+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 107

Thread: god is dead

  1. #1
    devil13's Avatar Senior Diablo
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    1,038

    Default god is dead

    I'm an athiest and I see a lot of threads here talking about god or the devil. I also have seen a lot of talk in the media about religion in general (bush and his right wing nut job agenda).

    I feel it is my responsibilty to let you all know that there is no god.
    (also if there is no god there is no devil either) There is no one that can prove that there is a god, thats like trying to prove that the invisable man exists. You cant tell me "well the bible says....." because it's just a book, a well writen and edited book.
    I come frome a religious family. I have read the bible and the satanic bible. I do know about religious history as well. More crimes, war, and hatred have been commited in the name of god than anything else in human history.

    I feel as if this country is stepping backwards into the dark ages with all this B.S. about morals and god. I believe fully in the seperation of church and state. And why is it the governments responsibility to tell me what my morals should be in the first place? I like seeing that there still are some people fighting to keep the government in check by voicing their opinions and sueing the government to keep the ten commandments off government property, etc. But still there is a large majority of mainly "christains" who spew their hatred and at the same time try to impose morals on us all.

    I think it would be a better world if people would wake up to the fact that there is no god and start to think more for themselves not what the bible, the church, or the pope tell them to think.

    I want to see how many of you feel the way I do or how many of you don't.

  2. #2
    23*'s Avatar Stranger than fiction
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Ireland With the Leprechauns and the little people.
    Posts
    766

    Default Re: god is dead

    maybe you are wrong.


    just live and let live, thats what i say.

  3. #3
    devil13's Avatar Senior Diablo
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    1,038

    Default Re: god is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by 23*
    maybe you are wrong.


    just live and let live, thats what i say.
    ok but how would I be wrong? do you have any facts?

  4. #4
    TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,995

    Default Re: god is dead

    The way I look at it is this:

    There is one truth that we can all see.

    Our lives.

    We live. We talk to people, we do things, etc.
    We actually see and experience our own life.

    We only know about this timeframe.
    We only *claim* to know what happens afterwards.
    No one has seen it. At least I have not.
    As an athiest, I can not claim to know what happens.
    Maybe I am wrong, and there *is* an afterlife.
    All I know, is that no one really knows, until they die.

    So it is best to look at life, and try to live a good life.
    Try to do good things.
    Try to have fun.
    Try to make the most out of it, because it might be the only life you have.
    Maybe you will be reincarnated or something, or maybe not.
    But all I know is that the entity that is you,
    is only here from the time you are born, to the time you die.
    You have a limited number of years, and then this life is over.
    It might be over sooner than you think.
    So don't waste it being miserable.
    Don't waste it, hoping for something better in an afterlife.
    Don't live you life, looking forward to a heaven that may not exist.

  5. #5
    Hula Hoop Supervisor
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    4,244

    Default Re: god is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by devil13
    I'm an athiest
    I feel it is my responsibilty to let you all know that there is no god.
    I swear that still gives me a healthy gut laugh everytime I hear it. Mainly cause those who don't buy into the whole supreme being thing go out of their way to make it known they don't believe in it. I'm guessing it's a product of ones enviornment...cause really how many here really care what other people believe in faith wise? is it even really an issue anymore? When was the last time ANY of you didn't date or befired somebody because of their faith or lack their of?

    Hell..you'd think the whole planet thought like the Mid-East and their backward way of putting up such walls between people.


    Quote Originally Posted by devil13
    (also if there is no god there is no devil either) There is no one that can prove that there is a god
    Well you can't prove he's dead by saying so on a message board either...even on one as wonderful as this. You kinda need a lil bit more proof...at least a lock of hair or something. Maybe even a crime scene photo...or you know...some actual constructive thought on why he's dead when looking around the world it's pretty safe to say God, the Devil, (and bob!) still have a pulse.

    Hell by your logic I may as well say PUNK IS DEAD!...again! for reals this time!

    Quote Originally Posted by devil13
    thats like trying to prove that the invisable man exists.
    Actually if you think about it it's be pretty easy to prove the invisible man existed...thermal devices for example could detect his body heat ...hell putting flour on a floor could catch his footsteps.



