+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: fav. goth rock song

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

Default Re: fav. goth rock song

Quote Originally Posted by CarnalxKiss
    Having heard at least 100 of their songs now....they can be considered gothic rock....i compare them to the old cult...and the 69 eyes.....rocking goth......they speak of darkness, blood, death. sadism, lost love...depression, murder....all of these fit in the goth genre....hell a genre such as goth cannot be made up of just *goth* bands....what about nick cave, pj harvey, diamanda galas, Leonard Cohen....etc etc...all of these bands are big in the Goth scene...because the music speaks for them...not a label or stereotype....The cramps never made a song that sounded goth...but hell they are considered goth or punk...because of the uniquness and diversity...and the lyrics...The damned are awesome...always have been always will be...the point i guess im trying to make is this...almost any type of music can be considered goth...if it has the makings of the gothic movement.....darkness, eerieness, ecclecticness...who and what is to determine a frame of mind?..

The lyrics may be gothish but I would have a very hard time considering the music goth it sounds more like modern rock the stereo type of goth rock is that it sounds a lot like punk with sythesizers and HIM sounds nothing like that and when you talk about goth rock that usually means you are talking about that specific type of music people consider sythpop bands like Depeche Mode goth as well but they arent goth rock.

Damn... so many good bands I forgot about... Christian Death, Sex Gang Children, Bigod20... Time to dig up some old CDs, hehe... Thanks for reminding me CarnalX and devil13...!

Ichigo's Avatar Senior Member

Having heard at least 100 of their songs now....they can be considered gothic rock....i compare them to the old cult...and the 69 eyes.....rocking goth......they speak of darkness, blood, death. sadism, lost love...depression, murder....all of these fit in the goth genre....hell a genre such as goth cannot be made up of just *goth* bands....what about nick cave, pj harvey, diamanda galas, Leonard Cohen....etc etc...all of these bands are big in the Goth scene...because the music speaks for them...not a label or stereotype....The cramps never made a song that sounded goth...but hell they are considered goth or punk...because of the uniquness and diversity...and the lyrics...The damned are awesome...always have been always will be...the point i guess im trying to make is this...almost any type of music can be considered goth...if it has the makings of the gothic movement.....darkness, eerieness, ecclecticness...who and what is to determine a frame of mind?..
    A lot of non-goth bands speak of topics like that. I've never heard the cramps referred to as goth either, they've always been called psychobilly. Just because you have this so-called "frame of mind" doesn't make you goth. Goth is a style of music and dress.

CarnalxKiss's Avatar Carnal Love Goddess

to me goth isnt music or dress....it is mind...i am what you consider fromt he 1st wave of *gothers*...the damned, joy divison, early bauhaus etc etc...and im still goth and will always be...but i dress normal and look normal....does that mean now im prep or a rocker?...no..it means i am a breed...not a label hun..

Goth·ic ( P ) Pronunciation Key (gthk)
    adj.

Of or relating to the Goths or their language.
    Germanic; Teutonic.
    Of or relating to the Middle Ages; medieval.

Of or relating to an architectural style prevalent in western Europe from the 12th through the 15th century and characterized by pointed arches, rib vaulting, and a developing emphasis on verticality and the impression of height.
    Of or relating to an architectural style derived from medieval Gothic.

Of or relating to painting, sculpture, or other art forms prevalent in northern Europe from the 12th through the 15th century.

often gothic Of or relating to a style of fiction that emphasizes the grotesque, mysterious, and desolate.

gothic Barbarous; crude.

anyways, not to take over this thread maybe a *what exactly is goth* thread is what we need...music is music...darkness (goth to me) can be in any type of music...

Quote Originally Posted by Ichigo
    Just because someone looks goth, doesn't mean that they are.
    Goth is a style of music and dress.
    which one is it?..because half of todays *goths* ,.. the way they dress are either punk, ethnic or religious garbs all mixed up...

i guess you all are speaking figuratively...as in the specific world music federation( lol is there such a thing?) genre description. is there a Goth genre in that federation?...cuz to me...that in itself i find hysterical......moonlight sonata...is probably the eldest gothic song...hell no lets go back even farther in classical music...im sure we will find more..i think gothic...i think darkness...i think romance...beauty..passion... i think punk i think anger...rebellion...politics..

Maybe im just too old school to be worryin about 100 million specific genres of music..and who deemed them to be so..

I've heard everything you've told me many many times from other people. If that's the way you feel then I'm not going to argue with you anymore.

