+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do I quit my job!? please help!

bre.star's Avatar Senior Member

Default How do I quit my job!? please help!

today i got hired at Chuck E. Cheese on the spot, i start work tomorrow. problem is i have work at baskin robbins tomorrow... how do i call them and quit while still being able to keep my dignity and pick up my paychecks???

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

Default Re: How do I quit my job!? please help!

just go in and tell the manager that you quit. They normally cant withold your pay heck although you are supposed to give them advanced notice usually if you are quitting. Or you could just not show up.

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

I quit my last job at a shoe store 3 days b4 christmas wich is suposedly the busyest day of the week. i just went up to my boss and told him i quit he was pissed off like you wouldnt believe but i realy hated that job so i didint even care. I wrote a thread about how i nearly got stabbed while working there by a shoplifter. just tell your boss you cant work there anymore he cant force you to stay there, its not like school were if you dont like your classes you still have to stay there just leave and get on with your life.

That's Great News! Congrats on your new job. I would try to approach the situation at Baskin Robbins in a way that was very gracious so that, if possible, there would still be a good reference for me in the future. I might say something like,

"I have really enjoyed working here, I've learned a lot of good skills (or something else honestly complimentary), but I've been offered another position with more money (better hours or whatever)." Then I would acknowledge that I was leaving them in the lurch and apologize that I couldn't give them more notice. If it were possible, I might offer to work a few hours for the next 2 weeks until they could fill my position. But the fact is, the people at Baskin Robbins, or Chuck E. Cheese don't expect you to stay there forever. If they did, they'd be giving you benefits.

The most important thing is that you don't burn your bridge when you leave. Most people will forgive you for fucking them, if you're nice about it. But you GOTTA BE NICE! In fact, just being nice can overcome a multitude of shortcomings--like laziness and stupidity.

Just my take on things.

devil13's Avatar Senior Diablo

by law thay cant withhold your check but you will have to wait till your normal payday to get your check but if they fire you they must have your final check there when they fire you.

thanks everyone for ur suggestions! the thing is that at this job i dont need to leave a 2 weeks notice because ive only worked there 2 months and im not going to put them as a reference, i have 2 jobs on my resume that i worked at each for over a year so im good on references... ive decided to call in sick tomorrow and say i have a fever, and then friday say im going to the doctors, and saturday tell them i have mono, and then sunday say i need to quit because im going to be sick for a long time... how does that sound??

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

go with cancer you might get free ice cream or a fruitbasket

devil13's Avatar Senior Diablo

Quote Originally Posted by bre.star
    thanks everyone for ur suggestions! the thing is that at this job i dont need to leave a 2 weeks notice because ive only worked there 2 months and im not going to put them as a reference, i have 2 jobs on my resume that i worked at each for over a year so im good on references... ive decided to call in sick tomorrow and say i have a fever, and then friday say im going to the doctors, and saturday tell them i have mono, and then sunday say i need to quit because im going to be sick for a long time... how does that sound??
    just quit. you dont owe them anything. and like I said before, by law they have to pay you so why lead them on and lie. it will be much easyer to just quit and get it over with.

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

You don't need to lie, that isn't the way to go about things. Just tell them you quit, and if possible find someone to cover for you tomorrow. They'll atleast appriciate that you didn't leave them dry.

LOL @ KillAtomiK.!

If you don't have a late shift, you just can go over there and bring a letter telling about you quitting. I did so with a job I had for over 15 months.

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

today i got hired at Chuck E. Cheese on the spot, i start work tomorrow. problem is i have work at baskin robbins tomorrow... how do i call them and quit while still being able to keep my dignity and pick up my paychecks???

It's like taking of a bandage.. just rip it.

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

They have chuck e cheeses in hollywood? Holy shit. Thats news for me. I like CEC well 'cause my sis works there... all the free funkin' tokens I want. But I can't spend them tickets that I get for about a month or two hehe.

First im guessing you took the second job because it either paid more or was just extra income.. if it pays more then you should give Baskin Robbins 31 options to make you stay (i.e. bigger raise.. free icecream...hold gothy events next to the rocky road). If its the extra money is helpful then figure out a schedule so you can work both at the same time without burning yourself out. Heck.. throw down the idea that the two companys merge and form Chuck-E-Robbins...or Baskin-Cheese. I can see the flavors now...Rodentia Marble Cream... Vanilla Bean Cheese Flakes...Kookie and Moustraps....

Quote Originally Posted by [..:Verónica:..]
    LOL @ KillAtomiK.!