    Quote Originally Posted by devil13
    I come frome a religious family. I have read the bible and the satanic bible. I do know about religious history as well. More crimes, war, and hatred have been commited in the name of god than anything else in human history.
    So commiting a crime in the name of soemthing is somehow worse than the people actually commiting them? Also reading the Bible, The Satanic Bible, The Windows Bible, The Bible Bible and history books does not make one an expert on proclaiming the center figure of faiths dead...it just makes one wonder why with all that reading such a baseless opinion was formed. I'm all for saying God is dead...but you gotta back it up with more than soundbytes.



    Quote Originally Posted by devil13
    I feel as if this country is stepping backwards into the dark ages with all this B.S. about morals and god. I believe fully in the seperation of church and state. And why is it the governments responsibility to tell me what my morals should be in the first place? I like seeing that there still are some people fighting to keep the government in check by voicing their opinions and sueing the government to keep the ten commandments off government property, etc. But still there is a large majority of mainly "christains" who spew their hatred and at the same time try to impose morals on us all.
    Morality, ethics, and God can influence one another but are seperate in both nature and how one develops them. So you can't lump them together based on dogma or ones mans interpreation of them be it seperate or as a whole. As much as Christians may annoy us with their eternal preaching at least they do most of it in specially constructed cages where they eat the corpse and drink the blood of their saviour. It's not like one is getting kidnapped into church by gunpoint on a regular basis. I'm not great fan but Christians as a whole are only slightly less annoying that college rock fans...now you want to talk about kidnapping and preaching...their are your culprits.




    Quote Originally Posted by devil13
    I think it would be a better world if people would wake up to the fact that there is no god and start to think more for themselves not what the bible, the church, or the pope tell them to think.

    I want to see how many of you feel the way I do or how many of you don't.
    People do...and guess what? They still royally fuck things up. Religion is a guide not a set of laws we have to follow (at least not in western nations). I can understand the emtion about it but it seems misplaced when the real power that has such rigid control is on a federal and state goverment level...and as much as religious fundementalists want to control that they still find those who see past their bullshit and keep them at bay...yet go to even the most liberal of cities and see how it's far from perfection...same with communities were religion is not dominant...still pretty fucked up.

    I live in a city where thieir is a church on practicly every block...none hassle me to join, none bug me about god, and the only time I hear Jesus's name is inthe form of "Jesus did ya see the tits on that girl?". So while I'm aware the bible belt likes to kill off many...the communities they breed in are just as much to blame.

    Give anything too much power and influence and you'll see how quickly our own savage nature takes over...with or without the G-O-D.

  6. #6
    devil13's Avatar Senior Diablo
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    1,038

    Default Re: god is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    I swear that still gives me a healthy gut laugh everytime I hear it.

    yea me too

    Mainly cause those who don't buy into the whole supreme being thing go out of their way to make it known they don't believe in it.

    most that do believe in a super friends being go out of there way to tell me im going to a hell I don't believe in

    I'm guessing it's a product of ones enviornment...cause really how many here really care what other people believe in faith wise? is it even really an issue anymore? When was the last time ANY of you didn't date or befired somebody because of their faith or lack their of?

    I started out by saying I have seen it in alot of these threads and in the medea soo yes it is an issue

    Hell..you'd think the whole planet thought like the Mid-East and their backward way of putting up such walls between people.

    christianity was spawned in the Mid-East and if they are backward what does that say about christianity?



    Well you can't prove he's dead by saying so on a message board either...even on one as wonderful as this. You kinda need a lil bit more proof...at least a lock of hair or something. Maybe even a crime scene photo...or you know...some actual constructive thought on why he's dead when looking around the world it's pretty safe to say God, the Devil, (and bob!) still have a pulse.

    thats what I was saying there is no proof that he ever existed

    Hell by your logic I may as well say PUNK IS DEAD!...again! for reals this time!

    by your logic blink 182 is punk for reals


    Actually if you think about it it's be pretty easy to prove the invisible man existed...thermal devices for example could detect his body heat ...hell putting flour on a floor could catch his footsteps.

    if you think about it you can catch fairies that way too




    So commiting a crime in the name of soemthing is somehow worse than the people actually commiting them?