Mainly what I was getting at is that goth bands have a distinct sound, and HIM did not fit into that sound. I don't label myself goth either, I'm just using the term to describe a style of dress and also a style of music.

Bedlamite

which one is it?..because half of todays *goths* ,.. the way they dress are either punk, ethnic or religious garbs all mixed up...

i guess you all are speaking figuratively...as in the specific world music federation( lol is there such a thing?) genre description. is there a Goth genre in that federation?...cuz to me...that in itself i find hysterical......moonlight sonata...is probably the eldest gothic song...hell no lets go back even farther in classical music...im sure we will find more..i think gothic...i think darkness...i think romance...beauty..passion... i think punk i think anger...rebellion...politics..

Maybe im just too old school to be worryin about 100 million specific genres of music..and who deemed them to be so..
    I agree with you. Goth really is a 'state of mind' thing, and so it should stay. We should all really stop saying "What Goth Is" because its a stupid fight. Because one person doesn't think that Alice Cooper or Marlyn Manson are goth, or the other only thinks that Black Tape for a Blue girl, or Type O Negative are goth. Its personal. Like religion.

I don't label myself goth either, I'm just using the term to describe a style of dress and also a style of music.
    Then you don't really belong seeing yourself as any expert on being a goth then, do you?

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

I've always preferred *gothic* to *goth* as it is more descriptive of a frame of mind, genre of literature, type of architecture. *Goth* seems very limiting to me.

OEC

jenova_sin's Avatar the sweet lips of cruelty

Virgin Prunes - Baby Turns Blue

mwahahahha
    yes the obvious stuff
    ^v^ - Not To feel and who are you!!!!
    German

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedanima
    Then you don't really belong seeing yourself as any expert on being a goth then, do you?
    Does anyone really still label themselves after high school though? I didn't think many people did, because it doesn't matter anymore. I've been listening to goth music for six years, so I do have quite a bit of knowledge on it. I didn't mean for this to get into a big argument though, because I'm used to people sharing my viewpoints. If it's goth to you, then that's how you perceive it.

devil13's Avatar Senior Diablo

Quote Originally Posted by jenova_sin
    Virgin Prunes - Baby Turns Blue

mwahahahha
    yes the obvious stuff
    ^v^ - Not To feel and who are you!!!!
    German
    give me money, give me sex, give me food and cigerettes
    Caucasian walk was another favorite

Does anyone really still label themselves after high school though? I didn't think many people did, because it doesn't matter anymore. I've been listening to goth music for six years, so I do have quite a bit of knowledge on it. I didn't mean for this to get into a big argument though, because I'm used to people sharing my viewpoints. If it's goth to you, then that's how you perceive it.
    yea I hate all the new names for shit now. theres goth, darkwave, industrial, synth pop, punk, psychobilly, etc. etc. I only use labels to kinda discribe the way someone looks. I mean I look kinda rockabilly but thats not all I am about. as far as labelling the music I hate it because there are soo many bands that dont fit the labels they have or are too virsitile to be labeled as one thing. so I dont think anyone should argue over weather its goth or not because we all like the music weather its labeled goth or not.

jenova_sin's Avatar the sweet lips of cruelty

Quote Originally Posted by devil13
    give me money, give me sex, give me food and cigerettes
    Caucasian walk was another favorite

hahha my life story except for the caucasian walk part.
    Have you ever heard the weird PG-13 version of that song its creepy... I don'T like it one bit...

^v^ - Hey atleast i didnt say Suspiria - the Swine! OINK! bitchs!!
    German

ASF - Hurricane Fighter Plane
    Laibach - Sympathy for the Devil
    Diamanda Galas - Double Barrel Prayer
    Blood Axis - Lord of Ages.........

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    ASF - Hurricane Fighter Plane
    Laibach - Sympathy for the Devil
    Diamanda Galas - Double Barrel Prayer
    Blood Axis - Lord of Ages.........
    OooOOoOoooo Another Diamanda Galas fan....now if i could find a few lydia lunch and pj harvey fiends....hehehe

OooOOoOoooo Another Diamanda Galas fan....now if i could find a few lydia lunch and pj harvey fiends....hehehe
    Diamanda Galas I like allot of her stuff. she did the sound effects in the movie Serpent & the Rainbow.
    Lydia Lunch I allways loved her poetry. I have this one book of her and Exene doing poetry.
    never really got into PJ Harvey. not that I didnt like her music, just really didnt get into it.

+ Reply to Thread