+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Health

Default Health

I've been thinking lately about how tired I become and how my body just feels like it wants to give up and lay down more and more. I've been under quite a bit of pressure from both my family and my fiance's about the details of the wedding, so I had chalked up most of the fatigue to that. There are nights that I can't sleep at all, while there are other times that I feel like sleeping and never waking up.

However, after pagan had wrote (in Amelia's cake thread) about how he didn't even like sweets, I thought, "How can anyone not like sweets?!?!?" And then I remembered a conversation my sister and I had earlier about how society's food can affect someone's body that was from....oh...say about 5,000 years ago. Can you imagine what a snickers bar would do to a person from back in the day?

Anyway, I realize that all food is altered in some way now and that I can't completely get away from that sort of thing, but I'm going to try an experiment with my body. I'm going to remove x (candy) from the equation, and see what happens.

Any advice? Tips? Sites/Links? Warnings? Crocodiles?

Anything is appreciated.

23*'s Avatar Stranger than fiction
    Ireland With the Leprechauns and the little people.

Default Re: Health

lol, kind of funny that you waited almost exactly until after lent to give up sweets!

"Within Australia, there are two species of (true) crocodiles: the salt water or estuarine crocodile and the endemic Australian freshwater crocodile. The biology of the two species differ in many ways, crocodiles are restricted to the coastal fringe and the rivers that drain into it. Salt water crocodiles occupy the immediate coastal areas, including tidal and non-tidal rivers. Salt water crocodiles occasionally go long distances upstream into areas dominated by, and considered typical for fresh water crocodiles. Fresh water crocodiles are only sometimes found in tidal, saline areas. With in the northern territory, fresh water crocodiles were protected in 1963, while salt water crocodiles were still being hunted. In 1971 all the saltwater crocodiles were protected, the recovering 'freshies' soon took the place of the 'salties.' "

Ellis's Avatar Kuwabara Kuwabara

Well, depending on your level of dependancy on candy, you might go into withdrawl. Candy withdrawl. Wost case scenario, it makes you into a raging bitch for a few days/weeks. Ive seen this happen.
    Good luck with this quest, its good to eliminate such toxins from your system. Such Yummy, yummy toxins.

Mekahoel The Pandafist's Avatar Cold, wet and hungry

Mmmmm.....poison.....*gurgle*

If I were you I'd buy some Ginseng. I take it and it helps with alot with stress and fatigue amongst many other things. I swear by the stuff.

Trotter's Avatar Senior Member

yes I would say stay away from the crocodiles, especially the candy-coated ones. No matter how tempting and erotic they seem.

you can continue eating candy if you move a lot... or any kind of exercise, you know wich one is best not to mention it

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

Drink a lot of water. I found when I start getting too tired if I walk around even a little bit it helps. For detox I recommend decaf green tea, or rooiboos red tea both have very good antioxidants. Also take a good multi vitamin. I also like taking a bcomplex supplement (makes your pee neon but is great for sustainable energy). Smaller meals through the day is good for keeping up energy. There are some really great am/pm short yoga dvd's etc around that I hear good things about.

Also be consistant as you can. If you really really want something don't deny yourself but do't go overboard. I've got a ton of healthy eating etc links somewhere. If you like I could pm them to you when I find them. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Nudemuse
    Also take a good multi vitamin. I also like taking a bcomplex supplement (makes your pee neon but is great for sustainable energy).
    I'll try that to fancy around on rave's thanx for tip

Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    I'll try that to fancy around on rave's thanx for tip
    I used to rave a whole lot. I found that if you are super hydrated for a few days before and a few days after you won't sweat out all your energy. Look for timed release b complexes for the prolonged effect. Also extra vitamin c is always good so you don't get whatever influenza the sweaty masses are breathing.

thanx for tip girl.... It's wellcome..... if you know a webpage with small tips like this post it please.....