    ??????? when did I say anything about crime

    Also reading the Bible, The Satanic Bible, The Windows Bible, The Bible Bible and history books does not make one an expert on proclaiming the center figure of faiths dead...it just makes one wonder why with all that reading such a baseless opinion was formed. I'm all for saying God is dead...but you gotta back it up with more than soundbytes.

    didn't say I was an expert but saying that one exists on a baseless opinion is pretty much the norm




    Morality, ethics, and God can influence one another but are seperate in both nature and how one develops them. So you can't lump them together based on dogma or ones mans interpreation of them be it seperate or as a whole. As much as Christians may annoy us with their eternal preaching at least they do most of it in specially constructed cages where they eat the corpse and drink the blood of their saviour. It's not like one is getting kidnapped into church by gunpoint on a regular basis. I'm not great fan but Christians as a whole are only slightly less annoying that college rock fans...now you want to talk about kidnapping and preaching...their are your culprits.






    People do...and guess what? They still royally fuck things up. Religion is a guide not a set of laws we have to follow (at least not in western nations). I can understand the emtion about it but it seems misplaced when the real power that has such rigid control is on a federal and state goverment level...and as much as religious fundementalists want to control that they still find those who see past their bullshit and keep them at bay...yet go to even the most liberal of cities and see how it's far from perfection...same with communities were religion is not dominant...still pretty fucked up.

    I live in a city where thieir is a church on practicly every block...none hassle me to join, none bug me about god, and the only time I hear Jesus's name is inthe form of "Jesus did ya see the tits on that girl?". So while I'm aware the bible belt likes to kill off many...the communities they breed in are just as much to blame.

    Give anything too much power and influence and you'll see how quickly our own savage nature takes over...with or without the G-O-D.

  7. #7
    devil13's Avatar Senior Diablo
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    1,038

    Default Re: god is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathKnight
    The way I look at it is this:

    There is one truth that we can all see.

    Our lives.

    We live. We talk to people, we do things, etc.
    We actually see and experience our own life.

    We only know about this timeframe.
    We only *claim* to know what happens afterwards.
    No one has seen it. At least I have not.
    As an athiest, I can not claim to know what happens.
    Maybe I am wrong, and there *is* an afterlife.
    All I know, is that no one really knows, until they die.

    So it is best to look at life, and try to live a good life.
    Try to do good things.
    Try to have fun.
    Try to make the most out of it, because it might be the only life you have.
    Maybe you will be reincarnated or something, or maybe not.
    But all I know is that the entity that is you,
    is only here from the time you are born, to the time you die.
    You have a limited number of years, and then this life is over.
    It might be over sooner than you think.
    So don't waste it being miserable.
    Don't waste it, hoping for something better in an afterlife.
    Don't live you life, looking forward to a heaven that may not exist.

  8. #8
    darki's Avatar darki must die
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    planet earth
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: god is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by devil13
    I think it would be a better world if people would wake up to the fact that there is no god and start to think more for themselves not what the bible, the church, or the pope tell them to think.
    most people don't want to think for themselves.
    They cheerfully obey the strangest religious rules,
    and by doing so they don't have to feel responsible for anything, including themselves.

  9. #9
    One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Subterranea
    Posts
    5,612

    Default Re: god is dead

    I see God and the Devil as archetypes. They tend to be given anthropomorphic (human) qualities which such entities could not possibly have. I believe in no separate gods or devils.

    OEC

  10. #10
    23*'s Avatar Stranger than fiction
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Ireland With the Leprechauns and the little people.
    Posts
    766

    Default Re: god is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by darki
    most people don't want to think for themselves.

    you'd be damn surprised just how many people say this.

  11. #11
    devil13's Avatar Senior Diablo
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    1,038

    Default Re: god is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    I see God and the Devil as archetypes. They tend to be given anthropomorphic (human) qualities which such entities could not possibly have. I believe in no separate gods or devils.

    OEC
    I agree man has allways given thier gods human qualities. but man has also had gods with animal qualities as well.

  12. #12
    One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Subterranea
    Posts
    5,612

    Default Re: god is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by devil13
    I agree man has allways given thier gods human qualities. but man has also had gods with animal qualities as well.
    True, altho one might argue that it is man's perceptions of the animals that are transferred onto the gods (I'm thinking in terms of polytheistic religions)

    OEC

  13. #13
    Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,979

    Default Re: god is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by devil13
    ok but how would I be wrong? do you have any facts?
    Do you have any facts that prove that god doesnt exist?

