+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vampyres

ravenofdeath's Avatar Lord of Death

Default Vampyres

Ok so i got this thing i would like to ask u. If a Chirstian Vampyre fears the cross, does a Jewish Vampyre fear the Star of David?

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

Default Re: Vampyres

probably i play VTM and thats how it works (if it works at all which is hardly at all)

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

In my opinion, if that means a damn. I believe that it isn't the actual symbol that puts fear into a vampire but the faith put into it. Therefore yes a vampire would be put off by the Star of David as well as the Christian Cross.

If anything, it will make them angry, and infuriate them, instead of repelling them, regardless of the symblol.

btw, the religious symbol doesnt matter, it is simply a Foci.

I think Polanski toyed with the idea in the 'Fearless Vampire Killers';
    likewise, he portrays the jewish vampires as being pissed off cause they have to sleep in simple wooden boxes.....

Who told you that they fear the cross?

Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    Who told you that they fear the cross?
    thats common vampire lore

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    thats common vampire lore
    are you shure

yes i think it started with dracula and its a very commmon peice of lore that most modern authors ignore

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

of course now you got to ask what would a sikh vampire fear , or a pagan vampire , the possibilities are endless

yes i think it started with dracula and its a very commmon peice of lore that most modern authors ignore
    okay

devil13's Avatar Senior Diablo

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    of course now you got to ask what would a sikh vampire fear , or a pagan vampire , the possibilities are endless
    Depends on who's writing the book/Script

ravenofdeath's Avatar Lord of Death

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    ok so ur saying that a budist vampyre would fear a statue of Budda, and so on?

well i think the whole point behind vampires fearing the cross is that they ar e are unholy biengs and the cross to them represents the wrath of thier creator or that it protects rightous a buddist vampire might be different because the faith structure ist centered around an almighty creator.

well i think the whole point behind vampires fearing the cross is that they ar e are unholy biengs and the cross to them represents the wrath of thier creator or that it protects rightous a buddist vampire might be different because the faith structure ist centered around an almighty creator.
    more so in Japan than China they have demons, gods, and ghost storries. its not so much the wrath of a creator as it is good vs. evil spirits.

Ellis's Avatar Kuwabara Kuwabara

Quote Originally Posted by ravenofdeath
    Ok so i got this thing i would like to ask u. If a Chirstian Vampyre fears the cross, does a Jewish Vampyre fear the Star of David?
    Well, it really depends on the mythos. for instance, in most cases vampires(with an "i") exist because of some action on the christians gods part. This is implying that Christianity is the true religion, and therefore the only religion with... magical powers... Basically, it isnt an individual thing, its related the the primogen, be it lilith or cain or whathaveyou. Olix, I cannot tell if you are joking around, because I cannot decipher your english to a usable extent, but yeah, commonly vampires are afraid of religious symbols, usually crosses. There are a number of other vampire quirks that have fallen somewhat into disuse due to their oddity, such as the idea that if a vampire were to come across some spilled beans, they must stop to count all of the beans, or if they were to come across some knotted rope, they must unknot the rope. There are a number of odd vampire facts... Im pretty sure you can fin d anything you need to know pretty easily at your city library.
    ~Ellis

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

The original vampire mythologies from Eastern Europe contain little to no mention of crosses.

OEC

Ellis's Avatar Kuwabara Kuwabara

[QUOTE=OneEyedCat]The original vampire mythologies from Eastern Europe contain little to no mentiWell, if you want to go that route...

The ORIGIONAL vampire myths existed loooong before christianity even existed, so itsa moot fucking point. We are talking about modern day vampires here... its not like were going back in time to hunt vampires... we need up to the minute information.

And garlic.

And yeah, batman.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Even after Kyiv was christianized in 988, the mythos remained the same. They were called upir in Ukraine. They did not necessarily even take a human form. A "vampire" could be a water sprite or simply a force that knocked you off your horse. Some believe the "living dead" aspect came after villagers dug up the recently deceased (often suicides) that were blamed for bringing bad luck to the village. After rigor mortis subsides, if you press on the chest of a corpse it may make a "scream" due to the air released.

OEC

There are many ways devised to spot a vampire if it was believed that such a creature was roaming the region. One way was to place a naked virgin (preferrably female) on a horse and parade them through a graveyard. If the horse decided not to walk over a burial site, this was then believed to be the resting place of a vampire and the body inside was exhumed and subsequently mutilated.

In fact the cause of vampirism is in many ways connected with religion, especially where excommunication is concerned; a person who is excommunicated is treated with deep suspicion and distrust as there is a belief that anyone who has upset religious faith, and subsequently punished by the priesthood, must be evil and may turn into vampires. Also it is common practice for some temples at certain times of the year, often in southern regions of the Old World, to distribute garlic to its parishioners, because garlic is seen as a powerful herb to counteract the smell of death and anyone who does not eat it is treated with suspicion; that he might be in league with evil forces or might even be a vampire.

A baby born with a caul (the amniotic membrane which covers the head that some babies are born with), or even born with teeth, may be seen as an agent of evil by some communities and will be prevented from eating it lest the baby become polluted and turn into a vampire.Also a baby born on certain religious days of the year maybe seen as cursed by some communities. They believe that the birth of a baby on a religious day,diverts attention away from the deity they are supposed to be respecting.

