+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Moving in to a Trailer...Any Advice?

Default Moving in to a Trailer...Any Advice?

Hello...

We have just bought some land, a really pretty parcel, 17 acres with a creek, pine trees etc. The rub is that the only way we can afford to build on it is if we move out of our house and rent it out. This means that we will be living in some sort of a trailer or 5th wheel or something. Does anybody out there live in a trailer or other such alternative living space? What about power? can you do it all on propane? Thanks, CKTC

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default Re: Moving in to a Trailer...Any Advice?

All I will say is this...learn about how weather effects the land you got. Last thing you want is to be another trailer statistic when the weather goes south be it to fires, heavy rains, or some sort of mother nature hating trailers act.

Ask trailer owners around your area or on dedicated websites for tips...I'm sure they can tell you all sorts of info you didn;t think you'd need to know.

How ironic you brought this up. =/
    There is a huge battle with the trailer park next to us, on whether or not they would be kicked out, (that would be witout reimbursement) so they can build 3X as many town homes on the same piece of land. Some friends have brought in info on what's really going on. It turns out that the city is trying to get rid of all the trailer parks as far as the eye can see.
    A tiny house would be a better investment, as trailers (probably anywhere, as I've checked out real estate in Georgia and Tenn. as well) tend decrease in value (relatively), or stay the same price, and are a bad investment. A house/townhouse is a much better investment. I higly reccomend buying instead of renting, since you'll be better off in the end. Hope I just didn't give you info you already knew. >.>

Bedlamite

Yeah, I'll have to agree. A trailer will most likley lower your property value. The same problem that Lady Alias is having happens up here in North Carolina as well.

However, in terms of a happy medium, you could look into a modular home.
    There are also options like log home kits, etc.

Most of the time, if you go with the trailer, all the power is NOT off propane. Propane takes care of hot water, cooking, and occasionally you can get a propane refriderator. If you want all the comforts of home however, your going to have to get yourself hooked up to electric, phone lines, etc. The biggest issue is most likely going to be water/septic. Are you close enough to be on city water/septic? Or are going to have to arrange to put in your own? Is there a well on the property? Will you have to arrange to dig one?

CarnalxKiss's Avatar Carnal Love Goddess

A trailer does not lower or raise property value.(at least not in florida) My husband is a federal law enforcement officer. We live on State property in a New mansion on wheels. (lol) we are wanting to buy land and move it..so i'ive looked into all of this in the past month...actually it will raise my value to own the land...when its time for you to build, if you wish to move your trailer off the property, alot of places will haul it for free if they can have it....good luck..the place you bought sounds amazingly beautiful and serene..!

Actually, I think we're looking into something a bit more portable--like a travel trailer or a 5th wheel. We will have to drill a well ($10K) and put in a septic
    (?$). There is power to the land, but it's on the furthest corner from the building site, so we will very likely be running a generator until we can afford to bring it down. One thing at a time... Grandma will have her own travel trailer next door. There is the creek, which is said to run 10 months out of the year, so there is the possibility of a small hydroelectric system, but those are not legal here, I'm told. We'll probably plant some bushes and do it anyway on the sly. It is going to be a challenge having two kids, 2 adults, and a dog in a trailer...
    We're thinking we'll get one of those old bathtubs and set it up outside. Then we can heat water over the fire like our grandparents must have done.
    Living in a tiny trailer will give us plenty of reason to sit outside and look at the stars at night--there are so many at this elevation. It's gonna be great, just like camping for a few years. Oh, I'm scared!

Wow, that is alot of land. Congrats. Never lived in a trailer myself they are not allowed in my area. There is actually a law againt it.
    Sounds like it will be an interesting experience for your family. I would love to have that much land.

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

Quote Originally Posted by curiositykilledthecat
    Actually, I think we're looking into something a bit more portable--like a travel trailer or a 5th wheel.

Good idea for resale value alone. I once bought a Mobile home, and it was my unfortunate experience. Nothing good came of it and I'm glad to be rid of it.

+ Reply to Thread