  14. #14
    ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    San Fransisco
    Posts
    2,938

    Default Re: god is dead

    I think it is important to keep in mind that faith is important to a lot of people. Some people have faith in their Gods, some people have faith in nature and the lack of a higher being, and some people simply have faith in themselves and feel that their actions determine the quality of their future, etc. I think there is a line between a healthy discussion of one's faith and perhaps stepping on someone else's. To challenge one another in an unwinnable contest seems perhaps unreasonably agressive. But then again, feel free to share your own views, I just want people to respect others as well.

  15. #15
    One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Subterranea
    Posts
    5,612

    Default Re: god is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    I think it is important to keep in mind that faith is important to a lot of people. Some people have faith in their Gods, some people have faith in nature and the lack of a higher being, and some people simply have faith in themselves and feel that their actions determine the quality of their future, etc. I think there is a line between a healthy discussion of one's faith and perhaps stepping on someone else's. To challenge one another in an unwinnable contest seems perhaps unreasonably agressive. But then again, feel free to share your own views, I just want people to respect others as well.
    That's a good point. Ultimately, I have faith both in myself and a transcendental reality. To me, it is beyond the secular realm yet a part of one's being. It is ultimately futile to convince either atheists or those who live by religious precepts what can or cannot be known in our mortal existence. It is equally futile to refute my own sense of reality. I definitely believe that all faiths and/or non-faiths should be respected.

    OEC

  16. #16
    Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    967

    Default Re: god is dead

    I believe in God. I don't mind that you don't. I'm not going to sit here & try to find errors in the things you say, it's what you believe & that's a good enough answer for me.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween
    Posts
    1,361

    Default Re: god is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    I think it is important to keep in mind that faith is important to a lot of people. Some people have faith in their Gods, some people have faith in nature and the lack of a higher being, and some people simply have faith in themselves and feel that their actions determine the quality of their future, etc. I think there is a line between a healthy discussion of one's faith and perhaps stepping on someone else's. To challenge one another in an unwinnable contest seems perhaps unreasonably agressive. But then again, feel free to share your own views, I just want people to respect others as well.


    I couldn't have siad it better myself or as intelligentley....or maybe I could have....either way wells aid

  18. #18

    Default Re: god is dead

    I agree this country is headed into the dark ages, but I don't care whether the pres. is all about God or not, I just want some god-damn health care! If these politicians were REAL christians, they would be charitable and believe in just rewards for just work, you know I'm talking about a living wage! More and more companies are refusing to provide basic health care, hell all my professors at the university aren't even covered! If these people are going to be Christians, do what Jesus would do and feed the hungry!!

  19. #19
    nyar's Avatar The Crawling Chaos
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    340

    Default Re: god is dead

    doesn't determining whether "GOD" is dead really depend on your belief of God?- Not that because you say "he", "she", "it" is dead- it had to exist to begin with- thats silly- but simply, if you're an athiest, of course god is dead- to you!!!- for you, whatever. Does that make sense anyone?- we all create our own reality, so for some, "god"- in whatever form they choose- can be very real.
    theres this saying thats something like- "If God didn't exist- we would have created him/it"
    and thats just it- as long as theres belief- its there... for the believer.

    and just because one says they believe in god doesn't strictly mean they believe the same way the christian-psychofucks think-
    I think its pretty safe to say that anything good is usually fucked up by humans sooner or later- so yeah- theres been a lot of zealots, criminals, and murderers that have used, and still use religion to back up thier agenda. But (I really can't believe Im saying this) theres also been a lot of good done in the name of different causes as well.

    oh well- thats my 2 cents worth- my 5 on the 20 sack-

    I actually kinda shudder to think of what the world would be like if everyone was athiest!!- but- Im totally with you on the seperation of church and state shit- its like nobody remembers that part of the constitution anymore!!!

