.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

finaly, opinions I can trust, guess I will go see it

I just saw constantine. I thought it was pretty good. better than most of the shit movies that i've seen lately, and keanu didn't really talk that much, so he was almost bareable.

This thread was started 3 weeks ago. LET IT DIE.

If you don't like it don't read it. but I don't see why members shouldn't be allowed to discuss a topic after a certain length of time, if people still want to post about it.

I personally thought John Shirley's treatment was better than the movie... tho' it sounded like White Wolf-ish Mage kinda of atmosphere. What bugged me about the movie was that I think they ran out of budget for special effects or something... maybe they should have just kept the special effects to a minimum.

Zoe_Zoebaboe's Avatar Senior Member

I dont know, I think it was just a 2 hour anti-smoking ad.

Thats just me though.

"I dont know, I think it was just a 2 hour anti-smoking ad.

Thats just me though"

Thats prolly becauseyouneed to stop smoking ;-)

+ Reply to Thread