after rave I tend to use magnesium/coffein pills..... fruits and yogurth

and before yerba mate tea with lot's of honey inside

on rave it's mostly dextrose... I don't know if spelling is wright but it's fruit sugar that goes directly in blood... it's good when you like to dance all night

Eating better will help. Cocaine might help too, but I would try to eating healthy option first.

bre.star's Avatar Senior Member

i find that if i eat healthy i feel better and less sluggish than if i pig out on easy mac and ice cream...

i am always drained of energy and i have found that in order to feel alive i drink a red bull!! red bull is friggin awesome. i drink a redbull every morning before work and i am able to get through 8 hours without dying!

also try and get on a normal sleeping pattern, it helps a lot!! if ur having trouble falling asleep, try reading a book

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

water water everywhere and everyone should drink as much as they can everyday.

Thanks everyone! I've stopped by the health store to check out some Ginsing pills, haven't bought any yet, though. I did, however, buy me some good multivitamins, so, rock.

And Nudemuse, yes, those links would be wonderful. If anyone has anything else like that, send it my way, too!

Thanks again.

PS. It's only been a full day since I've started, and I already have massive headaches. >.<

water.... again and breath some fresh air....

Skavian's Avatar Member

Eat organic. Seriously. Watch what you eat, make sure you're not intaking anything that has too many chemical compounds since it is not that necessary as a presence in your food. A lot of people will tell you "Organic is too expensive," but honestly it's a fine line between getting toxins in your food or eating healthy. I have always made the comparison that these sort of issues is like playing Russian Roulette if someone argues that you shouldn't care since you'll just get cancer anyways. If that is the case, why would you want to load the gun with more bullets? Keep it real and take care of yourself. It pays back ultimately by the time you get old. I know some people say they want to die young, or think they will die young, but life is a whore and will most likely keep you alive until you are 90 and in extreme pain. At least give yourself a chance. Try to know where your food is coming from, and try to know what sorts of products you use. It's really a lot simpler than it sounds. Ellis can testify to the tastiness of the food I eat, so that's not an issue either. Almost everything in my house tastes good, and won't kill you because you're eating a cheese cracker with an ingredient list that is a paragraph long instead of being as simple as: wheat, cheese, salt.

Quote Originally Posted by cheinara wraithwalker
    Thanks everyone! I've stopped by the health store to check out some Ginsing pills, haven't bought any yet, though. I did, however, buy me some good multivitamins, so, rock.

And Nudemuse, yes, those links would be wonderful. If anyone has anything else like that, send it my way, too!

Thanks again.

PS. It's only been a full day since I've started, and I already have massive headaches. >.<
    Just a few for now.

This is an article about detoxing from sugar, alcohol, and caffiene. Some really good tips here it's geared for women but good tips for men too.

I like this article for some nice generic guildlines as to hydration. I've been pretty hardcore about staying hydrated for about four years (due to working in a very dehydrating dusty envirornment) and I can tell you once you feel the difference in being well hydrated and dehydrated you'll really want to drink a lot of water.

As for multivitamins there's a lot of hype about various supplements and herbs but for a basic start you'd do well to go to the drug store and get yourself a one a day. I am taking Olay (cause I got em cheap) vitamins. I also recommend getting yourself one of those pill caddy things. I've found that since I carry mine in my purse I remember to take them.

Also for the ladies it's extremely important to make sure you are getting enough calcium. Start as early as you can because bone deterioration can start in your early twenties. Especially if you drink or smoke. There are also studies that suggest that regular adequete calcium intake can lessen your chances for getting breast cancer.

And you boys, start taking your vitamins early. Also it's never too early to make sure you are taking care of your prostate.

Cheinara the first few weeks are the hardest part. The headaches will ease as your body gets used to something new. I have a lot of trouble with my sleep schedule as well and have found that most 'sleepy' teas (usually the kind you can get at the supermarket) may not put me out but they can get me to relax. Also if you have a ritual around when it's time to sleep that can help. Have a bath, have a cup of tea, make your fiance rub your butt (seriously bum rubbing is one of the most relaxing things in the whole world).