  20. #20
    devil13's Avatar Senior Diablo
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    1,038

    Default Re: god is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    Do you have any facts that prove that god doesnt exist?
    I dont need to. its like asking me to prove that peter pan doesnt exist

  21. #21
    devil13's Avatar Senior Diablo
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    1,038

    Default Re: god is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    I think it is important to keep in mind that faith is important to a lot of people. Some people have faith in their Gods, some people have faith in nature and the lack of a higher being, and some people simply have faith in themselves and feel that their actions determine the quality of their future, etc. I think there is a line between a healthy discussion of one's faith and perhaps stepping on someone else's. To challenge one another in an unwinnable contest seems perhaps unreasonably agressive. But then again, feel free to share your own views, I just want people to respect others as well.
    I agree, but this subject does get people talking though

  22. #22
    devil13's Avatar Senior Diablo
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    1,038

    Default Re: god is dead

    the funny thing is I didn't say whose or what god. when was the last time you prayed to Zues or Thor or Isis?? there are plenty of dead gods and religions.

  23. #23
    Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup
    Posts
    5,643

    Default Re: god is dead

    I've said it before and I'll say it again.. you shouldn't put so much stock in contemporary political "religious" figures, like George Bush. george bush is as much a chrisitian as osama bin ladin is a muslim- not at all. It's just using a popular group affiliation to rally a BS cause. also like I said before, if most of the people in america (or the middle east, or anywhere) were clowns you better beleive that anyone who wanted to have them on thier side would wear a red nose and big floppy shoes. it's not about spirituality it's just about power structure.

  24. #24
    Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup
    Posts
    5,643

    Default Re: god is dead

    ps. Thor doesn't care about you puny mortals. YOUR'E dead to him.

  25. #25

    Default Re: god is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I've said it before and I'll say it again.. you shouldn't put so much stock in contemporary political "religious" figures, like George Bush. george bush is as much a chrisitian as osama bin ladin is a muslim- not at all. It's just using a popular group affiliation to rally a BS cause. also like I said before, if most of the people in america (or the middle east, or anywhere) were clowns you better beleive that anyone who wanted to have them on thier side would wear a red nose and big floppy shoes. it's not about spirituality it's just about power structure.
    Hee hee. So true. I would like to see GWB in floppy shoes and a red nose though...

  26. #26
    Damniel's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    D.F. that's the capital of Mexico
    Posts
    150

    Default Re: god is dead

    and i say this is an endless issue and probaby just 1 out of 100 changes it's mind after a talk on the subject, as said before just live and let live, u wont stop dating or doing stuff anymore becouse of your believes, in fact now it's more interesting because you can exchange your point of view without having a mayor problem.

  27. #27

    Default Re: god is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by darki
    most people don't want to think for themselves.
    They cheerfully obey the strangest religious rules,
    and by doing so they don't have to feel responsible for anything, including themselves.
    For some people higher level thinking regarding morals are so hard to grasp that they need rules to feel they are doing right. Their souls are so young, they can't quite figure it out on their own yet. Strangely enough, I've met atheists with the same mentality. I know an elderly man who has a very young soul; he has a hard time thinking beyond what others tell him to think but instead of turning to religion he religiously obeys science. Even if he doesn't understand something, like the big bang, he says it must be true because a scientist said so. For some people, scientists are their preachers.

  28. #28
    hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    1,534

    Default Re: god is dead

    I say I'm an agnostic, mostly because you can't really prove or disprove that god exists. It's whatever a person wants it to be. Some people believe in god, others don't. People are entitled to their own opinion.

    I took a course in the Old Testament this last semester. The professor (like most professors of religion) was an atheist so it was great to get a completely neutral point of view on the whole thing. I have to admit it was hysterical seeing fundies fuming when he took their faith and shredded it into pieces. I think it's funny that people want to go back to biblical laws without actually READING the bible. And I also find it funny that I know most evangelicals will be in "hell" for ignoring some things that Jesus says not to do (like praying in public). But to say that there is no god, well that's your opinion. But it's as much of a belief as chrisitianity.

  29. #29
    23*'s Avatar Stranger than fiction
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Ireland With the Leprechauns and the little people.
    Posts
    766

    Default Re: god is dead

    well see my problem here is that Devil13 is behaving like there is less of a reason to believe that God exists than if he doesn't. Which is nonsense.

    Now you mention reading the scriptures.....believe me, any donkey can run the bible into the ground..now try reading the Suma Theologica by Thomas Aquinas, next look at John Scottus Eriugena's The Pseudo - Dionysius, you might also like to try Scottus's Periphyseon.