People who commit suicide are sometimes seen as cursed and their bodies are typically exhumed after a matter of months to a few years to check that the corpses still lie in their coffins or that they are definitely dead. Falling under the same cloud of suspicion are the corpses of people who have died suddenly or unexpectedly.

The Prevention of Vampirism
    Just as there are measures to identify a vampire that are many measures for the prevention of vampirism. A common prevention is to stop animals from passing over a corpse, as some people believed that if a black cat or dog jumps over a corpse, the deceased would turn into a vampire. Other preventions include placing a thorny rose, or a religious symbol, in a grave; placing garlic on windows and rubbing it on cattle; placing a large rock over the grave to prevent the corpse's return from death; burying corpses face-down so that should they turn into vampires they would have to dig deeper into the ground because they would be facing the wrong direction; decapitating the body; wrapping the corpse in heavy cloth, believing that it would be much more difficult for it to rise from the dead, and, similarly, binding a corpse's hands and legs with rope or chains or nailing its clothes to the coffin. It is also believed that Vampires have a fascination for counting and that by placing millet or poppy seeds in a grave the Vampire will rise at night, count all the seeds until sunrise and by that time it will be too late.

The above methods have come about through the lack of knowledge about the human body and its transformation after death. The dead body goes through natural states of decomposition and people believe this to be evidence of corpses transforming into vampires. For example, hair and nails continue to grow, indicating continued life; the corpse becomes bloated, as a result of naturally occurring gasses in the body, meaning that it feeds on the living; blood sometimes appearing near the mouth, as a result of bodily decay, indicating the drinking of blood; the typically grotesque appearance of a corpse complete with pale skin, indicating vampirism and the need for blood.

Many cultures of the Known World have legends in some way connected to the vampire myth and many of them have come from faraway lands of the south and east,Vampires were commonly referred to as Vampir or Vampyre, and today these words have usurped the more German-sounding blutsaeuger (Bloodsucker).
    In France, Nosferatu,which is believed to derive from an eastern Romanian term for 'unclean one' called necuratul.
    in other places they are known as Wamphyrio. known as Stregoni; in Russia which shares much in common with Romanian Vampire myth, at least on its southern fringes, they are known as Upyr and Upior.in Albany, there is rumoured to be a vampiric race known as the Buhvan-Sith, in the guise of beautiful women they entrance male travellers and dance with them until they drop and then feed on their blood.

Further away from the Old World the Vampire myth is even more intriguing. In China there have been tales told of the Kiang Shi who are Vampires with red eyes and green or pink hair; in Japan there is the Kyuketsuki, which can take the form of a cat; and in the elsewhere there is the Obayifo. The myth of the Obayifo has been brought back from sailors . it was a Vampiric creature who could become like fire and haunt the night searching for blood, only when it had fed enough does it resume human form. Apparently the Obayifo had to collect enough blood to please a demon. Another Vampire, of which there are many, is the Popobawa. Apparently it looked human but could take the form of a one-eye, bat-winged baboon.

Incredibly ancient hieroglyphics of Egyptian origin depict creatures with the upper body of a woman and the lower body of a winged Serpant, called Vorkudlak as something close to Vampire. In Arab areas:a Vampire is known as an Algul but there are also the Ekimmu. The Ekimmu was supposed to be a Vampire which rose from the dead when hungry and would feed on human blood if sacrifices weren't left near its grave.

In India there are many Vampire legends First, there is the Rakshasas, found in ancient paintings on the walls of caves, holding a blood-filled goblet in the form of a human skull standing in a pool of blood. The Rakshasas has long been portrayed as a Vampire, although this myth is more prevalent in northern India. Then there is the Baital, a curious vampiric monster who hangs upside down like a bat. This creature is supposedly devoid of blood and must feed on humans to survive. Another was called the Penangalen, a Vampire whose head was encircled in intestines and drank blood from a skull goblet whose particular prey were infants. One of the most famous Vampires to come west was the one called Kali. She wore a garland of corpses and skulls, had fangs and four arms and was worshipped as a goddess.

CarnalxKiss's Avatar Carnal Love Goddess

Quote Originally Posted by ravenofdeath
    lol that reminds me of the jokes i heard on the movie Blade trininty...funny funny

CarnalxKiss's Avatar Carnal Love Goddess

on a serious note though...I always thought it wasnt the object so much as it was the faith behind it...

It's the faith instead of the holy symbol, though from what I remember, it will actually make them stronger, since they hate the symbol, although that varies with Bloodline, and Region.**

like I said before it really depends on who is writing the story. It originated from myth and legends but there has been several different versions of the story. you can write your own version and make it completely the opposite from the rest. you can have vampires that are not affraid of any religious symbols and that can walk in daylight or whatever. let your imagination run with it and make something that has never been done before.

jenova_sin's Avatar the sweet lips of cruelty

I would honestly see the assault on the vampire not really as the symbol of self but the projection of faith then again(Brightstar kudos to u).... Then again you can view them as both moot points since what people see as faith is almost an act of desperation rather than a spiritual devotion to a higher power. So I say that crosses and faith do squat, however dismemberment, and the light of the sun are still bloody nonos.

^v^ - Actually I'm rather fond of looking at crucifexes
    German

yes i think

chaosfeary's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis
    we need up to the minute information.

And garlic.

Garlic= Yummy with Butter and Bread.

KazumiStar's Avatar Junior Member