If you don't have a late shift, you just can go over there and bring a letter telling about you quitting. I did so with a job I had for over 15 months.

my last job i had at pacific sunwear for a year, i gave them a professional letter and 2 weeks notice and stuff because i wanted to keep them as a reference, but if it was my world i would just tell my manager at baskin robbins to fuck off hehe

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuietPlace
    They have chuck e cheeses in hollywood? Holy shit. Thats news for me. I like CEC well 'cause my sis works there... all the free funkin' tokens I want. But I can't spend them tickets that I get for about a month or two hehe.
    hrmmm im sure they have chuck e cheese around the area, but no i work at a chuck e cheese in san diego... im just cool and say im from hollywood im actually in san diego hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by VoldtaEngler
    First im guessing you took the second job because it either paid more or was just extra income.. if it pays more then you should give Baskin Robbins 31 options to make you stay (i.e. bigger raise.. free icecream...hold gothy events next to the rocky road). If its the extra money is helpful then figure out a schedule so you can work both at the same time without burning yourself out. Heck.. throw down the idea that the two companys merge and form Chuck-E-Robbins...or Baskin-Cheese. I can see the flavors now...Rodentia Marble Cream... Vanilla Bean Cheese Flakes...Kookie and Moustraps....

haha actually chuck e cheese is starting me off at $7.25 which is pretty cool, although baskin robbins started me at $7 and now im up to $7.45 because i got promoted to an assistant manager (yes within a 2 month period...) but i just really HATE it there, it is the job from hell. chuck e cheese should be less hellacious!

Quote Originally Posted by Camby Savelle
    You don't need to lie, that isn't the way to go about things. Just tell them you quit, and if possible find someone to cover for you tomorrow. They'll atleast appriciate that you didn't leave them dry.

sadly i am like the only person who is not in school right now so if i ever need anyone to cover for me, nobody can...

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

tell your boss to fuck off. you only need to give your two weeks notice if you are putting them down as a reference, but since you allready have a job lined up you don't need to do that. also for the future, if you quit a job on bad terms or don't give two weeks or get fired they can't talk shit about you to any future employer that may ask about you, all they can say is whether or not they would rehire you, in that case it would be no.

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

Simply tell the manager of the place you wanna quit that you fucking quit. simple as that. Don't what else to tell.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Generally, when switching jobs of that sort, you can tell your new job when you are scheduled for the next day and they will cheerfully wait a day if they really want you. Just from your posts here, I can tell that they are damn lucky to have you and it is no surprise to me that you would have made assistant manager that quickly. If you have the one day when you are working but know you are leaving to let the old job know, then they do not have to scramble that much to fill your shift. If you don't inconvenience them that much, then it is not reasonable for them to be upset with you for switching jobs. If they have no reason to be upset, then you have no reason to feel uncomfortable picking up the dough you are owed.

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

haha actually chuck e cheese is starting me off at $7.25 which is pretty cool, although baskin robbins started me at $7 and now im up to $7.45 because i got promoted to an assistant manager (yes within a 2 month period...) but i just really HATE it there, it is the job from hell. chuck e cheese should be less hellacious!
    WHAT???

Let me get this straight, you're quiting baskin robbins because you think chuck e cheese will be less stressfull? and for less money?

I hope for your sake that you're right, but I would imagine that CEC would be the worst of the two jobs.

what about school?

Oil~Boy 26's Avatar rebuilding in pain

HA HA Funny i dont suggest that you take the route I did but i broke the news of my quitting wallhell by clocking in late by 2 hrs sitting on my ass in the break room for an hr and not abiding by the dress code (ie instead of slacks i wore pinstriped shorts with straps and buckles and combat boots and my favorite t shirt that said As You Are Standing Here Talking To Me You Do Realise That I Will Be Making Fun Of You As Soon As You Leave )but hay ya cant please em all all the time any way good luck on the new gig and dont burn any bridges if at all possible

Escaped wallyworld employee

OB~26

well thanks for all the advice you guys. i called and quit today. today was my second day at chuck e. cheese, so far its sooo much better than baskin robbins. im going to have my mom pick up my paychecks for me.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

actually is kinda cool to be able to go pick up you last check and sometimes you listen thier shit and say "tell someone who cares" actually it's been a long time since I done thatbut I remember what it's like, anyway fuck'em they'r only baskin robbins and they should be reminded of that

Best one I ever heard was ;
    " Maybe it's the blue margarita talking but ,
    I quit like mad "
    That have to pay you your cheese , give them some of that attitude, and tell them to mail it to you.

+ Reply to Thread