    St. Augustine would also be a good read seeing as how you are so interested in christian philosophy, because thatís what it is, a philosophy. Of course you'll also need to check out the neo-Platonist relationship with the early Christian philosophers too...

    I'm not a practicing christian but I'll never be so vain as to declare that there is no God....as for reasons why there might be one....well just look around...

  30. #30
    devil13's Avatar Senior Diablo
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    1,038

    Default Re: god is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by 23*
    well see my problem here is that Devil13 is behaving like there is less of a reason to believe that God exists than if he doesn't. Which is nonsense.

    Now you mention reading the scriptures.....believe me, any donkey can run the bible into the ground..now try reading the Suma Theologica by Thomas Aquinas, next look at John Scottus Eriugena's The Pseudo - Dionysius, you might also like to try Scottus's Periphyseon.

    St. Augustine would also be a good read seeing as how you are so interested in christian philosophy, because thatís what it is, a philosophy. Of course you'll also need to check out the neo-Platonist relationship with the early Christian philosophers too...

    I'm not a practicing christian but I'll never be so vain as to declare that there is no God....as for reasons why there might be one....well just look around...
    why do I need to read any of those? A book does not prove the existance of anything. anyone can write a book on anything. my point is why do we have to prove something doesnt exist? It should be that you would have to prove that it does. in any court of law you would have to prove without a shadow of a dout that something is what you say it is but, when it come to anything that has to do with religion it is on faith alone that a god exists.
    As for the rise in talk about this subjuct (in government, the media, or whatever) your rights are slowly being taken away from you and you dont even see it. right now there is talks in congress to regulate pay programing the same way that regular progrom would be. if something like that passes whats next? the internet has been another area for concern this site would not exist if the religious right had their way.

  31. #31
    23*'s Avatar Stranger than fiction
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Ireland With the Leprechauns and the little people.
    Posts
    766

    Default Re: god is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by devil13
    why do I need to read any of those?
    ..Why?, because these books attempt to provide proof of gods existence in a largely rational & sensible way.

    Because when you say that "God is dead" you should at least look at the counter-arguments; if you are too lazy to this then at least mention that you donít know what you are talking about in a footnote.

    http://www.faithnet.org.uk/AS%20Subj...n/fiveways.htm

    "In his work Summa Theologica Thomas Aquinas offered five 'proofs' for the existence of God. As with Catholicism today Aquinas believed it was possible to discern truths about God based on reason (human rationality) and revelation (divinely revealed truths not available to reason)."

    Aquinas presents five ways to prove the existence of God.


    Then thereís St. Anselm who used Aristotelian logic in his attempts to prove the existence of God and his ontological argument is pretty watertight even by todayís standards.

    Even Descartes believed in a God!

    Of course I'm not saying that you need to read these dudes, or even that they're correct, only that its stupid to believe that all Christians are bible-toting idiots who can only regurgitate articles from the scriptures when defending their beliefs

  32. #32
    One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Subterranea
    Posts
    5,612

    Default Re: god is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by devil13
    why do I need to read any of those? A book does not prove the existance of anything. anyone can write a book on anything. my point is why do we have to prove something doesnt exist? It should be that you would have to prove that it does. in any court of law you would have to prove without a shadow of a dout that something is what you say it is but, when it come to anything that has to do with religion it is on faith alone that a god exists.
    As for the rise in talk about this subjuct (in government, the media, or whatever) your rights are slowly being taken away from you and you dont even see it. right now there is talks in congress to regulate pay programing the same way that regular progrom would be. if something like that passes whats next? the internet has been another area for concern this site would not exist if the religious right had their way.
    You are operating on the premise that human reason can prove or disprove the nature of reality. I do not believe it can. The religious right is an exoteric form of christianity which is not representative of the human spirit or even of christianity.

    OEC

  33. #33
    MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Mill Valley, California
    Posts
    2,354

    Default Re: god is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by devil13
    I'm an athiest and I see a lot of threads here talking about god or the devil. I also have seen a lot of talk in the media about religion in general (bush and his right wing nut job agenda).

    I feel it is my responsibilty to let you all know that there is no god.
    (also if there is no god there is no devil either) There is no one that can prove that there is a god, thats like trying to prove that the invisable man exists. You cant tell me "well the bible says....." because it's just a book, a well writen and edited book.
    I come frome a religious family. I have read the bible and the satanic bible. I do know about religious history as well. More crimes, war, and hatred have been commited in the name of god than anything else in human history.


