from abc

ABC13 Eyewitness News
(4/19/05 - SUGAR LAND, TX) — Several complaints have been filed against the Sugar Land Police Department after a raid on an underage drinking party. But not all witnesses have the same perspective.

There were no adults present as dozens of teenagers were busted at a party in the 800 block of Sugar Creek in Sugar Land. When Sugar Land police arrived at the home in one of the city's most affluent neighborhoods, they had reason to believe alcohol wasn't the only thing being consumed there.

A caller to 911 said, "I think there's some drugs going on. There's definitely drinking and I believe some marijuana."
No drugs were found, but the patrolmen issued citations to all 24 partygoers who were underage and contacted their parents.

Partygoer Jessica Mojtachedi said, "They were cursing at us, and they were, like, laughing at one of the people who got arrested because of who he was. And I was threatened to get shot when they first came in."

"The cops busted in the back door," recalled Jamie Kennedy, who was ticketed at the party. "They were unwelcome. The door was locked. There was a lot of junk in front of the door."

A neighbor who was home at the time saw things differently. He says it was the parents who were acting out of line, yelling and screaming at the officers.

"The police are supposed to do their job," said neighbor Sam Hagopian. "And that's what I think they were doing, and they were doing it in a very professional way. They were abusing anybody. They were being abused."

The incident is now under investigation. Sugar Land Police Chief Lisa Womack insists each complaint will be thoroughly reviewed. Regardless of their actions, she says officers had every right to ticket everyone at the party, whether they were drinking alcohol or not.

"If there is enough alcohol to be served to the number of participants who are at the party, then they can all be held in possession of that alcohol," explained Chief Womack.

Two teenagers were also arrested at the party, including the son of former Sugar Land mayor Dean Hrbacek. The teen was taken into custody for refusing to sign his citation.