I'm going to slow my roll now. My health isn't the greatest so I'm very passionate about making it the best I can and I tend to rant.

And....I'm spent.

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by cheinara wraithwalker
    I've been thinking lately about how tired I become and how my body just feels like it wants to give up and lay down more and more. I've been under quite a bit of pressure from both my family and my fiance's about the details of the wedding, so I had chalked up most of the fatigue to that. There are nights that I can't sleep at all, while there are other times that I feel like sleeping and never waking up.

However, after pagan had wrote (in Amelia's cake thread) about how he didn't even like sweets, I thought, "How can anyone not like sweets?!?!?" And then I remembered a conversation my sister and I had earlier about how society's food can affect someone's body that was from....oh...say about 5,000 years ago. Can you imagine what a snickers bar would do to a person from back in the day?

Anyway, I realize that all food is altered in some way now and that I can't completely get away from that sort of thing, but I'm going to try an experiment with my body. I'm going to remove x (candy) from the equation, and see what happens.

Any advice? Tips? Sites/Links? Warnings? Crocodiles?

Anything is appreciated.
    I don't think it's the food. I think it's the wedding. It's amazing how draining certain life events can be... And then how energizing other ones are. I mean, cut down on the sweets, but's it the wedding...

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

Actually what you need is another Snickers Bar and a nice foot massage from Johhny Depp... You will feel much better...

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

It's stress related. Cut down on sugars and eat more complex carbs and protein. Get some exercise and sun. That's a very natural response to stress.

OEC

Well, stress related or not, I've been thinking about how once I get married, the world will no longer revolve around me.

Seriously, though. I'm going to be taking care of twin girls, who are turning 3 in September. I think it's important that I start taking care of myself now, so I can take care of them, too. If all I eat is crapfood, then it'll be that much harder to have healthy stuff around the house for them.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

It's stress. Getting married is stressful in and of itself, tho I am sure you will both be happy and prosper.

OEC

nyar's Avatar The Crawling Chaos

drink lots of water-
    get enough sleep-
    eat less- more often(graze)-
    EXERCIZE-
    and lots of sex should help with the candy cravings!!- really!!!!

The sex would be covered if my fiance were here :[

morbid_lady's Avatar Senior Member

my aunt and her son caught out all dairy from their diet and it really helped them. my aunts almost 90 and some days i think she has more energy than me.

I can vouch for the health benefits of cutting out sugar. My Dr. told me 18 months ago to stop eating it and stop drinking coffee. The sugar was WAY HARDER than the coffee or anything else for that matter. It took several weeks before I could get over really feeling lethargic. After that, I cut out meat and dairy too, lost 30 lbs and I feel better than I have in years. I would suggest this, use the coffee to help you get over the sugar if you like, then dump the coffee.

If you are going to be taking care of twin 3 year olds, you don't want to be drinking coffee, or taking anything that might make you edgy. You will need all the patience you have and more. I agree with you that it is better to get your habit of caring for yourself on track now, because you will be busy when you have kids. It can be really hard to care for yourself when there are kids demanding all of your attention.

Oh also, you might consider trying a potassium supplement. Sometimes if your potassium is low it can make you feel really cruddy--like you are describing. There's an easy way to figure it out--get a package of frozen spinach, boil it in 1/2 cup of water. When it's all cooked, strain the liquid and drink 1/2 cup. Then see how you feel. If you feel like you could run a marathon or dance all night afterward, go get yourself a good multivitamin with potassium.

For Calcium, if you are trying to increase your calcium uptake, limit your animal protein consumption. Animal proteins are high in phosphates which actually strip the calcium from your bones. This explains why many third world countries eat low calcium diets and yet have extremely low rates of osteoporosis. Also, get a bit of exercise, this will help you sleep better and a good weight bearing exercise will increase bone mass too.

I hope this is a help. Best, CKTC

+ Reply to Thread