    Isn't Johnny Depp god?

    I feel as if this country is stepping backwards into the dark ages with all this B.S. about morals and god. I believe fully in the seperation of church and state. And why is it the governments responsibility to tell me what my morals should be in the first place? I like seeing that there still are some people fighting to keep the government in check by voicing their opinions and sueing the government to keep the ten commandments off government property, etc. But still there is a large majority of mainly "christains" who spew their hatred and at the same time try to impose morals on us all.

    I think it would be a better world if people would wake up to the fact that there is no god and start to think more for themselves not what the bible, the church, or the pope tell them to think.

    I want to see how many of you feel the way I do or how many of you don't.

  34. #34
    Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup
    Posts
    5,643

    Default Re: god is dead

    why is that god lost out for best picture and best actor then?

    burn!

  35. #35
    devil13's Avatar Senior Diablo
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    1,038

    Default Re: god is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    why is that god lost out for best picture and best actor then?

    burn!
    that was jesus

  36. #36
    devil13's Avatar Senior Diablo
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    1,038

    Default Re: god is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by 23*
    ..Why?, because these books attempt to provide proof of gods existence in a largely rational & sensible way.

    Because when you say that "God is dead" you should at least look at the counter-arguments; if you are too lazy to this then at least mention that you donít know what you are talking about in a footnote.

    "In his work Summa Theologica Thomas Aquinas offered five 'proofs' for the existence of God. As with Catholicism today Aquinas believed it was possible to discern truths about God based on reason (human rationality) and revelation (divinely revealed truths not available to reason)."

    Aquinas presents five ways to prove the existence of God.


    Then thereís St. Anselm who used Aristotelian logic in his attempts to prove the existence of God and his ontological argument is pretty watertight even by todayís standards.

    Even Descartes believed in a God!

    Of course I'm not saying that you need to read these dudes, or even that they're correct, only that its stupid to believe that all Christians are bible-toting idiots who can only regurgitate articles from the scriptures when defending their beliefs
    I can attempt to prove that a god like Thor exists too and have a very rational and sensable way of doing it, but it still wouldnt make it fact. as far as me being to lazy well I really dont think that is the case and in fact if you think that, we can allways go back to threads about Paris Hiltons cell getting hacked or Fred Durst porn those really are informative and get people talking on an intalectual level

  37. #37
    23*'s Avatar Stranger than fiction
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Ireland With the Leprechauns and the little people.
    Posts
    766

    Default Re: god is dead

    So did you see the Fred Durst Movie where he fucks Aristotle in the ass? Yeah Aristotle cums all over the place....

  38. #38

    Default Re: god is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by 23*
    So did you see the Fred Durst Movie where he fucks Aristotle in the ass? Yeah Aristotle cums all over the place....
    ...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

    I have a weird sense of humor.

  39. #39
    23*'s Avatar Stranger than fiction
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Ireland With the Leprechauns and the little people.
    Posts
    766

    Default Re: god is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by cheinara wraithwalker
    ...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

    I have a weird sense of humor.

    shit that means i do too

  40. #40
    Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup
    Posts
    5,643

    Default Re: god is dead

    what was that thing where the Ghostbusters where blasting Jesus? that was classic.

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Dead ipods?
    By Poppy in forum Blue Blood Boards
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-19-2007, 09:40 PM
  2. i'm not dead...yet
    By killerkat in forum Blue Blood Boards
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-05-2006, 05:38 PM
  3. 'Saw' producer dead at 42
    By karyn in forum Blue Blood Boards
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 12-19-2005, 11:43 AM
  4. Not Dead Yet
    By MistressJennifer in forum Blue Blood Boards
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-18-2005, 07:15 AM
  5. Not dead
    By keiko in forum Blue Blood Boards
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-14-2004, 08:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Blue Blood
Trappings | Personalities | Galleries | Entertainment | Art | Books | Music | Popcorn | Sex | Happenings | Oddities | Trade/Business | Manifesto | Media | Community
Blue Blood | Contact Us | Advertise | Submissions | About Blue Blood | Links | $Webmasters$
Interested in being a Blue Blood model, writer, illustrator, or photographer? Get in touch